What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 06, 2022, 01:54:46 PM
Good to know about the guy's name!
I haven't checked his classical recordings.
How are they?
Benny Goodman's classical recordings are somewhat controversial - although he did train in classical music he still had a unique personal style very different from most classical clarinetists. You either like it or dislike it and I suggest finding a sample track or two on streaming or YouTube to decide your own view. (Personally I think they're OK but quite strange.)

JBS

Quote from: Brian on April 06, 2022, 06:14:18 PM
Benny Goodman's classical recordings are somewhat controversial - although he did train in classical music he still had a unique personal style very different from most classical clarinetists. You either like it or dislike it and I suggest finding a sample track or two on streaming or YouTube to decide your own view. (Personally I think they're OK but quite strange.)

Several of them are available cheaply as used CDs.
He recorded the Mozart concerto three times, the last one being a live recording in Vienna.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 06, 2022, 01:54:46 PM
Good to know about the guy's name!
I haven't checked his classical recordings.
How are they?

I have not heard them but I know that he played works by Bartok and Arnold amongst others. The only Classical works that he performed and that I am familiar with are the Mozart Clarinet Concerto and the Mozart Clarinet Quintet. Given the required change of discipline I think he performed admirably in these works.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you gents, I will explore his recordings mentioned by you. Plus, I will revisit classical recordings by John Lewis as well.
I am familiar with Bach works by Keith Jarret and they are excellent.

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 7

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 7:

Dealin' (Take 1) (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)
Dealin' (Take 2) (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)
Wheelin' (Take 1) (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)
Wheelin' (Take 2) (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)
Robbin's Nest (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)
Things Ain't What They Used To Be (Wheelin' & Dealin' – 9/20/57)

SimonNZ

I would have thought the trio album would have been the essential purchase and the late 40s band album the play once then pass on purchase. Turns out it was the exact opposite.

Odd because I remember a previous Goodman trio collection with Teddy Wilson I owned being much more worthy.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on April 07, 2022, 12:47:42 PM
Wheelin' & Dealin'

I'm sure I heard it once but I can't remember it now.

Did anything in particular stand out?

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 08, 2022, 01:46:33 AM

I'm sure I heard it once but I can't remember it now.

Did anything in particular stand out?

Not really for me.
TBH I actually felt just a little cheated because most of the album is taken up with with two takes each of just two songs.
I understand that an avid fan of this music would possibly be enthralled with this but, at my embryonic stage of development I just found it to be just a bit too much.
I would have preferred to hear something else, like the other two tracks on the album.
But that is just me, a newbie, unjustifiably nit picking.  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong: Ella and Louis

Two of the Greats, together.

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on April 08, 2022, 01:54:48 AM
Not really for me.
TBH I actually felt just a little cheated because most of the album is taken up with with two takes each of just two songs.
I understand that an avid fan of this music would possibly be enthralled with this but, at my embryonic stage of development I just found it to be just a bit too much.
I would have preferred to hear something else, like the other two tracks on the album.
But that is just me, a newbie, unjustifiably nit picking.  :)

I had a long bus ride today so I listened to this, And while it was perfectly pleasant I disliked the cliched "round robin" thing on each track where everyone gets an equal 90 second solo every time - whether they want it or not.

On a Coltrane box set it must feel like Coltrane doing a bare minimum then sitting down and wondering why he was there.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 09, 2022, 03:48:03 AM
I had a long bus ride today so I listened to this, And while it was perfectly pleasant I disliked the cliched "round robin" thing on each track where everyone gets an equal 90 second solo every time - whether they want it or not.

On a Coltrane box set it must feel like Coltrane doing a bare minimum then sitting down and wondering why he was there.

Yes, there is an element of what you describe in the box set but, for a newbie trying to explore this music, I find it very good overall as an introduction for me.

aligreto

Modern Jazz Quartet: A 40th Anniversary Celebration

I am not at all familiar with this quartet. What I can tell you is that they celebrate with a host of others on each of the tracks on the album. It all makes for very easy and engaging listening.

SimonNZ

Reminded that "Neo" (originally "Teo") is one of my favorite Miles compositions and its a real pity not only that it didn't become a staple of his future live sets with all its potential explored but also that other artists have so completely overlooked it.

Followed this by playing Someday My Prince Will Come to hear the original studio version (with Coltrane). Had forgotten this album also has "Pfrancing" (aka "No Blues".

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 09, 2022, 03:00:47 PM

Followed this by playing Someday My Prince Will Come to hear the original studio version (with Coltrane). Had forgotten this album also has "Pfrancing" (aka "No Blues".

I Thought About You is one of my favorite recordings by Miles.

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 09, 2022, 03:00:47 PM

Reminded that "Neo" (originally "Teo") is one of my favorite Miles compositions and its a real pity not only that it didn't become a staple of his future live sets with all its potential explored but also that other artists have so completely overlooked it.

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 09, 2022, 03:13:59 PM
I Thought About You is one of my favorite recordings by Miles.

There is so much to learn  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

aligreto

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 10, 2022, 06:34:25 AM
It's a killer tune!  :)

No, that went way over my ignorant head, sorry  :-[   ;D

aligreto

John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings CD 8

(Original album, and recording date, for each track listed in parentheses)

CD 8:

You Leave Me Breathless (John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio a.k.a. Traneing In– 8/23/57)
Bass Blues (John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio a.k.a. Traneing In – 8/23/57)
Soft Lights And Sweet Music (John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio a.k.a. Traneing In – 8/23/57)
Traneing In (John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio a.k.a. Traneing In – 8/23/57)
Slow Dance (John Coltrane with the Red Garland Trio a.k.a. Traneing In – 8/23/57)
Our Delight (Red Garland – All Mornin' Long – 11/15/57)
They Can't Take That Away From Me (Red Garland – All Mornin' Long – 11/15/57)
Woody'n You (Red Garland – Soul Junction – 11/15/57)
I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good (Red Garland – Soul Junction – 11/15/57)

SimonNZ

Quote from: aligreto on April 10, 2022, 12:55:16 PM

All Mornin' Long – 11/15/57)

A sentimental favorite.

I can't makr the case that its objectively better than similar albums, but it was one of the first jazz albums I owned and I got a lot of pleasure from it

last night:

Never much cared for any iteration of this set. Much of the quintet work is fine, but the orchestral parts are a shadow of the studio albums and is particularly out of place on the opening  of "So What".

But after a reassessment having not played it in a decade it was the performance of "Neo" that I came for. For me easily the highlight and a real scorcher performance. Played those nine minutes through four or five times.