Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 02, 2021, 06:33:39 AM
Shame. On. Them. I cannot put that strongly enough. Thank goodness you've finally seen past that and come to listen to them and judge for yourself. All three* symphonies are utterly majestic.

(*In your own time, you absolutely should listen to the Elgar/Payne 3rd Symphony. It's a fantastic work regardless of how much of it is by whom. It's a great achievement in and of itself.)

There's a general snobbishness from many American musicians and listeners towards British music which I've never understood. There are some notable exceptions for certain pieces - Elgar's Enigma Variations and Cello Concerto, Holst's The Planets, and a couple works by Britten - but overall British music tends to be looked down upon as vastly inferior to Austro/German and Russian music. You all know my thoughts on this... ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

Quote from: kyjo on April 02, 2021, 09:53:42 AM
There's a general snobbishness from many American musicians and listeners towards British music which I've never understood. There are some notable exceptions for certain pieces - Elgar's Enigma Variations and Cello Concerto, Holst's The Planets, and a couple works by Britten - but overall British music tends to be looked down upon as vastly inferior to Austro/German and Russian music. You all know my thoughts on this... ;)

This is not true with the musicians I hang out with.

Symphonic Addict

I can't believe I didn't remember how thoroughly stupendous Copland's Clarinet Concerto is. A seriously extraordinary piece, with its pensive and nostalgic beginning that lead to a tricky cadenza, and after that, a quite fun and rhythmic jazzistic section. Great use of orchestral piano as well. One of my favorite clarinet concertos from now on.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 02, 2021, 07:18:38 PM
I can't believe I didn't remember how thoroughly stupendous Copland's Clarinet Concerto is. A seriously extraordinary piece, with its pensive and nostalgic beginning that lead to a tricky cadenza, and after that, a quite fun and rhythmic jazzistic section. Great use of orchestral piano as well. One of my favorite clarinet concertos from now on.

Yeah, I've always liked this concerto as well, Cesar. You've got to hear the Goodman/Copland performance. It's a classic!

Elvira_R0825

Not that recently, but "Il grande inquisitor!" bass duet again and again.

vandermolen

I think that is probably generally true of other countries as well. British literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Dickens, Orwell etc), art, theatre and cinema are often admired but not music, other than pop music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on April 03, 2021, 11:25:53 PM
I think that is probably generally true of other countries as well. British literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Dickens, Orwell etc), art, theatre and cinema are often admired but not music, other than pop music.

Your cuisine is also not appreciated! ;D

kyjo

Cross-posted from the Medtner thread:

Recently I've been blown away by Medtner's Sonata Romantica in B-flat minor. I have no trouble declaring this as one of my favorite solo piano works ever. It's absolutely sublime. The secondary theme of the first movement, which enters just after the 1-minute mark, is one of the most achingly beautiful melodies I've ever heard. It's one of those themes that sticks with you for days on end. It's so tender, longing, nostalgic, just lovely beyond words. Medtner also knows how to write really effective energetic music too, as demonstrated by the 2nd and 4th movements which have a decidedly jazzy syncopated feel at times. I've sometimes seen Medtner called "the Russian Brahms" or "Rachmaninoff without the tunes" but let me say that is total nonsense. He was a masterful composer, and in fact I must say that I overall prefer his solo piano music to that of Rachmaninoff! Sergei is of course one of my favorite composers on the basis of his wonderful concertante and orchestral music, but some of his solo piano music is a bit elusive to me. Medtner's, on the other hand, speaks directly to me, especially the wonderful Sonata Romantica.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on April 20, 2021, 08:12:37 PM

Recently I've been blown away by Medtner's Sonata Romantica in B-flat minor. I have no trouble declaring this as one of my favorite solo piano works ever. It's absolutely sublime. The secondary theme of the first movement, which enters just after the 1-minute mark, is one of the most achingly beautiful melodies I've ever heard. It's one of those themes that sticks with you for days on end. It's so tender, longing, nostalgic, just lovely beyond words. Medtner also knows how to write really effective energetic music too, as demonstrated by the 2nd and 4th movements which have a decidedly jazzy syncopated feel at times. I've sometimes seen Medtner called "the Russian Brahms" or "Rachmaninoff without the tunes" but let me say that is total nonsense. He was a masterful composer, and in fact I must say that I overall prefer his solo piano music to that of Rachmaninoff! Sergei is of course one of my favorite composers on the basis of his wonderful concertante and orchestral music, but some of his solo piano music is a bit elusive to me. Medtner's, on the other hand, speaks directly to me, especially the wonderful Sonata Romantica.

