Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 90870 times)

Online Roasted Swan

Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #920 on: September 07, 2019, 12:48:50 PM »
Time for a Ligetti's Lovenest page I think....! :D ;)

Here's a disc I picked up cheap in a charity shop..... didn't listen to for months...... finally did today and its brilliant!

Fascinating programme of Estonian music played with brilliance by the Stockholm PO and conducted with real flair by Paavo Jarvi.  I love the harumphing review on Amazon that moans that the Part Symphony isn't like his later (more familiar) minimalistic/'spiritual' music.  What a remarkable thought - composers...... wait for it....... change and don't always write in exactly the same way for all their careers.  Who would have thought it!  I got the disc for the completion of Tubin's 11th Symphony and very effective it sounds too.  But the whole disc is a winner and one I will put on for another spin very soon

Offline schnittkease

« Reply #921 on: September 07, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »
Les Siecles do Ligeti? I thought they focused on early 20th century, but that interests me.

They do Ligeti, and they do it well.

Many thanks! Your forum name has me taking out Schnittke's Viola Concerto (love that piece).

Don't get me started on Schnittke...

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #922 on: September 08, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »
Time for a Ligetti's Lovenest page I think....! :D ;)

Here's a disc I picked up cheap in a charity shop..... didn't listen to for months...... finally did today and its brilliant!

Fascinating programme of Estonian music played with brilliance by the Stockholm PO and conducted with real flair by Paavo Jarvi.  I love the harumphing review on Amazon that moans that the Part Symphony isn't like his later (more familiar) minimalistic/'spiritual' music.  What a remarkable thought - composers...... wait for it....... change and don't always write in exactly the same way for all their careers.  Who would have thought it!  I got the disc for the completion of Tubin's 11th Symphony and very effective it sounds too.  But the whole disc is a winner and one I will put on for another spin very soon

What Tüür work is included there? Have you listened to his symphonies? or do you considerate them as too modern for you?

I already see it: some orchestral/ensemble pieces. Interesting.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:22:46 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #923 on: September 09, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »
This:

Aita Donostia (Father Donostia, born José Gonzalo Zulaica, 1886-1956) was a Basque Capuchin friar and composer. His music is full of warm lyricism, nostalgic poetry, delicacy of feelings and simplicity of expression. It charmed me no end.
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Online Roasted Swan

« Reply #924 on: September 12, 2019, 12:49:55 PM »
What Tüür work is included there? Have you listened to his symphonies? or do you considerate them as too modern for you?

I already see it: some orchestral/ensemble pieces. Interesting.

This is my first encounter with Tuur and I enjoyed it so I will try and find some more of his music within my budget!

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #925 on: September 12, 2019, 02:33:32 PM »
This is my first encounter with Tuur and I enjoyed it so I will try and find some more of his music within my budget!

Very nice! Enjoy!

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #926 on: September 12, 2019, 03:46:02 PM »
Leif Kayser, symphonies 1 and 4. I have attempted to describe them in the WAYLT thread. I keep noticing the influence of Nielsen in the 4th, not so much as through a rearview mirror, but in the other direction. Kayser takes off where Nielsen left. This is utterly convincing and original.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #927 on: September 12, 2019, 11:35:26 PM »
Leif Kayser, symphonies 1 and 4. I have attempted to describe them in the WAYLT thread. I keep noticing the influence of Nielsen in the 4th, not so much as through a rearview mirror, but in the other direction. Kayser takes off where Nielsen left. This is utterly convincing and original.
Put both CD's in my playlist; many thanks for the recommendation - inspiring !  ;D
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #928 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:31 AM »
At first listening I was mildly satisfied with symphony 4, but interest turned to admiration and enthusiasm with subsequent listenings. The work’s structure is quite unusual. It starts very deceptively.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #929 on: September 13, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
These.

I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Online Roasted Swan

« Reply #930 on: September 15, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »

Don't know the composer or the music - but I LOVE your description of it... evocative and intriguing and one that prompts me to seek this music out - thankyou!

Online Roasted Swan

« Reply #931 on: Today at 02:13:56 AM »
The Hunt is great, a grail  track for fans.

On Dangerous Ground is also a very good old movie, with a stunningly beautiful female lead.

Not specifically linked to the comment above - more a Film Music/Piece that blew me away recently thing...... (is there a film music thread here?)

Picked up one of those Marco Polo/Moscow/Score reconstruction discs recently - Max Steiner's scores for Lost Patrol/Beast with 5 fingers/Virginia City.  I find some in this series can be interesting but not compelling.  This time I got this one:

The link above is from the UK Amazon site - this disc can be listened to there as part of their "Prime" package. 

First selection - "Lost Patrol" definitely falls into the interesting not compelling category.  Skillful potpourri of familiar themes/tunes - quite evocative, pretty well played..... unlikely to return to the score often.  THEN, the Beast With Five Fingers.  I'm always partial to a good big overblown arrangement of baroque music for a large symphony orchestra (Stokowski/Elgar/Respighi et al) - I had NO idea the main music theme of this score is a very neurotic working out of the Bach Chaconne (extrapolated from the Busoni piano arrangement I assume).  But loved the whole score - dark and menacing with the Bach exploding out at unexpected points.  I remember dimly having seen the film but this prompts me to see it again.

The disc closes with another fairly routine Western score - Virginia City - its that Beast that is the keeper!