Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 07, 2022, 11:43:49 AM
Recently, I've been blown away by Szymanowski's Métopes, Op. 29. Such an unusual piece in terms of atmosphere, but the harmonic content is beguiling.

Never heard of it...must experience it as I'm a huge fan of the composer!

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on February 07, 2022, 04:29:10 PM
Never heard of it...must experience it as I'm a huge fan of the composer!

It's a work for solo piano. I've become rather enthralled by so much his solo piano music and, like you, I'm a huge fan of the composer.

kyjo

Korngold: Suite for 2 Violins, Cello, and Piano left-hand (1930); Schmidt: Piano Quintet in G major (1926)

Where have these works been all my life?? The unusually scored Korngold is one of his most harmonically adventurous works (along with the Symphony), especially in the often angular first movement. This, along with his characteristically lush lyricism, gives the work a sweet-and-tart flavor which is really appealing to me. The finale, a masterfully developed theme and variations, caps off this marvelously colorful and eclectic work. If anything, I was even more taken with the Schmidt quintet! It's written in Schmidt's characteristically rather understated (but never dull!) and bittersweet style, juxtaposing winding chromatic harmonies with beautiful diatonic melodies. The whole work is excellent, but Schmidt had a real knack for writing deeply touching slow movements, and this one is certainly no exception. It's stunningly beautiful in its timeless simplicity, and I won't deny that it brought me to tears!! Needless to say, the performances by these "big name" artists are uniformly superb and give this splendid music the advocacy it so richly deserves. Any self-respecting chamber music enthusiast needs to hear these works!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Ginastera's 2nd Cello Concerto from last night blew me away! I listened to it twice in a row.

Here is the recording I listened to:

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2022, 07:23:32 PMGinastera
Cello Concerto No. 2, Op. 50
Aurora Nátola-Ginastera, cello
Orquesta Sinfónica de Castilla y León
Max Bragado Darman

I have another recording on Naxos, but, honestly, it pales in comparison to the sheer spirit of this Nátola-Ginastera performance.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on February 10, 2022, 09:20:39 AM
Korngold: Suite for 2 Violins, Cello, and Piano left-hand (1930); Schmidt: Piano Quintet in G major (1926)

Where have these works been all my life?? The unusually scored Korngold is one of his most harmonically adventurous works (along with the Symphony), especially in the often angular first movement. This, along with his characteristically lush lyricism, gives the work a sweet-and-tart flavor which is really appealing to me. The finale, a masterfully developed theme and variations, caps off this marvelously colorful and eclectic work. If anything, I was even more taken with the Schmidt quintet! It's written in Schmidt's characteristically rather understated (but never dull!) and bittersweet style, juxtaposing winding chromatic harmonies with beautiful diatonic melodies. The whole work is excellent, but Schmidt had a real knack for writing deeply touching slow movements, and this one is certainly no exception. It's stunningly beautiful in its timeless simplicity, and I won't deny that it brought me to tears!! Needless to say, the performances by these "big name" artists are uniformly superb and give this splendid music the advocacy it so richly deserves. Any self-respecting chamber music enthusiast needs to hear these works!!

A great work, Kyle (along with the Korngold). His other quintets with piano and clarinet are a little more elusive and intimate, though, there is some well-crafted music in those works.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2022, 05:44:54 AM
Ginastera's 2nd Cello Concerto from last night blew me away! I listened to it twice in a row.

Here is the recording I listened to:

I have another recording on Naxos, but, honestly, it pales in comparison to the sheer spirit of this Nátola-Ginastera performance.

I'll have to check this recording out. When I started exploring those concertos, I was kind of underwhelmed because of the challenging music. I suspect that things have changed for good now.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Ivanovs: Symphony No. 6 Latgalian

According to my tastes, this ranks very high in my musical preferences: an epic, memorable, noble symphony.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 11:19:16 AM
I'll have to check this recording out. When I started exploring those concertos, I was kind of underwhelmed because of the challenging music. I suspect that things have changed for good now.

I personally don't find the music challenging, but this is because I've become more and more accustomed to listening to post-war avant-gardists like Boulez, Scelsi, Ligeti et. al. Ginastera actually sounds more rooted in tradition by comparison.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 11, 2022, 04:42:18 PM
Ivanovs: Symphony No. 6 Latgalian

According to my tastes, this ranks very high in my musical preferences: an epic, memorable, noble symphony.