I still think he's basically Rachmaninov without the tunes. So, yeah, I guess it's as nonsensical to praise him as it is not to praise him. Either way, I haven't heard one work from Medtner that I'd want to listen to again.

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2021, 08:16:13 PM
I still think he's basically Rachmaninov without the tunes. So, yeah, I guess it's as nonsensical to praise him as it is not to praise him. Either way, I haven't heard one work from Medtner that I'd want to listen to again.

That only really reflects on your abilities of appreciation rather than on Medtner's quality as a composer.  ::)

Wanderer

Quote from: DavidW on March 24, 2021, 11:31:08 AM
Elgar's first symphony was a new discovery.  Posters (who have not been here for many, many years) dissuaded me for ever bothering with his symphonies.

Hell is filled with people like these.  ;D

Do listen to the Sinopoli version, as well - and, of course, the second symphony also awaits you.  ;)

bhodges

I have never understood this, either. The other day I saw a piece by Finzi programmed (still trying to find the concert where it appeared) and realized that you rarely see any Finzi at all in the United States. And his choral music, especially, is about as radiant as it gets.

Quote from: kyjo on April 20, 2021, 08:12:37 PM

An extraordinary composer. I first heard Hamelin's recording of Forgotten Melodies (fantastic), and then found other works. Didn't know the Romantica, but am listening now -- by Geoffrey Tozer, synced with the score (which I often find makes interesting listening). I agree, lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EAmPjn08Y

--Bruce

Iota

Quote from: philoctetes on April 20, 2021, 09:03:56 PM
Luigi Russolo's Intonarumoris (1913)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYPXAo1cOA4

I've just begun to research the futurists, and I wish I had done it sooner - this piece is extraordinary, as it is the beginning (I think) of the music I love the the most - so expansive and exploratory, playfully stretching the ear readying it for new thoughts and ideas. In short, joyful noise.

That seems pretty amazing for 1913! I found myself wondering if it was ever done with more than one performer.

Iota

Quote from: philoctetes on April 21, 2021, 05:51:25 AM
I think this piece would be pretty amazing for 2021!  ;D

I'd love to give it a shot - get my sprinting boots on!  8)

;D  With your passion, I think you deserve a crack at it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on April 21, 2021, 04:42:05 AM
I have never understood this, either. The other day I saw a piece by Finzi programmed (still trying to find the concert where it appeared) and realized that you rarely see any Finzi at all in the United States. And his choral music, especially, is about as radiant as it gets.
--Bruce
I haven't heard of many performances of Finzi's music, but I'm not really involved in the live music scene for the most part.  I do know that I frequently hear his music broadcasted over local NPR radio station--along with a number of other British performers.  Don't recall hearing his choral work broadcast though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Arthur Meulemans' ravishing Symphony No. 3 Dennensymfonie (Fir Symphony)

On revisiting it I was overwhelmed by its mercilessly gorgeousness once again. Lovely and enchanting beyond explanations, and ends in the most majestic way. I love this piece. Very recommended if you are into opulent, lush, atmospheric symphonies.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

arpeggio

A composer who always impresses me is Poulenc.

I just discovered his Cello Sonata.

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on April 27, 2021, 05:50:14 PM
A composer who always impresses me is Poulenc.

I just discovered his Cello Sonata.

Ah yes, lovely work, indeed and one of my favorite composers. His chamber music is out-of-this-world.

arpeggio

I have been a aficionado of the music of Magnus Lindberg.  I really enjoyed the music on this album.