All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 16, 2024, 06:34:59 PMI ignored that part. I was a forum member long before I was a Swiftie.

Like I said, everything is in decline :o

Madiel

Most of all, people's capacity for logic.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2024, 07:01:37 AMI'm having terrible problems with Presto's app.  It freezes up and will stop playing, searching etc. on both the Windows app and through bluos. 

I'm finally going to take Spotted Horses advice and try Amazon Music.

Brings to mind an old colleague who would refuse to recommend any software because "then it will be my fault if it doesn't work." For instance, if I asked him if I could use Adobe Acrobat to format a figure to be included in a word document the farthest he would go would be to say, "I've used Adobe Acrobat to format a figure to include in a word document.

In that spirit, "I've used Apple Music to stream classical music losslessly."

I've very rarely had any buffering issues with Apple Music (and only if I am doing five things at once on my Mac while streaming). I have had an intermittent issue where an album will refuse to play (it tries each track for a few seconds and skips to the next, until it gets to the end). I traced the problem to using my AirPods Max headphones with my old intel based Mac. AirPods Max requires Apple silicon to work properly (no spatial audio or dolby atmos with Intel) and my version of MacOS on that machine is several generations behind, and about to sunset. Oddly it only refuses to play on a few releases, works find on a up-to-date machine or using another audio output. Maybe something not kosher in the source (tagged as Dolby atmos, but not really, etc).

And no booklets. :(

Anyway, 30 day free trial so you can give it a try risk free.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2024, 06:53:29 AMOh no!  OH NO!!!  You're a swifty!!  How did we end up with a Swifty on this forum!?! :o

I had a generally positive impression of Taylor Swift, although I am a bit puzzled how she became the lynchpin of civilization. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Iota

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 21, 2024, 12:50:00 PMI had a generally positive impression of Taylor Swift, although I am a bit puzzled how she became the lynchpin of civilization. :)

Haha, perfectly put! I feel exactly the same on both points.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 21, 2024, 12:50:00 PMI had a generally positive impression of Taylor Swift, although I am a bit puzzled how she became the lynchpin of civilization. :)

Which says less about her than it does about civilisation.

DavidW

Yeah she went from being a star to someone that is idolized and constantly discussed.  I know people that watched the Superbowl just because of Taylor Swift which is just odd.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 21, 2024, 12:46:31 PMIn that spirit, "I've used Apple Music to stream classical music losslessly."

It doesn't play nice with BluOS (the app that controls my streamer).  So it is a no go despite having an Iphone and an Ipad.

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on March 21, 2024, 02:16:43 PMYeah she went from being a star to someone that is idolized and constantly discussed.  I know people that watched the Superbowl just because of Taylor Swift which is just odd.

I watched the Super Bowl briefly this year just because I remembered it was on and I was home on a Monday morning. It's not the first time I've tried watching it. It seems to take around 8 years or so for me to forget the conclusion that I always reach: I don't understand why anyone watches the Super Bowl. Gridiron must rank as one of the most boring sports ever invented.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Because she's nice. And not many high profile people are. Her public persona has a lot in common with Dolly Parton.

Also more generally because she's an absolute marketing whiz.

Also more specifically because she released probably her 2 most acclaimed albums in 2020 right when everyone was stuck at home with a heck of a lot of time to listen to music. The sheer number of fans who reevaluated Swift and BECAME fans because of those albums should not be underestimated. My impression is that a huge chunk of her adult-entry fan base is a direct result of the style of the 2020 albums. It's not my personal story but it seems to be extremely common.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 21, 2024, 06:54:52 PMBecause she's nice. And not many high profile people are. Her public persona has a lot in common with Dolly Parton.

Also more generally because she's an absolute marketing whiz.

Also more specifically because she released probably her 2 most acclaimed albums in 2020 right when everyone was stuck at home with a heck of a lot of time to listen to music. The sheer number of fans who reevaluated Swift and BECAME fans because of those albums should not be underestimated. My impression is that a huge chunk of her adult-entry fan base is a direct result of the style of the 2020 albums. It's not my personal story but it seems to be extremely common.

