Alban Berg (1885-1935)

Started by bhodges, August 15, 2007, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on November 17, 2010, 08:26:10 AM
I still remember being mesmerized by Wozzeck (6 LIVE performances in a row) and Lulu (MET broadcast, which I listened to on the radio as I worked in a hotel cleaning rooms. I switched on the radio as soon as I entered each room!)

Too wonderful for words... ;D

--Bruce

springrite

Quote from: bhodges on November 17, 2010, 08:33:02 AM
Too wonderful for words... ;D

--Bruce

I played it so loud and it also worked wonders in getting people in the other rooms to check out in time!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

bhodges

Quote from: springrite on November 17, 2010, 08:34:24 AM
I played it so loud and it also worked wonders in getting people in the other rooms to check out in time!

Now I'm really laughing...would have loved to observe all of this.  ;D

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Like you, Berg is easily my favorite among the Second Vienese School (and beyond). I still remember being mesmerized by Wozzeck (6 LIVE performances in a row) and Lulu (MET broadcast, which I listened to on the radio as I worked in a hotel cleaning rooms. I switched on the radio as soon as I entered each room!).  My favorite work is probably the Chamber concerto, followed closely by the two operas and the VC.

As for books, I have this one, and I think it is good, though I have not read any other books on the composer, so I can't say if it is the best book on Berg). But this bit on the back page of the book may give you an idea:

In this book, published with the approval of Berg's widow, Dr. Carner follows his biography with a close analysis of Berg's works one by one. Dr Carner makes much of the long and fruitful relationships in Vienna and Berlin between Berg and his teacher Arnold Schonberg (1874-1951), adding greatly to our knowledge by extensive quotation from the largely unpublished Berg-Schonberg correspondence.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have not seen this book, so I'll have to check it out. The first work by Berg I heard was his Violin Concerto followed very shortly by Lulu Suite. From here, my mind was blown completely. I then fell in love with his song cycles. I have only listened to Wozzeck once, I really need to revisit it soon. Lately, I've been trying to unwrap the mysteries of Three Pieces For Orchestra which is so complex.

Mirror Image

Time to revive...

One of the most interesting aspects of Berg's music is how really accessible it is, though I do believe some still struggle with the music on this forum. Berg for me represented the Expressionist side of music. Everything is laid-out in front of you in such a thought provoking way. It's almost as if the listener wonders why they're being tormented with one anguished note after another. But this is Berg's style, which lies all in the expression and phrasing of the musical line. It follows a very ordered sequence of events. You can tell where the outbursts are. You can hear how the climax is going to be dissolved as if it evaporates into thin air. It's predictable, but at the same time it's not. It's music you think you've somewhere before, but you've never actually heard a note of it. It's as if you're staring in the mirror and the reflection of yourself is slightly distorted. The music is in a completely different realm of reality, but the emotional pull of the music continues to guide you back only to be taken into this alternate universe yet again.

Did any of that make any sense to anybody?

abidoful

Quote from: James on June 08, 2011, 02:59:53 AM
PIANO SONATA
There are traces of Liszt, and unsurprisingly, of Schoenberg
I've never found any traces of Liszt apart from the most superficial similarities as key and one movement. If those aren't the things you meant, what are they?

TheGSMoeller

Great thread, Berg is phenomenal, I was interested in Wozzeck after seeing Werner Herzog's film of the same subject. I was blown away, the music, melodies and singing sounded so free in it's presentation. It instantly became one of favorite operas, top 5 for sure if you're into lists  ;D

I saw a performance by the Dallas Opera maybe 7-8 years ago, sort of a futuristic, biker-gang setting, very interesting, loved seeing some of the naive audience leaving midway.

I love the Lyric Suite performed by a string quartet, only have heard the Kronos Quartet with Upshaw recording, but such incredibly lovely music. 

[asin]B0000AN4FJ[/asin]

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 08, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
Great thread, Berg is phenomenal, I was interested in Wozzeck after seeing Werner Herzog's film of the same subject. I was blown away, the music, melodies and singing sounded so free in it's presentation. It instantly became one of favorite operas, top 5 for sure if you're into lists  ;D

I saw a performance by the Dallas Opera maybe 7-8 years ago, sort of a futuristic, biker-gang setting, very interesting, loved seeing some of the naive audience leaving midway.

