Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on October 22, 2022, 05:26:38 AM
Personally, I couldn't live without either composer's chamber output. I think both composers composed some of their finest and most personal music in the medium of chamber music.

Agreed completely.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

staxomega

Debussy's Sonata for Flute, Viola, and Harp, it has been too long since I've heard this.

relm1

I very much enjoyed Adrian Williams' Symphony No. 1 from English Symphony Orchestra and Ken Woods.

The entire album can be heard on youtube.  Very fine music, lyrical and colorful.  The last movement reminds me of Scriabin. 

Maestro267

I thoroughly enjoyed my first listen to Ernest Bloch's Violin Concerto yesterday. A substantial work in the large-scale concerto vein.

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 27, 2022, 08:10:21 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed my first listen to Ernest Bloch's Violin Concerto yesterday. A substantial work in the large-scale concerto vein.

Agree wholeheartedly. Should have made it my No.3 on most beautiful violin concertos thread.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 27, 2022, 08:10:21 AM

I agree as well.  Curious, what recording are you referring to?  I thought very highly of this disc:

Roasted Swan

Yesterday I played in a concert that included Ola Gjeilo's "Sunrise Mass".  I do rate Gjeilo and certainly in performance audiences respond to his brand of "ecstatic" choral writing.  Yes OK, he might be a bit of a one trick pony but when that trick's a good 'un why not!!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXEVaciIKM

Maestro267

Quote from: relm1 on October 28, 2022, 04:06:56 PM
I agree as well.  Curious, what recording are you referring to?

Just the one on Naxos, is all.

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 30, 2022, 12:27:48 PM
Yesterday I played in a concert that included Ola Gjeilo's "Sunrise Mass".  I do rate Gjeilo and certainly in performance audiences respond to his brand of "ecstatic" choral writing.  Yes OK, he might be a bit of a one trick pony but when that trick's a good 'un why not!!??

Wow, he was my classmate!  So proud of him!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 30, 2022, 12:27:48 PM

Quote from: relm1 on October 30, 2022, 05:07:37 PM
Wow, he was my classmate!  So proud of him!
Interesting to see his name mentioned.  I was playing Byrdle a couple of days ago (like Wordle but choral music related) and was having a heck of a time figuring out the answer (down to my last guess) and it turned out to be Gjello.  I only managed to solve it by putting in what letters I had solved into my search engine and adding something like "choral music" after it.

I did then listen to a couple of his works on youtube.  Will check out his Sunrise Mass.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 31, 2022, 12:37:53 AM
Interesting to see his name mentioned.  I was playing Byrdle a couple of days ago (like Wordle but choral music related) and was having a heck of a time figuring out the answer (down to my last guess) and it turned out to be Gjello.  I only managed to solve it by putting in what letters I had solved into my search engine and adding something like "choral music" after it.

I did then listen to a couple of his works on youtube.  Will check out his Sunrise Mass.

PD

Wow, you know you've made it when you're the answer to a game.  Sunrise Mass was a popular hit just after we graduated.  He's also very good at jazz improvisation. 

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on October 31, 2022, 06:04:10 AM
Wow, you know you've made it when you're the answer to a game.  Sunrise Mass was a popular hit just after we graduated.  He's also very good at jazz improvisation.

I got an email from the fixer for Saturday's concert passing on the thanks of the (very good) choir conductor to the orchestra players.  But of particular interest was the conductor's comment that the feedback from the audience was exceptionally enthusiastic for the Sunrise Mass.  It certainly felt that way - and it was good to be in a large church space with a big and enthusiastic audience.  Post covid here in the UK it is very noticeable that the core CM concert audience (basically old!) is still not keen on sitting in close proximity with stragers for 2 hours.  So the reception of this Gjeilo work is even more encouraging.  I have to say in performance with a good choir he writes some genuinely beautiful and rather inspiring music.  A whole league better than Karl Jenkins who writes in a superficially similar manner but the result is simply banal.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 31, 2022, 10:30:11 AM
I got an email from the fixer for Saturday's concert passing on the thanks of the (very good) choir conductor to the orchestra players.  But of particular interest was the conductor's comment that the feedback from the audience was exceptionally enthusiastic for the Sunrise Mass.  It certainly felt that way - and it was good to be in a large church space with a big and enthusiastic audience.  Post covid here in the UK it is very noticeable that the core CM concert audience (basically old!) is still not keen on sitting in close proximity with stragers for 2 hours.  So the reception of this Gjeilo work is even more encouraging.  I have to say in performance with a good choir he writes some genuinely beautiful and rather inspiring music.  A whole league better than Karl Jenkins who writes in a superficially similar manner but the result is simply banal.
I listened to some of it yesterday.  Perhaps listen to all of it when the sun comes up here...that would be appropriate.   :)