The Age of Numbers. Numbers instead of being.

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 21, 2024, 09:45:48 PMThe Age of Numbers. Numbers instead of being.

Oh don't be ridiculous. You're trying to make popularity a crime. And there's no "instead of". It can just as easily be numbers AND being. Haydn was massively popular in his lifetime. His dominance of Paris orchestral concerts at the height of his fame makes Swift's numbers look a bit weak.

The myth that one must be a tortured lonely soul rejected by the world in order to be a great artist is exactly that: a myth. A myth that was very over-used in the 19th century and one of the reasons that Haydn's critical status went down. He can't have been good. People LIKED him.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 21, 2024, 11:27:56 PMOh don't be ridiculous. You're trying to make popularity a crime. And there's no "instead of". It can just as easily be numbers AND being. Haydn was massively popular in his lifetime. His dominance of Paris orchestral concerts at the height of his fame makes Swift's numbers look a bit weak.

The myth that one must be a tortured lonely soul rejected by the world in order to be a great artist is exactly that: a myth. A myth that was very over-used in the 19th century and one of the reasons that Haydn's critical status went down. He can't have been good. People LIKED him.

Of course people liked Haydn. They liked music some two hundred years ago. Now instead, Taylor Swift gurgles and yells to monotonous mechanical noise in front of an immense crowd of degenerates. Don't know what I'm talking about? It's all right, I didn't expect that.

Brian

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 21, 2024, 11:51:07 PMNow instead, Taylor Swift gurgles and yells to monotonous mechanical noise in front of an immense crowd of degenerates. Don't know what I'm talking about? It's all right, I didn't expect that.
Yikes.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 21, 2024, 11:51:07 PMOf course people liked Haydn. They liked music some two hundred years ago. Now instead, Taylor Swift gurgles and yells to monotonous mechanical noise in front of an immense crowd of degenerates. Don't know what I'm talking about? It's all right, I didn't expect that.

Sayeth the ABBA fan...

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2024, 06:43:48 AMSayeth the ABBA fan...
It's funny, pop music has had a consistent fondness for nonsense words/phrases. My grandmother used to hate the Beatles because "all they sing is 'yeah'". I remember laughing when I first heard the oldie that goes "do you remember when we used to sing sha la la la la la la la la la la dee da." Of course, it all started with Papageno singing "Hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm."

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on March 21, 2024, 02:19:22 PMIt doesn't play nice with BluOS (the app that controls my streamer).  So it is a no go despite having an Iphone and an Ipad.

My first thought was, "what's a BluOS?" Their web site says Apple Music is supported, but saying it doesn't make it so. I only use it on MacOS and sometimes on a iPhone.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2024, 06:43:48 AMSayeth the ABBA fan...

Compared to Swift, Abba is cosmos. However, if you're interested in my preferences in popular music, it's not Abba, it's Grateful Dead ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2024, 07:18:38 AMMy first thought was, "what's a BluOS?" Their web site says Apple Music is supported, but saying it doesn't make it so. I only use it on MacOS and sometimes on a iPhone.

It is but through airplay and not through the app itself.  The same goes for chrome casting.  All other streaming services have native support. 

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on March 22, 2024, 04:36:33 AMYikes.

I only know what he said because you quoted it.

Honestly, the prejudices of some people. And I use that word prejudice in its full sense.  Swift can (and does) literally pick up a guitar and sing, and we get this nonsense about it being "mechanical". Well only in the sense that every single musical instrument is a "machine".

There's a difference between not liking something and demonising it with caricatures. It's striking to me just how often this particular poster does the latter, when quite frankly from his situation I would have though he'd know BETTER than most just how dreadful the consequences of that attitude would be. But no. Every conversation descends into hyperbole. And that's why I mostly ignore him.