Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Count Basie: Live in Paris vol.2.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

For Heavens Sake, Ben Webster.

aligreto

Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby

It is interesting that on this one there are two different takes of each of three numbers. One of the issues was, for me anyway, that the bass was too closely miced and too boomy. Everything is much tighter and more balanced in the takes that were "used".

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on December 28, 2021, 12:52:48 PM
Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby

It is interesting that on this one there are two different takes of each of three numbers. One of the issues was, for me anyway, that the bass was too closely miced and too boomy. Everything is much tighter and more balanced in the takes that were "used".

In contrast to Miles Davis, Bill Evans always wanted a bassist who plays extended and many notes. Probably he wanted a duet with bass, more than a pure piano trio format. I like all the drummers, but none of bassists, in his trio.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 28, 2021, 04:27:12 PM
In contrast to Miles Davis, Bill Evans always wanted a bassist who plays extended and many notes. Probably he wanted a duet with bass, more than a pure piano trio format. I like all the drummers, but none of bassists, in his trio.

You have augmented my knowledge many fold with those gems of knowledge. Thank you for that  ;)

Artem

Sunday At The Village Vanguard is one of my all time favourite disks. It was my gateway recording to appreciate jazz music, but I still haven't listened to the Waltz for Debby, although it's from the same session.

aligreto

Quote from: Artem on December 29, 2021, 11:56:27 AM
Sunday At The Village Vanguard is one of my all time favourite disks. It was my gateway recording to appreciate jazz music, but I still haven't listened to the Waltz for Debby, although it's from the same session.

That should, therefore, not be too great a leap for either of us.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on December 29, 2021, 06:55:01 AM
You have augmented my knowledge many fold with those gems of knowledge. Thank you for that  ;)

It's just my personal preference about the bass and I like all the recordings by his trio.

P.s. I love Paul Motian. What a drummer!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Israel, Bill Evans. Inspired by the posts above.

aligreto

Ana Caram: Blue Bossa & Hollywood Rio

I was recently introduced to the music making of Ana Caram with the two albums above. I had not come across her before. These are categorised as Jazz; not for me. Crossover jazz perhaps, bossa nova, an indulgence in terms of certain covers? Either way, neither of the albums was engaging for me on any level.

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 30, 2021, 06:58:48 AM
Israel, Bill Evans. Inspired by the posts above.

I trust that you enjoyed it, my friend.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on December 30, 2021, 07:18:51 AM
I trust that you enjoyed it, my friend.

Yes, great album!

The Blues and the Abstract Truth. Oliver Nelson.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I Get A Kick Out Of You, Clifford Brown.

T. D.

Some old Tapscott reissues I recently acquired:

And this just arrived:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mingus Big Band: Live in Time.

SimonNZ

aligreto

Ella Fitzgerald: The Intimate Ella

This is definitely an intimate occasion. It is most certainly a compelling performance, at least to these uneducated ears. It is simply her voice, the piano player and you. Absolutely wonderful stuff!!

George

Good idea, aligreto!

Now spinning:

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure