Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks.  I will have to check this out  :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on March 18, 2021, 04:21:13 PM

Both works here are absolutely breathtaking, with symphony no 3 having claims to be a real masterpiece.

The sax concerto's style reminds me a bit of Sandström's Motorbike Concerto (for trombone) in its unabashed relish in assaulting the ears with its raucousness and relentless rythmic drive. But it's not mere sound and fury. There is a genuine urgency behind the flood of sound, the piling up of neon flashes and pyrotechnics. There are important parts for piano and percussion. The composer says it's almost a triple concerto but, at least in this recording, it's the saxophone that takes center stage. It must be a hoot to witness in concert.

The symphony is a grand statement, 45 minutes of energy and kaleidoscopic colours. The opening chord on the double basses is reminiscent of the 8th symphony by Shostakovich, but immediately gives way to oriental sonorities (japanese flutes) and plenty of other vistas as well. The composer writes that «  it is music that completely liberates those melodies, harmonies and beats bearing the seal of the twentieth century, and unleashes the passions of a composer ». He also mentions the clash/dichotomy between masculine and feminine elements. Quite a program and quite a mouthful to chew on.

This is different from anything I have experienced before but at the same time it is anchored in traditional western musical forms so that I never sense I am lost at sea. Recommended !

P.S. I have long known and loved  Yoshimatsu's 2nd symphony (also on Chandos) but had never managed to pursue the exploration of this composer's works. I must remedy to that asap.

Yoshimatsu looks like an underrated composer nowadays, and it shouldn't be that way since his music is imbued with freshness, a sort of minimalism that is not cloying coming up here and there and drive and fierceness when needed.

I don't know that concerto yet, but with your enthusiastic post I'll have to give it a listen soon.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

Both works here are absolutely breathtaking, with symphony no 3 having claims to be a real masterpiece.

The sax concerto's style reminds me a bit of Sandström's Motorbike Concerto (for trombone) in its unabashed relish in assaulting the ears with its raucousness and relentless rythmic drive. But it's not mere sound and fury. There is a genuine urgency behind the flood of sound, the piling up of neon flashes and pyrotechnics. There are important parts for piano and percussion. The composer says it's almost a triple concerto but, at least in this recording, it's the saxophone that takes center stage. It must be a hoot to witness in concert.

The symphony is a grand statement, 45 minutes of energy and kaleidoscopic colours. The opening chord on the double basses is reminiscent of the 8th symphony by Shostakovich, but immediately gives way to oriental sonorities (japanese flutes) and plenty of other vistas as well. The composer writes that «  it is music that completely liberates those melodies, harmonies and beats bearing the seal of the twentieth century, and unleashes the passions of a composer ». He also mentions the clash/dichotomy between masculine and feminine elements. Quite a program and quite a mouthful to chew on.

This is different from anything I have experienced before but at the same time it is anchored in traditional western musical forms so that I never sense I am lost at sea. Recommended !

P.S. I have long known and loved  Yoshimatsu's 2nd symphony (also on Chandos) but had never managed to pursue the exploration of this composer's works. I must remedy to that asap.

I just listened to this on the Naxos Music Library Website.  Excellent  ;)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2021, 09:03:47 AM
Very nice, Olivier. Miroirs is my favorite Ravel work believe it or not. It's essentially a suite for piano and each movement is dedicated to one of his friends. Oiseaux tristes, in particular, is one of my favorite individual pieces of music of all-time. Absolutely haunting from start to finish. To be fair, I love almost everything Ravel has composed and his solo piano works are no exception.

Here's a nice writeup on Miroirs that you may be interested in reading:

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/musicdb/pieces/2345/miroirs

A month and a bit later, Chamayou is really converting me to Miroirs right now...  8)
Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 24, 2021, 08:53:02 AM
A month and a bit later, Chamayou is really converting me to Miroirs right now...  8)

Very nice, Olivier. I'll have to revisit Chamayou as I recall he did absolutely nothing for me in Ravel's incredible piano music. My favorites still remain Tharaud and Queffélec.