Nice to hear that you had such positive feedback!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Lou Harrison: Third Symphony (1982)

https://youtu.be/27I8YOlRZSM

Though this composer has a reputation as an avant-gardist (and, indeed, some of his works are quite experimental), quite a few of his works are resolutely tonal/modal, this 6-movement symphony among them. And what a magical work it is, beautifully idyllic, life-affirming, and containing some delightfully energetic dance movements, such as the second movement A Reel in Honor of Henry Cowell. Throughout, Harrison's writing for the orchestra, particularly the percussion section with its gamelan influences, is marvelously colorful and imaginative. Anyone who cares about American music needs to hear this (and other works by Harrison, for that matter). It's a crime that this music isn't much better-known!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Two works by Schumann which I hadn't pay much attention to before reaching disc 2 of this excellent complete set:

Impromptus on a Theme by Clara Wieck, Op. 5.

The whole thing is charming but the 4th variation, Ziemlich langsam really blew me away: an Eusebius-like lilting melody full of melancholy and longing.

Toccata in C major, Op. 7

A Florestan-like pianistical tour de force, a romp full of youthful elan and zest.

Though very different in character, these short works encapsulate perfectly Schumann's genius.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Not necessarily blowing me away, but these two operas were truly magnificent:

Schreker: Der Schmied von Gent

Schreker's last opera is full of quirkiness, good humour and a certain irreverence that didn't leave me indifferent at all. For me it has the best music of all of his operas, being continuously hooked from start to finish. I would say it is a masterpiece.

Enescu: Oedipe

I was aware of the comments by many about the greatness of this work, and I confirmed it really is an outstanding work. There is an ethereal quality to some passages that enthralled me, not to mention some mystical choruses providing wonderful atmosphere. I have to say that the first two acts were better than the next two, but that is a minor quibble.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on November 02, 2022, 04:18:24 AM
Two works by Schumann which I hadn't pay much attention to before reaching disc 2 of this excellent complete set:

Impromptus on a Theme by Clara Wieck, Op. 5.

The whole thing is charming but the 4th variation, Ziemlich langsam really blew me away: an Eusebius-like lilting melody full of melancholy and longing.

Toccata in C major, Op. 7

A Florestan-like pianistical tour de force, a romp full of youthful elan and zest.

Though very different in character, these short works encapsulate perfectly Schumann's genius.

Greetings Florestan!

I am most intrigued by the term "Eusebius-like," as the only Eusebius whom I recognize is the early medieval Church historian.  0:)

Many thanks!   And your Inbox for Personal Messages is full!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on November 08, 2022, 08:58:37 AM

Greetings Florestan!

I am most intrigued by the term "Eusebius-like," as the only Eusebius whom I recognize is the early medieval Church historian.  0:)

Many thanks!   

Hi, Cato!

Schumann... Eusebius... Florestan... Master Raro... come on, man, can't believe you really didn't get it.  :o

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on November 10, 2022, 04:38:12 AM
Hi, Cato!

Schumann... Eusebius... Florestan... Master Raro... come on, man, can't believe you really didn't get it.  :o

8)  Ach!  I had forgotten all about that and was locked into following Ancient Greek paths for a solution!   :D

Thanks for the reminder!

And that reminder sent me back to one of Schumann's greatest works, which is not often heard:

https://www.youtube.com/v/cFVSmeVVL6Q&t=11s

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on November 12, 2022, 04:26:10 AM
And that reminder sent me back to one of Schumann's greatest works, which is not often heard:

https://www.youtube.com/v/cFVSmeVVL6Q&t=11s

Schumann's Violin Concerto? For real?  :D :-\

The last time I heard it I couldn't be more disappointed by how weak and plain the music was, only the third movement had gracefulness.

No doubts the meaning of greatness is rather subjective.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky