Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stenzel and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 07, 2021, 06:17:39 AM
Two Schubert works have blown me away today. The Piano Trio No. 2 in E flat and the Fantasy in C for violin and piano. Both with incredible virtuoso writing for all the instruments, but especially the piano.

Pounds the table!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 07, 2021, 06:17:39 AM
Two Schubert works have blown me away today. The Piano Trio No. 2 in E flat and the Fantasy in C for violin and piano. Both with incredible virtuoso writing for all the instruments, but especially the piano.

Oh yes, two masterpieces indeed. There is really nothing else in the repertoire quite like late Schubert. Do you know his incredibly poignant String Quintet?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: André on December 07, 2021, 11:27:03 AM
After a bout of listenings to Franz Schmidt's 4th symphony, I am smitten and consider it a true masterpiece. Influences by Delius, Bruckner, Wagner, Strauss can be found (imagined?) but it's a work unlike any other.

One of my absolute favorite symphonies, and it's always great to see such admiration for it here on GMG. It amazes me how Schmidt could churn out something as dull and academic as his Concerto for Piano Left-Hand (which I sampled recently, what a disappointment!) after writing such a masterpiece as the 4th Symphony just a year earlier....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Maestro267

Quote from: kyjo on December 12, 2021, 09:11:33 AM
Oh yes, two masterpieces indeed. There is really nothing else in the repertoire quite like late Schubert. Do you know his incredibly poignant String Quintet?

I need to get to that.

vers la flamme

I posted about this in the "What are you listening 2 now" thread, but the very last track on Jordi Savall's disc Les voix humaines, Bourée in G major, apparently by J. S. Bach. I can't find any more information on this piece, but it's beautiful, a two-minute bourée for solo plucked viol. If anyone knows anything about this piece, please do tell, because it blew me away.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 12, 2021, 11:05:55 AM
I need to get to that.

This is a recording to consider seriously. It's that great!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 12, 2021, 09:14:29 AM
One of my absolute favorite symphonies, and it's always great to see such admiration for it here on GMG. It amazes me how Schmidt could churn out something as dull and academic as his Concerto for Piano Left-Hand (which I sampled recently, what a disappointment!) after writing such a masterpiece as the 4th Symphony just a year earlier....

I don't remember the concerto well right now, but I didn't think too bad about it. I concur with the greatness of the Fourth, nonetheless!!!

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 12, 2021, 04:32:52 PM

Seconded. I also love the Pavel Haas Quartet + Danjulo Ishizaka recording on Supraphon, and the Alban Berg Quartett + Heinrich Schiff on EMI. It's a work that's been very well served on disc.

Maestro267

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 12, 2021, 04:32:52 PM

Listened to this yesterday. Holy cow! Another masterpiece to add to the collection! I remember hearing it once at a late-night Proms concert on the radio but it's been a while since then. Again, incredible proto-chromaticism in this work.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 14, 2021, 12:43:46 PM
Listened to this yesterday. Holy cow! Another masterpiece to add to the collection! I remember hearing it once at a late-night Proms concert on the radio but it's been a while since then. Again, incredible proto-chromaticism in this work.

You're realizing that you've neglected chamber music for too long? ;)

Maestro267

Nah, it feels like the right time to begin to embrace it.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 16, 2021, 12:08:18 AM
Nah, it feels like the right time to begin to embrace it.

Better late than never! 8)

kyjo

Countess Maria Theodora Paulina (Dora) Pejačević: Piano Quintet in B minor, op. 40 [1915-18]

The scherzo: https://youtu.be/oLn2q3OzxLs

Holy s&*%!!!! This is an undoubted masterpiece as far as I'm concerned; a wonder of memorable themes, inventive and compelling harmonies, ear-catching part-writing, and sheer effusive passion. In short, it's everything one wants a late-romantic chamber work to be, and has absolutely nothing to envy from the recognized masterpieces of the "standard repertoire". There's not a single dull moment; Pejačević keeps the musical flow wonderfully organic in a way that rather reminds me of Faure, without sounding anything like him. (And let me be honest: Pejačević is more exciting and has even better tunes!) If you have any doubts, please sample the miraculous Trio section of the third movement Scherzo (which begins at 3:45 in the above linked video). Absolutely heavenly and sheer bliss can only begin to describe the sensation of this section, and indeed, the whole work!

