Scandinavian and Finnish composers.

Started by Harry, April 13, 2007, 05:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on February 23, 2009, 03:49:18 PM
I'll take that as good evidence I've not likely missed anything that would be of great significance to me.
Have a look at the Danish and Swedish lists shortly.

A number of the names you listed were totally unknown to me until now :)

But-as a result-I have now ordered the two Stale Kleiberg symphonies and the Oistein Sommerfeldt ;D I liked the sound of those two composers from what I could find on the net ;D I may try harder to find out more about the Alf Hurum and the Harald Lie.

My wallet salutes you ;D ;D

Maciek

Dundonnell

Dundonnell

CPO has just released a cd of two symphonies(No.1 "Zion" and No.2 "Hellas") by the Danish composer Rudolph Simonsen(1889-1947)-

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Rudolph%20Simonsen%3A%20Symphonien%20Nr.%201%202/hnum/9784248

Simonsen is (yet another) totally unknown name to me ;D He appears to have been a Danish Jew, a successful and important music administrator in succession to Carl Nielsen and the composer of four symphonies in total.  The Symphony No.2 won a bronze medal in the arts competition for the 1928 Olympic Games 8) and has been recorded before(Danacord recording from 1954 conducted by Launy Grondahl): review-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2001/Mar01/Danish.htm

The comparisons in the review with VW's 4th and Stanley Bates' 3rd sound promising :)

There appears to be no end to CPO's capacity to unearth forgotten composers ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 24, 2009, 06:15:07 AM
CPO has just released a cd of two symphonies(No.1 "Zion" and No.2 "Hellas") by the Danish composer Rudolph Simonsen(1889-1947)-

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Rudolph%20Simonsen%3A%20Symphonien%20Nr.%201%202/hnum/9784248

Simonsen is (yet another) totally unknown name to me ;D He appears to have been a Danish Jew, a successful and important music administrator in succession to Carl Nielsen and the composer of four symphonies in total.  The Symphony No.2 won a bronze medal in the arts competition for the 1928 Olympic Games 8) and has been recorded before(Danacord recording from 1954 conducted by Launy Grondahl): review-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2001/Mar01/Danish.htm

The comparisons in the review with VW's 4th and Stanley Bates' 3rd sound promising :)

There appears to be no end to CPO's capacity to unearth forgotten composers ;D

I shall have to order this CD without delay. Surely you are trying to get revenge for Gardener Read and Halsey Stevens  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J

Issued on commercial CD to my knowledge:

Danish

Hans Abrahamsen S, Victor Bendix 1-4, Niels Viggo Bentzon 3-5 & 7&8, Hakon Borresen 1-3, John Frandsen 1,
Johannes Frederik Froehlich S, Niels Gade 1-8, Louis Glass 1-6, Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen S-Antiphony,
Johann Ernst Hartmann 1-4, J.P.E. Hartmann 1&2, Asger Hamerik 1-6, Carl Helsted S, Vagn Holmboe 1-13 & S in Merorian, Leif Kayser 1-4, Paul von Klenau 1,5,&7, Herman Koppel 1-7, Friedrich Ludwig Aemili Kunzen S, Rued Langgaard 1-16 & S Interna, P.E. Lange-Muller 1&2, Carl Nielsen 1-6, Ludolf Nielsen 1-3, Ib Norholm 1-9,
Per Norgard 1-6, Karl Aage Rasmussen S in Time, Sunlief Rasmussen 1, Poul Ruders 1&2, Herman Sandby 4,
Poul Schierbeck S, Ole Schmidt Chamber S, Rudolph Simonsen 1&2, Franz Syberg S, C.E.F. Weyse 1-7

