What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Wycliffe Gordon: Dreams of New Orleans

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 2

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 2:

Just You, Just Me (Tenor Conclave – 9/7/56)
Bob's Boys (Tenor Conclave – 9/7/56)
Mating Call (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
Soultrane (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
Gnid (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
Super Jet (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
On A Misty Night (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
Romas (Tadd Dameron – Mating Call – 11/30/56)
Soul Eyes (Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors – 3/22/57)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Charlie Parker with Woody Herman Big Band.

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 3

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 3:

Anatomy (Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors – 3/22/57)
Interplay (Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors – 3/22/57)
Light Blue (Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors – 3/22/57)
C.T.A. (Art Taylor – Taylor's Wailers – 3/22/57)
Eclypso (The Cats – 4/18/57)
Solacium (The Cats – 4/18/57)
Minor Mishap (The Cats – 4/18/57)
Tommy's Tune (The Cats – 4/18/57)

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on February 25, 2022, 01:54:39 PM
John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings

These are great sessions - some of the best of John Coltrane.  This box, along with the Prestige sessions for Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins would make up the core of any Jazz fan's basic collection.

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on February 25, 2022, 02:23:47 PM
These are great sessions - some of the best of John Coltrane.  This box, along with the Prestige sessions for Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins would make up the core of any Jazz fan's basic collection.

Cheers.
I cannot pretend that I am knowledgeable about Jazz but I am certainly enjoying this set so far. Both the music and the music making seem to me to be top drawer and very enjoyable. The foot keeps tapping and I keep wanting to hear more. That has to be a good, engaging sign at the very least.

SimonNZ

T. D.

SimonNZ

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

San Antone

Artem

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Artem

I was surprised to learn from the liner note of Quiet Kenny that the Quiet Kenny and Giants Steps featured the same players.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Art and Perception, Art Farmer.

Artem

Duke Jordan's CD is very nice, but it is spoiled by inclusion of additional takes within the original run of the album. I don't understand that. Bonus tracks should be on a bonus CD or at least at the very end of the disk.

Brian

Quote from: Artem on March 08, 2022, 11:12:28 AM
Duke Jordan's CD is very nice, but it is spoiled by inclusion of additional takes within the original run of the album. I don't understand that. Bonus tracks should be on a bonus CD or at least at the very end of the disk.
I agree. When there are three tracks in a row of the same song, it's a tiring listening experience. When you get to the end and then hear another version, your ears have been refreshed.

SimonNZ

I can't think of a single jazz album I thought was improved by the addition of alternate takes.

An early edition of the Penguin Guide to Jazz had a not from the editor saying he wasn't going to give higher ratings for discs that included bonus material, as in his opinion records tend to be too long rather than too short.

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on March 08, 2022, 11:41:32 AM
I agree. When there are three tracks in a row of the same song, it's a tiring listening experience. When you get to the end and then hear another version, your ears have been refreshed.

Agreed.
One of my absolute all-time favorite jazz releases, Complete Blue Note and Capitol Recordings of Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron, is somewhat marred by 1 alternate take consistently being placed immediately after the master. So you're more or less listening to 2 CDs worth of back-to-back repeats. But the music's so damn good that I sit through it anyway.

OTOH, true Charlie Parker fanatics go for the multi alternate takes despite possible repetition, because you never know what kind of amazing s**t Bird is going to play in his solos...But to be honest, I'm not fond of the endless fragments and outtakes in the  Bird Verve box and have not sprung for the Complete Savoy/Dial set.

San Antone

From Rags to Rhythm | Marcus Roberts Trio

Not only does this recording contain some great Jazz playing and songwriting - but the sound of the record is phenomenal, especially the bass.