The CPO recording with the Quatuor Sine Nomine and Oliver Triendl is, fortunately, absolutely stellar and full of the joy of discovery. Hopefully many more recordings and performances will follow suit, especially with the increased interest lately in female composers. Regarding the sadly short-lived Pejačević (1885-1923), judging from what I've heard her output appears to be rather uneven, but when inspiration seized her, as it surely does in the Piano Quintet, she demands attention. I recall being impressed by her sole Symphony in F-sharp minor, but less so by her Cello Sonata and Piano Trio (all of which - plus more - have been recorded by CPO).

P.S. Merry Christmas to all!! :)

Symphonic Addict

This will puzzle you, Kyle, but I don't remember being as enthralled by her Piano Quintet as you. Her chamber work that has impressed me the most is the String Quartet. Pure late-Romanticism, gorgeousness and elegance. Nonetheless, on the strength of your vivid impressions, I'm gonna give the Piano Quintet a try soon.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 25, 2021, 10:40:58 AM
This will puzzle you, Kyle, but I don't remember being as enthralled by her Piano Quintet as you. Her chamber work that has impressed me the most is the String Quartet. Pure late-Romanticism, gorgeousness and elegance. Nonetheless, on the strength of your vivid impressions, I'm gonna give the Piano Quintet a try soon.

I am befuddled indeed, Cesar! :D I'm definitely gonna give her String Quartet a spin soon. Well, give the Piano Quintet another try and let me know what you think, but if you still aren't enthralled, it will at least reassure other GMG members that we aren't the same person! ;)

Also, IIRC, Madiel is an admirer of Pejacevic's music. I'd be curious to hear his impressions!

Florestan

Mozart' s Symphony No. 33. A masterpiece of order and elegance alloyed with good humor and smiles. Mozart rocks!

(Kertesz & VPO on repeat)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 25, 2021, 11:08:29 AM
I am befuddled indeed, Cesar! :D I'm definitely gonna give her String Quartet a spin soon. Well, give the Piano Quintet another try and let me know what you think, but if you still aren't enthralled, it will at least reassure other GMG members that we aren't the same person! ;)

Haha perhaps it has to do with how your tastes change over the time, or maybe it depends on your mood at the moment you take time to sit and listen. The truth here is that I love Pejacevic's music, and as you, her Symphony in F sharp minor has some ravishing music.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Górecki: Concerto for harpsichord and string orchestra

Both work and performance comprise quite an experience! And it is just 9 minutes long. Exciting to say the least!

https://www.youtube.com/v/tyXjX-IOP6s

This one too: Popov's majestic and epic Symphony No. 2!

Gosh, is there anything more sublime than the 1st movement Andante con moto e molto espressivo? Beautiful, and it sounds very much of his own, I mean, not Shostakovich-influenced, but more personal and heartfelt, and even more cinematic. A favorite Russian forever!

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 25, 2021, 08:58:49 PM
Górecki: Concerto for harpsichord and string orchestra

Both work and performance comprise quite an experience! And it is just 9 minutes long. Exciting to say the least!

https://www.youtube.com/v/tyXjX-IOP6s

This one too: Popov's majestic and epic Symphony No. 2!

Gosh, is there anything more sublime than the 1st movement Andante con moto e molto espressivo? Beautiful, and it sounds very much of his own, I mean, not Shostakovich-influenced, but more personal and heartfelt, and even more cinematic. A favorite Russian forever!

Yeah, the Gorecki is a stunner indeed! It sounds nothing like his famous 3rd Symphony, for instance. I have fond memories of the Popov. I revisited his more modernistic 1st Symphony last night, which I can't rank too highly on account of its overlong, poorly structured, and not terribly memorable (IMHO) 1st movement. However, the 2nd and 3rd movements are a considerable improvement, above all the terrifically noisy and exciting finale.