Good to know, Cesar! I'll be giving this one a spin soon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

This is a disc I've owned for ages and always enjoy listening to.  But today it really hit a chord.  What a great piece Bruch's Octet is!  Hilariously "out of its time" given that it was written in 1920 and sounds like Mendelssohn's more muscular brother.  But hell - who cares - there are various performances but this is a cracker and the couplings are pretty damm good too.......

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 17, 2022, 07:59:58 AM
This is a disc I've owned for ages and always enjoy listening to.  But today it really hit a chord.  What a great piece Bruch's Octet is!  Hilariously "out of its time" given that it was written in 1920 and sounds like Mendelssohn's more muscular brother.  But hell - who cares - there are various performances but this is a cracker and the couplings are pretty damm good too.......

Oh yes, I was really impressed by this vivacious and tuneful work when I revisited it a few days ago. Don't miss out on Bruch's much earlier and too-little-mentioned SQs, given fiery performances by the Diogenes Quartet here:

If you must sample only one movement, let it be the insanely catchy scherzo from
the 2nd quartet: https://youtu.be/OO5JwiIgIDk

Symphonic Addict

Schubert: Wanderer Fantasie for piano and orchestra (orc. by Liszt).

Fuc**g masterpiece and performance! This has to be one of the most tuneful and catchy pieces ever written by anyone. And this performance does justice to the piece IMO. Exhilarating in a high degree!

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 18, 2022, 03:42:56 PM

Fuc**g masterpiece and performance! This has to be one of the most tuneful and catchy pieces ever written by anyone. And this performance does justice to the piece IMO. Exhilarating in a high degree!

Whoa! Didn't know Liszt transcribed the Wanderer for piano and orchestra. Must seek out this disc.

kyjo

Juon: Octet in B-flat major for Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon & Horn (1905)

https://youtu.be/yWS1lpkTw4s

This magnificent creation confirms Juon as one of my very favorite composers of chamber music. In fact, I'd put him right behind Dvorak and Brahms in that regard! It's an unabashedly joyous and sunny work for a delicious combination of instruments, with melancholy only appearing in the slow movement. Juon's melodic inspiration never ceases to amaze me, also I adore that charming rustic touch that makes his music so distinctive. For example, witness the theme at 2:20 in the first movement: it's so f*#&$*%^ catchy!! Also, the swooning, ultra-romantic theme at 26:20 in the finale is enough to make Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff green with envy! Fortunately, the performance in the above video (not sure if it's a commercial recording) does full justice to the work. Cesar, Andre, Andrei, et al. need to hear this!!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 19, 2022, 08:24:48 AM
Whoa! Didn't know Liszt transcribed the Wanderer for piano and orchestra. Must seek out this disc.

Symphonic Addict doesn't say which version floated his boat(!) - but I like this one......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_6e0C3NnI

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 18, 2022, 03:42:56 PM

You should hear the Koechlin orchestration!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on February 17, 2022, 02:02:15 PM
Oh yes, I was really impressed by this vivacious and tuneful work when I revisited it a few days ago. Don't miss out on Bruch's much earlier and too-little-mentioned SQs, given fiery performances by the Diogenes Quartet here:

If you must sample only one movement, let it be the insanely catchy scherzo from
the 2nd quartet: https://youtu.be/OO5JwiIgIDk

I know the first two quartets from the Quartetto Academica recording which didn't include the Op.posth.  haven't listened to that disc in years - you've re-piqued my interest!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on February 22, 2022, 03:29:50 PM
Juon: Octet in B-flat major for Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon & Horn (1905)

https://youtu.be/yWS1lpkTw4s

This magnificent creation confirms Juon as one of my very favorite composers of chamber music. In fact, I'd put him right behind Dvorak and Brahms in that regard! It's an unabashedly joyous and sunny work for a delicious combination of instruments, with melancholy only appearing in the slow movement. Juon's melodic inspiration never ceases to amaze me, also I adore that charming rustic touch that makes his music so distinctive. For example, witness the theme at 2:20 in the first movement: it's so f*#&$*%^ catchy!! Also, the swooning, ultra-romantic theme at 26:20 in the finale is enough to make Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff green with envy! Fortunately, the performance in the above video (not sure if it's a commercial recording) does full justice to the work. Cesar, Andre, Andrei, et al. need to hear this!!

This work does deserve this category indeed. Thanks for the suggestion, Kyle! A phenomenal and expertly-written creation.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 26, 2022, 03:37:08 PM
This work does deserve this category indeed. Thanks for the suggestion, Kyle! A phenomenal and expertly-written creation.

Glad you enjoyed it, Cesar!

André

While the whole program is great, the 2nd symphony and the opera suite are instant hits. Terrific pieces both.