Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I have to say for the first-time I have been blown away by Shostakovich's Symphony No. 14 in G minor, Op. 135. This used to be one of my least favorite Shostakovich symphonies along with the 2nd, 3rd and 12th, but not any longer! This bleak, darkly introspective song cycle symphony is unique in that it has sparse instrumentation throughout the entire duration of the work: only strings and percussion, but, yet, he's able to use this arrangement of instruments in a totally singular way. This is a death haunted work and would make for a nice a Halloween playlist. But, I think it shows the composer in a different light and further illustrates why I believe his music is important outside of its political context. One doesn't need to know about Stalin or the Soviet Union to appreciate this work. I clearly acknowledge Shostakovich's hardships and trials and tribulations, but in all honesty, I can listen to Shostakovich or any Soviet Era composer without knowing their historical context. Two performances I recently heard of this symphony: Barshai and Kitayenko have given me a newfound appreciation for it. Looking forward to listening to the other performances in my collection, although I might not listen to all of them. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2021, 07:48:19 PM
I have to say for the first-time I have been blown away by Shostakovich's Symphony No. 14 in G minor, Op. 135. This used to be one of my least favorite Shostakovich symphonies along with the 2nd, 3rd and 12th, but not any longer! This bleak, darkly introspective song cycle symphony is unique in that it has sparse instrumentation throughout the entire duration of the work: only strings and percussion, but, yet, he's able to use this arrangement of instruments in a totally singular way. This is a death haunted work and would make for a nice a Halloween playlist. But, I think it shows the composer in a different light and further illustrates why I believe his music is important outside of its political context. One doesn't need to know about Stalin or the Soviet Union to appreciate this work. I clearly acknowledge Shostakovich's hardships and trials and tribulations, but in all honesty, I can listen to Shostakovich or any Soviet Era composer without knowing their historical context. Two performances I recently heard of this symphony: Barshai and Kitayenko have given me a newfound appreciation for it. Looking forward to listening to the other performances in my collection, although I might not listen to all of them. :)

The 14th Symphony has been in my Top 5 for some time now. Glad to hear it is now making an impression on you.  :)

The new erato

In mine too. As a song cycle, on "Lied von der Erde" level.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 28, 2021, 03:05:44 AM
The 14th Symphony has been in my Top 5 for some time now. Glad to hear it is now making an impression on you.  :)

Your "Top 5" of all-time or just in relation to Shostakovich's works?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 28, 2021, 06:31:06 AM
Your "Top 5" of all-time or just in relation to Shostakovich's works?

Shostakovich symphonies

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on October 27, 2021, 07:36:06 PM
Ben-Haim: Symphony no. 1

I can't believe I'd waited until now to hear this extraordinary work! The outer movements is exciting as hell, with plenty of drama, some folksy touches, and truly convincing sense of narrative. The slow movement is truly magical, building to a lyrically passionate climax. Not to mention the entire work is brilliantly orchestrated from start to finish, and it really doesn't sound much like anyone else. It receives a smoking performance by the BBC Phil under Omer Meir Wellber - I'm sure Hurwitz would never call them the "world's dullest orchestra" again after hearing this recording! ;)

Yes, a superb symphony, and I yet have to give a proper listen to that CD at some moment.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

A performance that has blown me away recently: Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh Symphony's new recording of Brahms 4:

A recording that once again proves the prowess of Honeck and the PSO as one of today's most inspiring conductor/orchestra teams. The first movement is expansive, beautifully lyrical, yet urgent when required, especially in the coda. The slow movement maintains the crucial flow that eludes some conductors, and the string chorale at the climax is jaw-droppingly rich and sonorous. The scherzo sounds more dynamic, brilliant, and exciting than I've heard before. Honeck brings out the darkly tragic element in the finale, with keenly judged, flexible tempi. It's tremendously fiery and passionate, with the ethereal middle section providing the requisite contrast. While I cannot claim to be an expert in Brahms symphony recordings, I don't see any reason why this new version should not be one of the finest available. James MacMillan's solemnly moving Larghetto is a substantial bonus!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 27, 2021, 07:36:06 PM
Ben-Haim: Symphony no. 1

