Top Five Works That Have Touched You The Deepest

Started by Mirror Image, January 09, 2017, 09:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 20, 2017, 04:10:35 AM
The Celtic Symphony is indeed wonderful. It was a great privilege to hear it live in London. I like the 'Church Windows' by Respighi too although 'St Gregory the Great' is my favourite of its movements.

The movement is bombastic (maybe many people do not like that), but it reaches a level of ecstasy quite impressive, that music raises the spirits to anyone. Bantock's work has moved me a lot, such a level of beauty leaves me perplexed. You are very fortunate to be able to listen to it live  8)

Christo

This thread is about autobiography, I guess. Wel then:

Dvořák, Polednice (The Noon Witch)
Vaughan Williams, A Pastoral Symphony
Debussy, La Mer
Respighi, Trittrico botticelliano
Pierné, Divertissements sur un thème pastoral
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 20, 2017, 02:13:39 PM
The movement is bombastic (maybe many people do not like that), but it reaches a level of ecstasy quite impressive, that music raises the spirits to anyone. Bantock's work has moved me a lot, such a level of beauty leaves me perplexed. You are very fortunate to be able to listen to it live  8)
Yes, I am fortunate indeed. The Hebridean and Pagan symphonies are my other favourites by Bantock.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on January 20, 2017, 03:47:04 PM
This thread is about autobiography, I guess. Well then:

Dvořák, Polednice (The Noon Witch)
Vaughan Williams, A Pastoral Symphony
Debussy, La Mer
Respighi, Trittrico botticelliano
Pierné, Divertissements sur un thème pastoral

Great picks, Christo. The only work I need familiarize myself more with from your list is the Pierne.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2017, 07:05:25 AMGreat picks, Christo. The only work I need familiarize myself more with from your list is the Pierne.
I was talking about a 15 years old; first loves that left an everlasting imprint. BTW, there's one performance of the Pierné that beats them all: Jean Martinon's.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Androcles

For me: Bruckner Symphony No. 4 (my introduction to classical music, aged 15 I love the ending), Shostakovich Symphony No. 4, Shostakovich String Quartet No. 3 (somehow both got me thinking about Russia's history when I lived there, reflecting foreboding and personal tragedy, respectively), Vasks Violin Concerto 'Distant Light' (to me, there is something deeply spiritual and hopeful, yet contemporary about this piece) Sibelius Symphony No. 7 (seems to me to stand above and beyond the vagaries of human experience, yet at the same time brings hope).
And, moreover, it is art in its most general and comprehensive form that is here discussed, for the dialogue embraces everything connected with it, from its greatest object, the state, to its least, the embellishment of sensuous existence.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2017, 09:08:38 AM
This is a going to be a difficult poll for some, but the general idea behind it is to list five works that have gone straight to your heart and left an undeniable impression on you. These are works that define your essence.

I'm not sure I agree with that last sentence. Actually, some works that have touched me deepest are against my essence. That's why they trouble me, shake me, sometimes revolt me. I guess we each have our personal definition or understanding of the term "to touch").

In no particular order:

- Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius. Especially in the interpretation of Jon Vickers. A true voyage of cosmic proportions. Contrary to the accepted sniffdom, I love Cardinal Newman's text.

- Mahler: the 9th symphony, provided that the interpretation makes the work come out as defiant, angry, uncomforting, disconsolate. Maderna, Ludwig and Klemperer are good examples, each in their own way.

- Pettersson: the 2nd violin concerto (original version, not the easier on the ear revised one - accept no substitute !). The essence of angst, anger and bitterness.

- Bruckner: the 8th symphony. Whether it's a fast and furious cyclone or a vast and anxious behemoth of a performance, the work's dimensions (never fully encompassed in any single performance) defy understanding. Maybe that's why I have trouble "getting" a 4-movement 9th symphony: it might rival that pinnacle.

- For the last, I'm simply going for a decades old favourite, Vaughan-Williams' A Sea Symphony. Possibly the most arresting opening stanza in all orchestral/choral music. Of course it helps that the Whitman text floors me every time.

Keeping the same very personal definition in mind, I could have added Bach's Chaconne, Wagner's Die Walküre. If I had to choose in Mozart's output, I'd probably go for K.379: the introduction to I makes my jaw drop every time. Not forgetting Sandström's Requiem, an extraordinarily upsetting work.

Madiel

This is going to be based primarily on thinking about which works are the ones where there's a particular emotional reaction to the mere mention of them. In a couple of cases I've forced myself to choose only 1 per composer, with a couple of pieces trying to challenge.

Faure - Piano Quintet No.1
Brahms - Clarinet Trio
Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit
Chopin - Ballade No.4
Rachmaninov - Etudes-Tableaux, op.39
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Overtones

I must add Sibelius' Violin concerto to my picks.
Possibly the single work that contributed the most to my classical music passion back in the days.
I remember being totally overwhelmed by the poetry of the most harrowing violin passages in the first movement.

vandermolen

Quote from: Androcles on January 26, 2017, 11:16:22 AM
For me: Bruckner Symphony No. 4 (my introduction to classical music, aged 15 I love the ending), Shostakovich Symphony No. 4, Shostakovich String Quartet No. 3 (somehow both got me thinking about Russia's history when I lived there, reflecting foreboding and personal tragedy, respectively), Vasks Violin Concerto 'Distant Light' (to me, there is something deeply spiritual and hopeful, yet contemporary about this piece) Sibelius Symphony No. 7 (seems to me to stand above and beyond the vagaries of human experience, yet at the same time brings hope).
Interesting post. The Vasks Symphony 2 I find very moving, especially the ending. I have the Ondine recording with the excellent VC.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).