I love the Lyric Suite performed by a string quartet, only have heard the Kronos Quartet with Upshaw recording, but such incredibly lovely music. 

[asin]B0000AN4FJ[/asin]

I love this one too.  I've got to put it on the wish list.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: JetsNut on June 08, 2011, 05:19:36 PM
I love this one too.  I've got to put it on the wish list.

If you don't mind MP3s I know amazon has this for under $6.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 08, 2011, 05:15:55 PMloved seeing some of the naive audience leaving midway.

???

You would think that in today's time Berg's music would be more accessible to people especially considering what happened after Berg, but it's always amusing to hear about people leaving early in a performance. What did they expect? This also tells me that the people that were leaving never had even heard of Berg or haven't done any research on his music. Naive and narrow-minded.

TheGSMoeller

A little snippet from Berlin Phil. video concerts...this one was just uploaded today of Abbado/Lulu Suite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISSTjTveQo

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2011, 07:44:28 AM
You would think that in today's time Berg's music would be more accessible to people especially considering what happened after Berg, but it's always amusing to hear about people leaving early in a performance. What did they expect? This also tells me that the people that were leaving never had even heard of Berg or haven't done any research on his music. Naive and narrow-minded.

Well, if someone doesn't care for Berg, that of itself I don't think naïve or narrow-minded.

But the drama-queen act of shaking the concert hall's dust from your feet . . . bad tone, childish.

abidoful

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2011, 06:41:06 AM
Well, if someone doesn't care for Berg, that of itself I don't think naïve or narrow-minded.

But the drama-queen act of shaking the concert hall's dust from your feet . . . bad tone, childish.

Good to show what you think IMO---perhaps those people left in a moral dismay.

Mirror Image

Quote from: abidoful on June 16, 2011, 04:02:50 AM
Good to show what you think IMO---perhaps those people left in a moral dismay.

But there's a fine line between someone showing a distaste for something and disrespecting the performers on stage because of that distaste. People need to educate themselves BEFORE they go to a concert or, in many cases, there are pre-concert lectures that discuss the works before they're performed which gives the audience a chance to learn about the music. Again, this is BEFORE the concert. If somebody attends an all-Second Viennese School concert, then, more chances than not, people know what to expect. Anyway, I just think it's rude and inconsiderate for an audience member to do this.

Mirror Image

I read somewhere that the premiere of Berg's Altenberg-Lieder caused a riot. I guess this music back in the early 20th Century was as radical as Stravinsky's Rite of Spring perhaps even more so. What's so fascinating is this music today is still challenging audiences. Let me ask this question: when in the last 30 years has a piece of classical music evoke such an outrage that a riot broke out at a premiere?

karlhenning

Well, it would have taken less for Berg to shock the Viennese of his day, than for Stravinsky to shock Parisians.  Then, too, there's the question of whether it was Stravinsky's music, or the shenanigans on stage, which enraged the audience at the première of Le sacre.

AllegroVivace

I still remember being mesmerized by Wozzeck (6 LIVE performances in a row) and Lulu (MET broadcast, which I listened to on the radio as I worked in a hotel cleaning rooms. I switched on the radio as soon as I entered each room!).

I will never forget I read this.  This is a beautiful account of the grandeur and dignity of human spirit.
Richard

Guido

The Altenberg are really hard going I find. Amongst the least sensuous and beautiful of Berg's works. Certainly nothing like Lulu or Wozzeck... Presumably people rate them otherwise they wouldn't be famous? Are they considered to be important in his oeuvre?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2011, 04:43:26 AM
Well, it would have taken less for Berg to shock the Viennese of his day, than for Stravinsky to shock Parisians.  Then, too, there's the question of whether it was Stravinsky's music, or the shenanigans on stage, which enraged the audience at the première of Le sacre.

Rumor has it Camille Saint-Saens stood up during the opening bassoon solo and exclaimed "That is not a bassoon, that is a buffoon!"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Guido on August 31, 2011, 03:24:11 PM
The Altenberg are really hard going I find. Amongst the least sensuous and beautiful of Berg's works. Certainly nothing like Lulu or Wozzeck... Presumably people rate them otherwise they wouldn't be famous? Are they considered to be important in his oeuvre?

I like the Altenberg-Lieder, but then again I'm a sucker for anything Berg wrote for voice and orchestra (i. e. Der Wein, Seven Early Songs, Lulu Suite[/i]).