I can't believe I'd waited until now to hear this extraordinary work! The outer movements is exciting as hell, with plenty of drama, some folksy touches, and truly convincing sense of narrative. The slow movement is truly magical, building to a lyrically passionate climax. Not to mention the entire work is brilliantly orchestrated from start to finish, and it really doesn't sound much like anyone else. It receives a smoking performance by the BBC Phil under Omer Meir Wellber - I'm sure Hurwitz would never call them the "world's dullest orchestra" again after hearing this recording! ;)
+1 and the same goes for Symphony No.2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on October 31, 2021, 06:17:44 AM
A performance that has blown me away recently: Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh Symphony's new recording of Brahms 4:

A recording that once again proves the prowess of Honeck and the PSO as one of today's most inspiring conductor/orchestra teams. The first movement is expansive, beautifully lyrical, yet urgent when required, especially in the coda. The slow movement maintains the crucial flow that eludes some conductors, and the string chorale at the climax is jaw-droppingly rich and sonorous. The scherzo sounds more dynamic, brilliant, and exciting than I've heard before. Honeck brings out the darkly tragic element in the finale, with keenly judged, flexible tempi. It's tremendously fiery and passionate, with the ethereal middle section providing the requisite contrast. While I cannot claim to be an expert in Brahms symphony recordings, I don't see any reason why this new version should not be one of the finest available. James MacMillan's solemnly moving Larghetto is a substantial bonus!

Aagh - I don't want to read this kind of praise!!  I really love Honeck's Pittsburgh recordings for exactly the reasons you state.  But I'd convinced myself I didn't need another Brahms 4 - and now you have to go and puncture my resolve (!)  ;)

vandermolen

'Blown away' might not be the right expression but I found myself tearing up while listening to William Alwyn's 'Pastoral Fantasia' recently. I've owned the Chandos recording for years but I had not registered how beautiful this work is until hearing David Lloyd-Jones's recording with the Royal Liverpool PO on Naxos (Philip Dukes, Viola). Maybe the fact that this lyrical and reflective work was written on the eve of World War Two added to the poignancy of the experience.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2021, 01:25:03 PM
'Blown away' might not be the right expression but I found myself tearing up while listening to William Alwyn's 'Pastoral Fantasia' recently. I've owned the Chandos recording for years but I had not registered how beautiful this work is until hearing David Lloyd-Jones's recording with the Royal Liverpool PO on Naxos (Philip Dukes, Viola). Maybe the fact that this lyrical and reflective work was written on the eve of World War Two added to the poignancy of the experience.

Wow!  Based on your recommendation I listened to this disc and was equally blown away!  Fantastic music!

Symphonic Addict

Through several weeks I've come to gather a good bunch of discoveries and rediscoveries that have cemented my infinite liking for classical music. It's amazing how this music has transformed my life, and vision of things in general.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 01, 2021, 06:08:46 PM
Through several weeks I've come to gather a good bunch of discoveries and rediscoveries that have cemented my infinite liking for classical music. It's amazing how this music has transformed my life, and vision of things in general.

That is the best "blown away" of all.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on November 02, 2021, 12:34:41 AM
That is the best "blown away" of all.

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2021, 12:54:25 AM
Yes, you're right Lol!

Hahaha, made my day. But seriously. Classical music never ceases to amaze me. I understand the works and their structures better.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 01, 2021, 06:08:46 PM

I feel the same way you do, Cesar. I would like to think all of us have a similar experience. Classical music has enriched my life in ways I still can't fathom and that are beyond my comprehension. It is my passion and I couldn't imagine my life without it.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 02, 2021, 08:09:54 PM
I feel the same way you do, Cesar. I would like to think all of us have a similar experience. Classical music has enriched my life in ways I still can't fathom and that are beyond my comprehension. It is my passion and I couldn't imagine my life without it.

+++1

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on November 01, 2021, 05:04:17 PM
Wow!  Based on your recommendation I listened to this disc and was equally blown away!  Fantastic music!
Delighted to hear that Karim!
:)

mahler10th

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2021, 01:25:03 PM

After reading that last night, and as an admirer of Alwyn's music, I bought it as a FLAC download from Presto Classical.  Listened earlier this morning.  At less than £4, it was a bargain!  There is a lot of great music on this 'disc' and the Pastoral Fantasia is beautiful!  I also thought the Scottish Dances were just the thing, and went for a quick skirl to Miss Ann Carnegie's Hornpipe!  Great recommendation, thanks for that.  ;D