Swedish

Helmer Alexandersson 2, Hugo Alfven 1-5, Elfrida Andree S, Kurt Atterberg 1-9, Gustav Bengtsson 1,
Natanael Berg 4, Franz Berwald 1-4, Karl-Birger Blomdahl 1-3, Oskar Bystrom S, Anders Eliasson 1,
John Fernstrom 6&12, Johnny Grandert 5, Jacob Adolf Hagg S, Josef Jonsson 1&2, Jacob Axel Josephson S,
Edvin Kallstenius 2, Maurice Karkoff 4,9,&11, Erland von Koch 2, Joseph Martin Kraus ?, Lars-Erik Larsson 1-3, Ruben Liljefors S, Oskar Lindberg S, Nils Lindberg 1, Adolf Fredrik Lindblad 1&2, Bo Linde 2,
Torbjorn Iwan Lundquist 1&7, Miklos Maros 1&3, Melcher Melchers S, Ludvig Norman 1-3, Gosta Nystroem 1-6,
Per August Olander S, Otto Olsson S, Wilhelm Peterson-Berger 1-5, Allan Pettersson 2-16, Ture Rangstrom 1-4,
Hilding Rosenberg 2-6, Albert Rubenson S, Josef Otto Sillen 3, Yngue Skold 2, Wilhelm Stenhammar 1&2, Eduard Tubin 1-11, Dag Wiren 2-5

Any omissions?

Dundonnell

First glance only-

Danish:

Sven Erik Tarp-Symphony No.7 "Galaxy"(Da Capo)

Swedish:

Natanael Berg-Symphony No.1 "Alles endet was entstehet" and Symphony No.2 "Arstiderna"(CPO)

Eduard Tubin-Swedish? Surely Tubin was an Estonian composer first and foremost despite living in Sweden for the second half of his life?

Dag Wiren-has his Symphony No.1 really been recorded? Wiren repudiated the work.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on February 24, 2009, 10:01:04 AM
I shall have to order this CD without delay. Surely you are trying to get revenge for Gardener Read and Halsey Stevens  ;D

Absolutely corrrect ;D

J

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 24, 2009, 11:49:31 AM
First glance only-

Danish:

Sven Erik Tarp-Symphony No.7 "Galaxy"(Da Capo)

Swedish:

Natanael Berg-Symphony No.1 "Alles endet was entstehet" and Symphony No.2 "Arstiderna"(CPO)

Eduard Tubin-Swedish? Surely Tubin was an Estonian composer first and foremost despite living in Sweden for the second half of his life?

Dag Wiren-has his Symphony No.1 really been recorded? Wiren repudiated the work.

The Wiren entry should, of course, be 2-5 - not 1-4.

I had thought CPO Berg was still awaiting release.

R Layton includes Tubin in the Swedish section of his Symphony book.  I think I had that in my mind however questionable
a judgement it might be.

Tarp and his Symphony I've been unaware of, so thanks for that.

J

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 23, 2009, 04:31:05 PM
A number of the names you listed were totally unknown to me until now :)

But-as a result-I have now ordered the two Stale Kleiberg symphonies and the Oistein Sommerfeldt ;D I liked the sound of those two composers from what I could find on the net ;D I may try harder to find out more about the Alf Hurum and the Harald Lie.

My wallet salutes you ;D ;D

From where I gather your enthusiasms lie I believe both the Hurum and Lie CD's would be well worth acquiring, - both the symphonies are lengthy and substantial.  There's a nice brief description of each of them here:

www.recordsinternational.com/archive/RICatalogSept98.html

Lilas Pastia

Danish: Weyse (1774-1842), symphonies 1 and 7, not 1 - 7 Although I'm not sure one is missing much between the two - tame early classical stuff.

Ole Schmidt: Öresund Symphony (BIS). Gram: Symphonies 2 and 3 (Da Capo).

Thanks for the update in names, countries, I had not been paying much attention these last few years,,, :-[

The new erato

There's a new release on a Norwegian label (I don't remember the name, it's very obscure) of  Catharinus Elling's Haugtussa cycle.

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on February 24, 2009, 04:12:23 PM
From where I gather your enthusiasms lie I believe both the Hurum and Lie CD's would be well worth acquiring, - both the symphonies are lengthy and substantial.  There's a nice brief description of each of them here:

www.recordsinternational.com/archive/RICatalogSept98.html

Thank you very much for the recommendations for the Hurum and the Lie-the reviews certainly make both sound very appealing to me ;D Any others I might like? :)

Sorry, I had not noticed the omission of the Wiren 5th(which you have picked up on yourself). I was going to add the Peder Gram symphonies(Nos. 1, 2 and 3 actually) on DaCapo but Andre has beaten be to it.