DavidW

Elgar's first symphony was a new discovery.  Posters (who have not been here for many, many years) dissuaded me for ever bothering with his symphonies.  Well I love the first!  It is so melodic.  I'll probably buy the recording that I've been listening to.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DavidW on March 24, 2021, 11:31:08 AM
Elgar's first symphony was a new discovery.  Posters (who have not been here for many, many years) dissuaded me for ever bothering with his symphonies.  Well I love the first!  It is so melodic.  I'll probably buy the recording that I've been listening to.

For me, the 2nd is even greater and memorable.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 24, 2021, 11:51:53 AM
For me, the 2nd is even greater and memorable.

+1 I think the 2nd encapsulates everything that made Elgar great from a musical perspective but also the myriad of emotions that seem to permeate so many of his works. This kind of tug-of-war between emotional extremes is what made his music special.

DavidW

Great!  The second symphony is next for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 24, 2021, 12:36:26 PM

The Larghetto movement from the 2nd is one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. I kid you not!

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 24, 2021, 12:37:19 PM
The Larghetto movement from the 2nd is one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. I kid you not!

+ 1

That being said, I prefer the 1st  :P

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on March 24, 2021, 12:36:26 PM

David, I will also be discovering the Elgar symphonies for the first time very shortly (Slatkin).

springrite

Quote from: André on March 24, 2021, 01:33:42 PM
+ 1

That being said, I prefer the 1st  :P
It is almost obligatory that I now give the 3rd a chance!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Last night, I revisit Berg's Der Wein and I was blown away by it. This is the recording I listened to:

I can't imagine Norman/Boulez being topped but I'm going to listen to the Otter/Abbado recording on DG later on tonight.

kyjo

Ludwig Thuille (1861-1907): Piano Quintet no. 2 in E-flat major (1901)

Make no mistake, this is a major work - it truly belongs amongst the greatest piano quintets. Thuille was a friend of R. Strauss, and on the evidence of this work I'd say his early death was a tragic one. What is especially remarkable about this work is how it synthesizes Brahmsian formal mastery with Wagnerian/Brucknerian chromatic harmonies in a most original and compelling way. And my god, is this passionate music - full of energy and drive, with sweeping and memorable melodic lines. The extended slow movement is a truly profound and deeply moving utterance. This work simply must be heard by anyone with an interest in Romantic chamber music! (The first piano quintet, while not scaling the heights of the second, is still an excellent work.)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Totally agreed about the 3rd Symphony. It's one of the most compelling, exciting, and appealing works I know from the past 25 years or so. Yoshimatsu knows how to combine "serious" and "popular" styles in a really entertaining way.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 24, 2021, 02:23:02 PM
David, I will also be discovering the Elgar symphonies for the first time very shortly (Slatkin).

I hope you enjoy No.2 - its a work I return to often and with great pleasure.  Slatkin is very good - one little "novelty" - he uses the organ pedals at the end of the whole work.  They are not in the score as Elgar wrote it but prompted by a comment from Boult along the lines of "this is the kind of place Elgar used organ pedals", first Handley, then Slatkin and (I think) Mackerras added them.  I love it - a wonderful valedictory moment at the end of a glorious work......

71 dB

What silly people! Elgar's symphonies are my absolute favorite symphonies (preferring the 2nd which I think is one of Elgar's greatest works). Nice to hear you gave Elgar a chance and liked the first one.  :)

Elgar was a master of melodies and pretty much everything he wrote is very melodic.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Maestro267

Shame. On. Them. I cannot put that strongly enough. Thank goodness you've finally seen past that and come to listen to them and judge for yourself. All three* symphonies are utterly majestic.

(*In your own time, you absolutely should listen to the Elgar/Payne 3rd Symphony. It's a fantastic work regardless of how much of it is by whom. It's a great achievement in and of itself.)