Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 179217 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #1080 on: May 11, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
Recently I’ve been blown away by Dvořák’s Te Deum. What a fantastic work. Also, another Dvořák work that blew me away was the Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81. I’m constantly finding works from this composer that either hit me over the head like a ton of bricks or enter in my ear canals and live there for a month (i. e. earworms).
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #1081 on: May 11, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
Recently I’ve been blown away by Dvořák’s Te Deum. What a fantastic work. Also, another Dvořák work that blew me away was the Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81. I’m constantly finding works from this composer that either hit me over the head like a ton of bricks or enter in my ear canals and live there for a month (i. e. earworms).

I love that Te Deum too. My favorite recording is this:

That timpani pounding marks a great opening for a stunning work.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #1082 on: May 11, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
I love that Te Deum too. My favorite recording is this:

That timpani pounding marks a great opening for a stunning work.

That’s the recording I own. 8) It’s in the blue box set of Dvořák’s sacred works and cantatas on Supraphon.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1083 on: May 14, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
Lydia Auster (1912-1933), an Estonian composer. Piano Concerto No. 1 in G major. Is there anything more devastatingly beautiful? Very sensitive indeed, but masterly written too. Not apt for ultra-romantic allergic!  ;D

Pizzetti, Tubin, Rachmaninov, Vaughan Williams, Puccini, the very romantic Marx, even Korngold and Sibelius, are names whom I can associate this splendorous concerto in style. What a find.

It's even more astonishing is that is from Kazakh origins the composer.

A Youtube link is provided there to enjoy it if you're 'adventurous'.  8)

Very recommended.

A lovely work indeed! One of many fantastic piano&orchestra works by women composers that I've discovered (Beach, Bosmans, N. Boulanger, Garuta, Gipps, Kuzmenko, Levina, Tailleferre, etc).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1084 on: May 21, 2020, 08:02:24 AM »
Pretty much this whole disc --- every work:

Tveitt taps into that folky idiom that I love so dearly but yet, like any composer with such an individual voice, puts his own spin on it. This music is wonderfully atmospheric and I’m completely drawn into the sonic world the music inhabits. The entire Tveitt series on BIS is definitely worth exploring.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1085 on: May 22, 2020, 12:08:09 PM »
Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto. I first heard this piece around 20 years ago, but in the past few months I've been replaying it a lot, and it gets better and better with every listen. I believe it's one of the best wind instrument-concertos of the 20th century.  The piece was composed in 1993 and dedicated to James Bulger, a 2-year old boy that was murdered in Liverpool.
Geoffrey Norris of Gramophone said..."It expresses the shock and incomprehension that we all experienced at that appalling, senseless crime, but at the same time it enshrines the beauty and innocence of an infant life so cruelly snuffed out."

Both of these recordings are available to stream, and both are excellent.

A great work indeed. The slow movement is devastatingly moving.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1086 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:12 PM »
A great work indeed. The slow movement is devastatingly moving.

+ 1

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #1087 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »
Speaking of moving music, I thought I should post this work here: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! This is such a gorgeous piece of music. It brought some tears to my eyes, and the folk element of the music is incredibly vivid. A real find thank Jeffrey for recommending it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1088 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »
Speaking of moving music, I thought I should post this work here: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! This is such a gorgeous piece of music. It brought some tears to my eyes, and the folk element of the music is incredibly vivid. A real find thank Jeffrey for recommending it.

Eshpai is a very cool composer, indeed and, like you, I have our Jeffrey to thank for the introduction.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1089 on: May 22, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »
Currently, I’m being blown away by every Glazunov work I hear.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #1090 on: May 23, 2020, 01:50:09 AM »
And I'm being blown away by this:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Philoctetes

• One and one makes one.
    Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver
« Reply #1091 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:43 AM »
Liza Lim's Atlas of the Sky (World Premiere):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAca_LZh9pQ
"That wouldn't be believable. Well, not if you don't believe it" (Trick, 1999).

"You'd like me to be dumb and nothing more. Maybe you think that, but I don't. But that's how it should be" (Undertow, 2009).