The Natanael Berg 1st and 2nd have been released-I have them ;D

As for Tubin...I quite understand the dilemma of where to place him :)

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 25, 2009, 05:16:17 AM
Thank you very much for the recommendations for the Hurum and the Lie-the reviews certainly make both sound very appealing to me ;D Any others I might like? :)

Sorry, I had not noticed the omission of the Wiren 5th(which you have picked up on yourself). I was going to add the Peder Gram symphonies(Nos. 1, 2 and 3 actually) on DaCapo but Andre has beaten be to it.

The Natanael Berg 1st and 2nd have been released-I have them ;D

As for Tubin...I quite understand the dilemma of where to place him :)
Do you know that Alf Hurum emigrated to Hawaii where he founded the Honolulu Symphony orchestra where he was conductor and manager for several decades?

Dundonnell

Quote from: erato on February 25, 2009, 06:16:21 AM
Do you know that Alf Hurum emigrated to Hawaii where he founded the Honolulu Symphony orchestra where he was conductor and manager for several decades?

So I read ;D Norway to Hawaii: mountains and sun ;D

J

[/quote

Of the Norwegian symphonies anyone in tune with the world of Allan Pettersson couldn't go wrong trying
Kjell Mork Karlsen's Symphony No.3 (on Aurora) subtitled "The Ice Palace".  I hear a heavy influence from
Pettersson's Symphony 7 here, - a similar sound and atmosphere.  It's a quite gripping and powerful piece
IMO (about 20' if I recall correctly).

Two Danish figures that shouldn't be overlooked (if you're not familiar) are Poul Schierbeck & Franz Syberg.
Hurwitz reviews Schierbeck's Symphony here:

www.classicstoday.com/digest/pdigest.asp?perfidx=12508

Rob Barnett's take on Syberg's Symphonic Works is here:

www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2003/Aug03/syberg_symphony.htm

Dundonnell

Quote from: J on February 25, 2009, 10:03:54 AM

[/quote

Of the Norwegian symphonies anyone in tune with the world of Allan Pettersson couldn't go wrong trying
Kjell Mork Karlsen's Symphony No.3 (on Aurora) subtitled "The Ice Palace".  I hear a heavy influence from
Pettersson's Symphony 7 here, - a similar sound and atmosphere.  It's a quite gripping and powerful piece
IMO (about 20' if I recall correctly).

Two Danish figures that shouldn't be overlooked (if you're not familiar) are Poul Schierbeck & Franz Syberg.
Hurwitz reviews Schierbeck's Symphony here:

www.classicstoday.com/digest/pdigest.asp?perfidx=12508

Rob Barnett's take on Syberg's Symphonic Works is here:

www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2003/Aug03/syberg_symphony.htm

Thanks again! I have ordered the Hurum and the Harald Lie symphonies and will investigate the Karlsen, Schierbeck and Syberg :)

Dundonnell

I have just listened to the Aurora disc of the two Stale Kleiberg symphonies and posted-with tremendous enthusiasm about the disc-in the 'What Are You Listening To Thread".

If you are an admirer of Debussy and Bax then Kleiberg's music-updated of course to the early 21st century-should be just up your street ;D

A great discovery of some very beautiful music which I would never have made but for this forum and its members :) Thanks, Greg(J)!!

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 27, 2009, 07:45:09 AM
I have just listened to the Aurora disc of the two Stale Kleiberg symphonies and posted-with tremendous enthusiasm about the disc-in the 'What Are You Listening To Thread".

If you are an admirer of Debussy and Bax then Kleiberg's music-updated of course to the early 21st century-should be just up your street ;D

A great discovery of some very beautiful music which I would never have made but for this forum and its members :) Thanks, Greg(J)!!
Now we just need towait for Aurora to be available in the UK again:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/cm/news-Labels.htm

Dundonnell

I managed to pick up my copy from a Spanish dealer on Amazon-ordered on Tuesday, arrived today(that's pretty good service!!)-for £12.55 :)