Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Bill Barron - Modern Windows (1962)
Booker Little - And Friend (1961)

George Russell - The Outer View (1962)
Anamari - s/t (1964)

king ubu

Who the heck is Anamari?

The other three are all excellent rekkids!  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on December 11, 2018, 09:19:51 PM
Who the heck is Anamari?

The other three are all excellent rekkids!  :)

Real name Anna Schofield. That appears to be her one and only album.

As with the other three it has Pete La Roca on drums which is what lead me to it.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 11, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
Real name Anna Schofield. That appears to be her one and only album.

As with the other three it has Pete La Roca on drums which is what lead me to it.

Interesting, that's the Art Farmer Quartet of that time (which was a mighty fine group!) - never saw the cover or heard of this!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Roberto Ottaviano's latest ... with my dear friend Alexander Hawkins on piano (and organ and rhodes) ... released sometime in October, but I only just got it (always takes a while for Dodicilune stuff to come around, this one I got via Amazon Italy), but I guess it was worth the wait. Ottaviano sticks to soprano (his other main axe is the alto) and things open with some South African grooves, which I so dearly love (and which Hawkins has totally down by now, after years with the great band of Louis Moholo): "Uhuru", the opener, is a traditional, then we proceed with Dollar Brand's unkillable "African Marketplace", opener and title track of one of my all-time favourites. There follow pieces by Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman, Elton Dean, Coltrane and Don Cherry, with two Ottaviano-penned tunes in between.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

I love this genre bending 2018 release from Charles Lloyd -

As far as I can tell it's the second recording to come from the group he calls The Marvels, a group that includes my favorite guitarist, Bill Frisell.  This new one features Lucinda Williams and is simply transcendent, imo.

The earlier recording is also good,

Here's some info about the Vanished Gardens, "A friend had turned me on to Lucinda when Car Wheels On a Gravel Road came out," Lloyd recalls. "Lu has worked a lot with Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz, so a couple of years ago she came to one of my Marvels concerts at the Lobero Theater in Santa Barbara. It was our first meeting and I sensed a deep Southern crossroads connection. Not long after that meeting she invited me to guest at her UCLA concert and then I invited her to guest at one of my concerts about a year later... It was clear we had something we wanted to explore together."

Williams is featured on five of the ten tracks on Vanished Gardens, including expansive new versions of her well-known songs "Dust," "Ventura" and "Unsuffer Me," as well as a full-hearted interpretation of Jimi Hendrix's "Angel" that closes the album. Alternating with the vocal tracks are five sublime instrumental offerings including three new Lloyd originals and versions of Thelonious Monk's "Monk's Mood" and the Roberta Flack popularized song "Ballad of The Sad Young Men."

king ubu

I got the second one only and didn't like it all that much I'm afraid ... but this one I think is really strong:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on December 13, 2018, 11:51:30 PM
I got the second one only and didn't like it all that much I'm afraid ... but this one I think is really strong:

I get where you are coming from (but judging from your Roberto Ottaviano post, our tastes don't always intersect).

The Lloyd recording you mention features a different group, and comes from a different place.  But that's the cool thing about Lloyd, he has crossed boundaries throughout his career.  I am a fan of Lloyd's records but can understand why his work with The Marvels might venture outside many jazz fans' comfort zone. 

I particularly like Bill Frisell, another artist who is hard to classify other than as a great musician; and have been a fan of Lucinda Williams for decades - so Vanished Gardens is right in my wheel house.  Plus, I like to see artists who on the surface may not appear to have much in common create something new for both with a collaboration.

But if you're looking for a strictly jazz record by Charles Lloyd, Vanished Gardens would not be the one I'd suggest.

SimonNZ

I met a friend for drinks a few days ago and he wss strongly recommending that Lloyd album with Lucinda Williams.

king ubu

@san antone Indeed, so it seems ... but some of these country-folkish-jazzy things do please me a lot ("Rambling Boy" by Charlie Haden for instance).

I like Frisell as well, but not so much his most recent stuff, so I stopped following closely what he releases.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

1963: New Directions
released November 16, 2018

Followup to Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album, includes the rest of the material from Coltrane's recordings during 1963 from the albums Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Dear Old Stockholm, Newport '63 and Live at Birdland.  A five-LP vinyl box set version of the 3CD collection is also planned for 4 January 2019.

EDIT: At first I thought it didn't duplicate the tracks from The Lost Album, but that is not the case.  So, this new box is better suited to those who delayed buying the earlier recording, such as myself.

;)

king ubu

Quote from: San Antone on December 14, 2018, 07:02:15 AM

1963: New Directions
released November 16, 2018

Followup to Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album, includes the rest of the material from Coltrane's recordings during 1963 from the albums Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Dear Old Stockholm, Newport '63 and Live at Birdland.  A five-LP vinyl box set version of the 3CD collection is also planned for 4 January 2019.

EDIT: At first I thought it didn't duplicate the tracks from The Lost Album, but that is not the case.  So, this new box is better suited to those who delayed buying the earlier recording, such as myself.

;)

It looks like a very nice presentation ... but there's nothing in there I haven't already bought (some of it twice ... I was one of those who ended up with the botched version of "Live at Birdland" in its "Impulse Masters Sessions" edition ... I found out in 2010, around 14 years after buying the reissue, and then started this discussion about it: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59529-john-coltrane-live-at-birdland/ )

Either way, to me this looks like a bit of a rip-off package ... it seems though to at least contain all the "Lost Album" material (i.e. the "deluxe" 2CD version w/alternate takes).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on December 15, 2018, 12:28:05 AM
It looks like a very nice presentation ... but there's nothing in there I haven't already bought (some of it twice ... I was one of those who ended up with the botched version of "Live at Birdland" in its "Impulse Masters Sessions" edition ... I found out in 2010, around 14 years after buying the reissue, and then started this discussion about it: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59529-john-coltrane-live-at-birdland/ )

Either way, to me this looks like a bit of a rip-off package ... it seems though to at least contain all the "Lost Album" material (i.e. the "deluxe" 2CD version w/alternate takes).

Yeah, could be a rip-off - but for someone like myself who never bought the Lost Album, it makes more sense.  Bottomline, it is available to stream so that's how I'll listen in any event.  I did think it odd that this came out so soon after the Lost Album recording ...  :-\  which is why I assumed it did not duplicate those tracks.

king ubu

Quote from: San Antone on December 15, 2018, 01:45:17 AM
Yeah, could be a rip-off - but for someone like myself who never bought the Lost Album, it makes more sense.  Bottomline, it is available to stream so that's how I'll listen in any event.  I did think it odd that this came out so soon after the Lost Album recording ...  :-\  which is why I assumed it did not duplicate those tracks.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I got the news via Japan initially and thought this may be one of the oddities and extravagances the Land of the Rising Sun still does, CD-wise ... I am *still* tempted by this new one, just because it looks so nice  ???
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Alek Hidell

Áine O'Dwyer: Gallarais (2018)

Barney Wilen: Barney (1959)

Nineteen fifty-nine was a pretty decent year for jazz ... :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

king ubu

Quote from: Alek Hidell on December 15, 2018, 07:00:37 PM

Barney Wilen: Barney (1959)

Nineteen fifty-nine was a pretty decent
year for jazz ... :)
Oh, it was?  ;)

That Wilen set (two full discs) surely ranks high!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

George

Now enjoying the final disc in this 6CD set. So glad I was able to get a cheap copy used on amazon.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

San Antone

Cecil Taylor : Jazz Advance

His first misunderstood recording.