What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Gents, if you care, please check early recordings by Stefon Harris. They are hip and fashionable.

aligreto

Al Di Meoli: Flesh On Flesh

I am not sure how to catergorise this music; jazz fusion I suppose. However, the fusion of different genres of music is sonically very interesting and engaging. The occasional element of the breathy flute is atmospheric. We often take these things for granted when listening to various genres of music but the virtuosity of the various musicians on this album is quite superb!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on December 16, 2021, 02:06:13 PM
Al Di Meoli: Flesh On Flesh

I am not sure how to catergorise this music; jazz fusion I suppose. However, the fusion of different genres of music is sonically very interesting and engaging. The occasional element of the breathy flute is atmospheric. We often take these things for granted when listening to various genres of music but the virtuosity of the various musicians on this album is quite superb!

Classic!  Great player.

VonStupp

A Very Swingin' Basie Christmas

Ellis Marsalis, piano
The Count Basie Orchestra

VonStupp's 25 Days of Christmas
An apt title.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Roy Hargrove: Of Kindred Souls (Live).

T. D.

New acquisitions (not new releases) I'll be listening to this weekend.

Artem

Coltrane and Parker. Fantastic musicians that will make any weekend a great one.

This evening I listened to the following. Baker's Quartet works like a great Christmas music too.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Amazing Bud Powell, vol. 1.

aligreto

Paco de Lucía, Al Di Meola & John McLaughlin: Friday Night in San Francisco

Man, I would have liked to have been present at that session. Virtuoso guitarists at the top of their game. The atmosphere is electric.

mabuse

About William Parker, I don't know him much ...
Do you have any favorite albums from him ?

T. D.

William Parker records really prolifically, both as a leader and sideman. I find it too much to keep up with all of his recordings (see the Allmusic page for instance). I'll mention some I own and like.
He has a bandcamp page, https://williamparker.bandcamp.com/
where you can play selections from many recordings.
As leader, O'Neal's Porch and Meditation/Resurrection, but most of the Aum Fidelity titles you can find at bandcamp are good. I have a couple of his Eremite recordings, which are probably oop.

One sideman recording (of many) I like is Planetary Unknown, which you can listen to on David S. Ware's bandcamp page (I'm a fan of pianist Cooper-Moore, so any Parker recording with him should be worthwhile).

There's a nice box set Centering of older archival material on NoBusiness, but probably better to start elsewhere.

Parker and drummer Hamid Drake are a highly regarded rhythm section and play on many recordings. One that comes to mind is

Just noticed Eremite has a bandcamp page, so you should be able to audition more.

mabuse

Thank you very much T.D.!
Your indications will help me.

About Hamid Drake, I remember this one, quite fun, especially if you like reggae music :
Hamid Drake & BinduReggaeology
Rogueart (2010)

Brian

Quote from: Artem on December 18, 2021, 01:33:26 PM
This evening I listened to the following. Baker's Quartet works like a great Christmas music too.
This reminds me to dig out that old Lionel Hampton album that randomly contains "Jingle Bells" in a lineup of otherwise totally not Christmas music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Joe Henderson: Mode For Joe.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Groovin' with Tate: Buddy Tate.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Dexter Gordon: Go

I liked this album a lot. The playing is excellent from all concerned. There is great drive and delivery in the faster tempo tunes and a wonderful atmosphere and tone in the slower ones. Great sound too!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on December 24, 2021, 02:01:57 PM
Dexter Gordon: Go

I liked this album a lot. The playing is excellent from all concerned. There is great drive and delivery in the faster tempo tunes and a wonderful atmosphere and tone in the slower ones. Great sound too!

Masterpiece. The sound was done by Rudy Van Gelder. Have you watched the movie, Round Midnight? Merry Christmas, Fergus!

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 24, 2021, 02:17:55 PM
Masterpiece. The sound was done by Rudy Van Gelder. Have you watched the movie, Round Midnight? Merry Christmas, Fergus!

No, I have not seen Round Midnight but I will watch out for it.
Thank you for the recommendation.
Merry Christmas to you too, Manabu. I hope that it is a safe and peaceful one for you.