Main Menu

Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Que on May 26, 2019, 04:46:26 AM

Perhaps someone could explain why there are so many contenders for the leadership of the Tories at this auspicious moment in time?  ???

Because this is what will await the "winner"....

Q

I am not enough immersed in UK politics to recognise those people other than The Boris, but there are only three of them, going by their poses, whom I would trust to do anything more than takes tickets at a movie theater....the lady on the top left looks like she would be good at enforcing the rules in a convent, the gentleman on the far top right would make a good hit man, and the lady to the immediate left of him might make a good city councillor.

God save the Queen (and her kingdom) because the politicians seem totally incapable of doing it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

NikF4

Quote from: JBS on May 26, 2019, 08:49:25 AM
I am not enough immersed in UK politics to recognise those people other than The Boris, but there are only three of them, going by their poses, whom I would trust to do anything more than takes tickets at a movie theater....the lady on the top left looks like she would be good at enforcing the rules in a convent, the gentleman on the far top right would make a good hit man, and the lady to the immediate left of him might make a good city councillor.

God save the Queen (and her kingdom) because the politicians seem totally incapable of doing it.

The woman second from the right is Esther McVey. Twenty years ago her gig was as a TV presenter on a UK breakfast show. Her husband partner is another Tory MP, a charmer named Philip Davies who I imagine has a party piece of Groucho singing 'Whatever it is I'm against it'.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

So, the conservatives got 9% of the EU parliament vote.  ???

Que

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 26, 2019, 08:10:03 PM
So, the conservatives got 9% of the EU parliament vote.  ???

The Tories will want those votes they lost to the Brexit Party back, so I expect them to pick a hard Brexiteer as their new leader.

pjme

Que

A new prime minister intent on no deal Brexit can't be stopped by MPs (Institute for Government)

"It looks like a near impossible task for MPs to stop a prime minister who is determined to leave the EU without a deal. Parliamentary procedure offers no route, and the only apparent way to blocking no deal – a vote of no confidence – would be a massive gamble for Tory MPs.

But a prime minister who wants to leave the EU without a deal would face considerable pressure, both within Parliament and beyond, to change path, and he or she would have to explain how they would govern in the weeks and months after a no deal exit."

Q

Que

Same facts, different conclusion:

MPs can stop no deal. Bercow is right
  (InFacts)

My personal view is that Parliament would have to bring down the government to stop Brexit, but might be too divided to do so....

Q

Que

Tories contemplating suspending parliament to force through a hard Brexit:

Brexit: suspending parliament should not be ruled out, says Dominic Raab

So much for democracy.....  ::)

And who is the only person who could stop a move like that?  ???

Her Majesty the Queen....of all people...

And I think she would indeed oppose such a move.
Going along with sidelining parliament, would be the end of the monarchy.... and of Britain, for that matter.

Q

Que

While British politics is imploding in slow-motion:

The European Banking Authority Leaves London (Forbes)

vandermolen

The other woman is Andrea Leadsome (affectionately known by many as 'Andrea Loathsome'). Last time the Tory Party leadership came up she said that she would be a better PM as she had children unlike Theresa May who would have loved to have children but couldn't. Two days after saying this Andrea Leadsome dropped out of the leadership race as there was such an uproar over her unkind comment. I would actually prefer Boris to her. My favourite is Rory Stewart but he is an outsider. He's the only one who talks sense as far as I'm concerned. He is second from the left on the top row. He was in the army and also walked across Afghanistan which is impressive.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2019, 12:15:54 PM
The other woman is Andrea Leadsome (affectionately known by many as 'Andrea Loathsome'). Last time the Tory Party leadership came up she said that she would be a better PM as she had children unlike Theresa May who would have loved to have children but couldn't. Two days after saying this Andrea Leadsome dropped out of the leadership race as there was such an uproar over her unkind comment. I would actually prefer Boris to her. My favourite is Rory Stewart but he is an outsider. He's the only one who talks sense as far as I'm concerned. He is second from the left on the top row. He was in the army and also walked across Afghanistan which is impressive.

He couldn't find the keys to his tank?

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on June 10, 2019, 12:20:33 PM
He couldn't find the keys to his tank?
I think that was after he left the army  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2019, 12:34:34 PM
I think that was after he left the army  ;D

Someone who can walk across Afghanistan and live to tell about it is a resourceful chap. Maybe he can even survive Parliament. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on June 10, 2019, 12:44:04 PM
Someone who can walk across Afghanistan and live to tell about it is a resourceful chap. Maybe he can even survive Parliament. :)
Yes, who knows?
:)

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2019, 12:15:54 PM
My favourite is Rory Stewart but he is an outsider. He's the only one who talks sense as far as I'm concerned.

The only realist/honest one of the bunch!
I get the impression that doesn't stand much chance - most people prefer to vote for fairy tales...  ::)

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Que on June 10, 2019, 10:03:03 PM
The only realist/honest one of the bunch!
I get the impression that doesn't stand much chance - most people prefer to vote for fairy tales...  ::)

Q
I agree.

Christo

Quote from: Que on May 26, 2019, 04:46:26 AM
Because this is what will await the "winner"....

Q
The very French guillotine was, of course, never introduced in the UK; it was done by hanging (so I agree a guillotine would be the most fitting punishment).  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Christo on June 11, 2019, 05:07:48 AM
The very French guillotine was, of course, never introduced in the UK; it was done by hanging (so I agree a guillotine would be the most fitting punishment).  :D
What about the Halifax Gibbet?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Christo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 11, 2019, 05:58:27 AM
What about the Halifax Gibbet?
A good one - my blunt statement was of course crying for falsification, but still: this early modern construction "seems to have been unique in England" and predated the guillotine by a few centuries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Gibbet.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Christo on June 11, 2019, 05:07:48 AM

Fitting would be the little hill besides the Tower of London where enemies of the state were traditionally hanged, no?