Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: André on February 27, 2022, 04:22:20 PM

While the whole program is great, the 2nd symphony and the opera suite are instant hits. Terrific pieces both.

Interesting stuff, André! How are the performances?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Performances are excellent, Kyle. The San Luis Potosi orchestra is very good and boasts a solo horn player of stunning ability (fearless in the scherzo).

kyjo

Quote from: André on February 28, 2022, 05:44:58 AM
Performances are excellent, Kyle. The San Luis Potosi orchestra is very good and boasts a solo horn player of stunning ability (fearless in the scherzo).

Great to hear, André! I'll be giving Carrillo a spin soon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on February 28, 2022, 06:47:41 AM

I find this hard to believe since you're one of those listeners who streams music. ;)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 28, 2022, 06:49:16 AM
I find this hard to believe since you're one of those listeners who streams music. ;)

Ahhhh, you got me! :D

André

Quote from: kyjo on February 28, 2022, 06:47:41 AM

Booklet notes speak about influences from Wagner, Bruckner, Rachmaninov, even Satie. I haven't heard any of it, save for Carillo's expert use of thematic transformation. Melodic cells are bold and easy to spot as they undergo rythmic, harmonic or instrumental changes. If anything, I was reminded of the symphonies of Stenhammar (also said to harbor brucknerian influences) and Alfven. A common lineage of influence may be the Berlin-Leipzig-Dresden axis. Carillo, Alfven and Stenhammar all had strong links to these centres of musical influence.

Symphonic Addict

Today earlier I listened to the Carrillo Symphony and it is a superb work indeed. Thanks André for bringing it to our attention. I do hear some hints of Bruckner, Wagner and Rachmaninov there. Another composer that came to mind was Richard Wetz. I'm not claiming that the work is derivative, but I do feel a connection with those composers.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Francisco Mignone: Piano Concerto

Stunning to say the least! An imaginative Neo-Romantic piece.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The 6th String Quartet. What a tuneful and infectious piece of music! Love how witty and elegant it is.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 09, 2022, 07:18:20 PM

The 6th String Quartet. What a tuneful and infectious piece of music! Love how witty and elegant it is.

A great set. Haydn quartets cast a long shadow.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 03, 2022, 07:12:03 PM
This:

https://www.youtube.com/v/BM1HMf-LO1M

Nightmarish music!

And so far ahead of its' time! I mean there are composers working today who still trying to figure Webern out. I have to say he's the most enigmatic of the Second Viennese School.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 11, 2022, 05:18:49 PM
And so far ahead of its' time! I mean there are composers working today who still trying to figure Webern out. I have to say he's the most enigmatic of the Second Viennese School.

Absolutely. It definitely is enigmatic. I've enjoyed some of his works, something I hadn't expected as soon.

Noam Chomsky

steve ridgway

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 11, 2022, 05:47:48 PM
Absolutely. It definitely is enigmatic. I've enjoyed some of his works, something I hadn't expected as soon.

I'm also very impressed by the Five Movements for String Quartet; surprised and delighted to find such unusual music being composed in the early 1900s. 8)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 11, 2022, 10:09:41 PM
I'm also very impressed by the Five Movements for String Quartet; surprised and delighted to find such unusual music being composed in the early 1900s. 8)

For a listener like me it's meant an interesting pass forward in obtaining entertainment or pleasure from works I never considered could like or enjoy. Hopefully I'll find more works that catch my attention by him and others.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Eshpai: Symphony no. 2 Praise to Light (1962)

https://youtu.be/0XSIcvaQ_qs

OMG!!! I really ought to start paying more attention to this composer!! This riveting symphony is in two substantial movements: the first strongly rhythmic and almost American-sounding, and the second beginning with an extraordinarily atmospheric and melancholic passage featuring Russian folk instruments (?) followed by a viscerally exciting, toccata-like section which is capped off by an affirmative, anthem-like coda. It's all scintillatingly orchestrated and given a throughly involved performance here by the USSR Large Symphony Orchestra under Konstantin Ivanov. Great stuff!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on March 19, 2022, 04:19:55 PM

OMG!!! I really ought to start paying more attention to this composer!! This riveting symphony is in two substantial movements: the first strongly rhythmic and almost American-sounding, and the second beginning with an extraordinarily atmospheric and melancholic passage featuring Russian folk instruments (?) followed by a viscerally exciting, toccata-like section which is capped off by an affirmative, anthem-like coda. It's all scintillatingly orchestrated and given a throughly involved performance here by the USSR Large Symphony Orchestra under Konstantin Ivanov. Great stuff!

Thanks for the heads-up.  I see that Qobuz has the 4 volumes of this series in CD quality downloads quite reasonably at the moment...... £4.00 ish each

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on March 19, 2022, 04:19:55 PM

If you don't yet know it Kyle, you have to hear 'Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari' (+ Symphony No.5)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Patrick Hadley 'The Hills'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2022, 12:28:55 PM
If you don't yet know it Kyle, you have to hear 'Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari' (+ Symphony No.5)

Yeah, the Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari is a fine work. I believe I heard the 5th Symphony a while ago and recall enjoying it. Have you heard the 2nd Symphony, Jeffrey?