What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2022, 03:13:34 PM
A sentimental favorite.

I can't makr the case that its objectively better than similar albums, but it was one of the first jazz albums I owned and I got a lot of pleasure from it

last night:

Never much cared for any iteration of this set. Much of the quintet work is fine, but the orchestral parts are a shadow of the studio albums and is particularly out of place on the opening  of "So What".

But after a reassessment having not played it in a decade it was the performance of "Neo" that I came for. For me easily the highlight and a real scorcher performance. Played those nine minutes through four or five times.

I think it's a great album. I understand about the opening of So What, but I love this version and certainly prefer it to the studio version.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Lee Morgan Vol. 3. Early Lee with Benny Golson.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 10, 2022, 07:11:53 PM
I think it's a great album. I understand about the opening of So What, but I love this version and certainly prefer it to the studio version.

Wow.

It's possible that the poor live sound capture is part of what puts me off in the orchestral parts which I find often shrill an poorly balanced. But I also find the transitions from orchestra to quintet unnatural.

Also I find the Rodrigo thing kind of misguided even on Sketches Of Spain.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2022, 07:38:16 PM
Wow.

It's possible that the poor live sound capture is part of what puts me off in the orchestral parts which I find often shrill an poorly balanced. But I also find the transitions from orchestra to quintet unnatural.

;D ;D

Miles' "autobiography" states that Rodrigo listened to the Miles' SoS version and he was tremendously moved. But of course we can't trust any statement in that book.  ;D

SimonNZ

Huh. I heard a different anecdote somewhere that Rodrigo said he didn't like it and Miles shot back that he should see how much he likes the money.

T. D.

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2022, 08:07:30 PM
Huh. I heard a different anecdote somewhere that Rodrigo said he didn't like it and Miles shot back that he should see how much he likes the money.

That's what I recall. I no longer own the book (autobio ghosted by Troupe) but found the passage online:

Joaquin Rodrigo, the composer of Concierto de Aranjuez, said he didn't like the record, and he—his composition—was the reason I did Sketches of Spain in the first place. Since he was getting a royalty for the use of the song on the record, I told his person who had played it for him, "Let's see if he likes it after he starts getting those big royalty checks." I never heard anything about or from him after that.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 10, 2022, 07:38:16 PM

I never liked Sketches Of Spain tbh.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

T. D.

Quote from: George on April 11, 2022, 07:21:52 AM
Same.  8)

I liked Sketches of Spain for a long time and played it fairly often. But then either my tastes changed or I got tired of the album; for whatever reason I no longer like it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I recall that Miles heard that Rodrigo was moved by the former's recording, got excited and killed a bull- something like that. But I read the book decades ago and I maybe mixed up.
All of the Miles-Gil Evans dates are transitory, still they are fun works and nice changes.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Peche a La Mouche, Django Reinhardt. Django plays an electric guitar.

aligreto

Clark Terry: One On One

I really like this one. It is very paired back in that it is just trumpet with a different piano player on each track. It has a low key atmosphere but is also very engaging at the same time.

Artem

The sound of Miles Davis' horn is so piercing on the Sketches of Spain. I find that album's sound very tiring. I prefer Miles Ahead, personally.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The Wallace Roney Quintet.

aligreto

Benny Carter & Dizzy Gillespie: Sweet and Lovely

What a terrific album with magnificent playing from everyone concerned.

Artem

Fukui's album is very enjoyable, great trio performance, and I'm slowly getting into Chet, because it is way too slow even thought I like slow moody music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Anita O'Day. Live in Tokyo '63.

SimonNZ

Artem

Love Jimmy Smith. I need to get more of his music.