Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 30, 2024, 02:08:04 AMI've been hit with a double whammy, diagnosed with two conditions that have radically changed my life: deep vein thrombosis and Parkinson's disease.Neither prevents me participating in this great place but I just haven't felt up to it.

Thanks to you all who commented on my absence. And a special thank you to Karl who emailed me, asking me if all was well.
saddening news...indeed. But I wish you strenght and patience. May music soothe the problems. 
Peter

Brian

I couldn't say it better than others already have (especially Spotted Horses with the Pierre Monteux comparison). My mother has some experience with DVT and it can be deeply uncomfortable. Sending much love to you and hoping you are still able to enjoy things you always have - good wine, good people, good music.

If wielding a bazooka is therapeutic to you, let us know and we will say some mean things about Bruckner.  ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on May 30, 2024, 08:16:53 AMIf wielding a bazooka is therapeutic to you, let us know and we will say some mean things about Bruckner.  ;)

Or Havergal Brian!

Karl Henning

Seeing all the love for Sarge both does not surprise me, and does my heart such good. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 30, 2024, 08:16:53 AMIf wielding a bazooka is therapeutic to you, let us know and we will say some mean things about Bruckner.  ;)

Good choice. Mean things about Haydn or Szell might go too far. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 30, 2024, 08:46:34 AMGood choice. Mean things about Haydn or Szell might go too far. :)

I can tell a few lies but saying something mean about Haydn is beyond my ability!  ;D

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 30, 2024, 02:08:04 AMI've been hit with a double whammy, diagnosed with two conditions that have radically changed my life: deep vein thrombosis and Parkinson's disease.Neither prevents me participating in this great place but I just haven't felt up to it.

Thanks to you all who commented on my absence. And a special thank you to Karl who emailed me, asking me if all was well.

Oy!  Sorry to hear that!  Are you being treated by German doctors or the V.A. at a military base ?

Wagner always helps people heal!  😇

Not to mention:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on May 30, 2024, 12:24:36 PMOy!  Sorry to hear that!  Are you being treated by German doctors or the V.A. at a military base ?

German doctors. Thanks for the music. How did you know that I love Rienzi? 8)
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2024, 02:23:10 AMGerman doctors. Thanks for the music. How did you know that I love Rienzi? 8)

Heh-Heh!  Logical deduction, perhaps also influenced by a memory of one of your comments from long ago!   ;D 

Best Wishes!  "Eat more yogurt!  It's good for you!"   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 30, 2024, 08:16:53 AMI couldn't say it better than others already have (especially Spotted Horses with the Pierre Monteux comparison). My mother has some experience with DVT and it can be deeply uncomfortable. Sending much love to you and hoping you are still able to enjoy things you always have - good wine, good people, good music.

Yes I still enjoy all that, especially wine ;) I've been doing a lot of online purchasing from the greatest German vintners(like Fritz Haag, J.J. Prum, Basserman-Jordon, Karthäuserhof, Raumland Sekt) and much Champagne, including the expensive brands: Krug (3 bottles), Cristal(2), La Grande Dame (1), Dom Perignon (2), Bollinger vintage (4), Sir Winston Churchill (1), Belle Epoque (3). The Krug vintage 2008 530€ and the Cristal 2014 250€ lived up to the hype.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on May 30, 2024, 05:56:05 AMI am very sorry to read this Sarge. I haven't posted here for ages (no special reason - just nothing interesting to say), but I do call in now and then, and read what others have said, and so I spotted your post. Let me say clearly here how much I enjoyed all our conversations in the past - mostly about Elgar and Wagner as I recall - and I thank you for all of that. I also hope you can continue to spread your intelligence, knowledge, wit and wisdom here.
I offer my very best wishes, even though I know things must be terribly difficult for you.
Cheers,
Alan
Thank you for your kind words. and thank you for your superb posts on Elgar. You made me appreciate the works for violin even more than I had.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 30, 2024, 06:45:14 AMI'm very grieved to hear of your health troubles. Although we've never met, I feel you as a member of the family. Your intelligence and humanity come across in your postings here, you're the Pierre Monteux of web posting. I can well understand that visiting here is not high on your list of priorities, but you should know that your participation here is greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Scarps (you will always be Scarpia to me).

vandermolen

All strength to you Sarge.

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

So sorry to hear that Sarge. Enjoy your great wines!

Henk

Good luck, Sarge. I hope you can deal with your illness in a way that keeps life worthwile.

EDIT: well 'good luck' is probably not the most appropriate response.

I wish you strenght. I hope your condition will be bearable so you can continue to enjoy the good life.

EDIT: It's revealed that Parkinsin can be caused by Glysophate a weed killer poison. Probably you know.

I hope you get the care you need, maybe new medicine and therapy against Parkinson. Eat and drink well, consuming a variety of healthy foods is always important for health.

Spotted Horses

I noticed @amw came up in the Shostakovich Quartet 15 thread. I see she hasn't participated since last September, I miss her contribution.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Can we please not have the latest pop theories on how Parkinson's disease is caused. For some of us this is a touchy subject.

Sorry to hear of your health issues, Sarge, all the best wishes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!