All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

I spot checked about a dozen BIS recordings on Qobuz this morning--all seems fine here.

Harry

Quote from: Bachtoven on February 07, 2024, 12:37:47 PMI spot checked about a dozen BIS recordings on Qobuz this morning--all seems fine here.

Of course it is, we discussed about it the whole Tuesday. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Bachtoven

Quote from: Harry on February 07, 2024, 01:24:48 PMOf course it is, we discussed about it the whole Tuesday. :)
I was just reiterating it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on February 07, 2024, 01:24:48 PMOf course it is, we discussed about it the whole Tuesday. :)
By the way, I've been wondering why you had to retag all of your BIS recordings?  How does that work?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2024, 11:02:07 AMBy the way, I've been wondering why you had to retag all of your BIS recordings?  How does that work?

PD

Roon, the software I used for Qobuz, gave me the option of versions, from there I could retag the BIS CD'S in my collection. I had to retag them because BIS was sold to Apple,  and since the servers of Naxos did hold them originally they had to be retagged by Apple, hence the old ones from Naxos did not work anymore.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on February 08, 2024, 11:43:59 AMRoon, the software I used for Qobuz, gave me the option of versions, from there I could retag the BIS CD'S in my collection. I had to retag them because BIS was sold to Apple,  and since the servers of Naxos did hold them originally they had to be retagged by Apple, hence the old ones from Naxos did not work anymore.
What did you have to change though?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 08, 2024, 11:48:40 AMWhat did you have to change though?

PD

I had to change the primary tag by choosing the new offered tag on Roon. (Meaning to accept the new version of the recording and throw away the old one, a bit of a hassle) Those that work with the software of Qobuz had not problem, that was automatically done. As for now Roon is thinking about this addition to their software, but the time is not there yet, so I had to do it manually.

DavidW

btw I just checked Idagio this morning (I was thinking of switching because I was having connection problems with Qobuz on my streamer) and... nearly all of the BIS catalogue is still gone on Idagio!  At least in the US.

Harry

Quote from: DavidW on February 11, 2024, 07:09:51 AMbtw I just checked Idagio this morning (I was thinking of switching because I was having connection problems with Qobuz on my streamer) and... nearly all of the BIS catalogue is still gone on Idagio!  At least in the US.

That sucks majorly David, it is a huge miss, if they do not stream BIS.

San Antone

The BIS catalog appears to be available on Spotify. I did some random searches and found every item I was looking for from BIS.

I am listening to this right now.

Holden

Quote from: San Antone on February 11, 2024, 09:13:22 AMThe BIS catalog appears to be available on Spotify. I did some random searches and found every item I was looking for from BIS.

I am listening to this right now.

The BIS catalogue has a favorite pianist of mine in Yevgeni Sudbin. Also like Brautigam's early recordings on the Etcetera label.

Cheers

Holden

DavidW

I logged out and logged back into Qobuz on my Node which fixed the connection timeout error.  But... I also contacted Idagio about wanting to resubscribe but finding that BIS was largely missing.  I'll see if I receive a reply.

DavidW

Received this reply from Idagio's CS:

QuoteDear David,

Sorry about that! Since the label has recently been sold off, their catalogue is temporarily unavailable. We are awaiting the licenser will deliver it to us again soon.

Let me know in case you should be running into any other issues or questions, or if you would like to share other feedback with us! I am looking forward to your message.
���

So nothing nefarious but it is odd that they didn't receive the new catalog at the same time as the other streaming services.

DavidW

The entire BIS catalog is back on Idagio.  I've subbed.  A few too many annoying times I've waited on buffering on Qobuz (not talking about the connection timeout error).

It seems like Idagio takes a bit longer than the other services (also thinking about the delay in receiving Hyperion recordings).  Probably just the result of being a smaller company and not having as much man power.

ando

Funny, with all the classical music searching I do on YouTube it's ever occurred to me until tonight to simply sit back and allow their auto-play algorithm to provide a continuous run of uploaded material. I mean, by default, they must have the largest library of classical music available to listen/watch online. It's a great rainy day option at the very least.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ando on February 26, 2024, 08:45:28 PMFunny, with all the classical music searching I do on YouTube it's ever occurred to me until tonight to simply sit back and allow their auto-play algorithm to provide a continuous run of uploaded material. I mean, by default, they must have the largest library of classical music available to listen/watch online. It's a great rainy day option at the very least.
I wonder how good they are though in automatically bringing up the next movement of the same work and performance?

Earlier today, I was wanting to watch a couple of late night talk shows and had to keep going back to the official site and try to figure out which segment was next as they kept cuing up other segments and/or other shows!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: ando on February 26, 2024, 08:45:28 PMFunny, with all the classical music searching I do on YouTube it's ever occurred to me until tonight to simply sit back and allow their auto-play algorithm to provide a continuous run of uploaded material. I mean, by default, they must have the largest library of classical music available to listen/watch online. It's a great rainy day option at the very least.

I think YouTube is pretty poor at predicting what I will want to see next. Apple Music generates "stations." I've never used it purposefully, but one of the stations it generated for me was "Giorgio Koukl and similar artists." I clicked it by mistake and discovered then piano music of Harsanyi. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ando

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 27, 2024, 09:14:26 AMI think YouTube is pretty poor at predicting what I will want to see next.
:D Well, no one can do that but you. I appreciate whatever "classical" selection comes my way with their autoplay feature. Chances are fairly high that I have never seen/watched the ensemble/artist featured or their interpretation. I keep physical media for my particular moods.

ando

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 27, 2024, 08:06:15 AMI wonder how good they are though in automatically bringing up the next movement of the same work and performance?

Earlier today, I was wanting to watch a couple of late night talk shows and had to keep going back to the official site and try to figure out which segment was next as they kept cuing up other segments and/or other shows!

PD
Oh, if the movement or segment in question isn't part of a selected playlist YouTube places zero priority on playing them in order. The joy I was speaking of is in the randomness of works. I'm OCD enough most of the day.  ;)

Hans Holbein

The Chateau de Versailles Spectacles label seems to be streaming now. I found several releases on Apple Music, and they are downloadable on Presto too. I also checked Idagio to see if the booklets would be there, but I couldn't find anything there (yet?)

Last time I checked, this label was CD only, so it's nice to see it come to streaming.