Brexit

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2017, 10:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on July 14, 2020, 10:20:03 AM
Another little nail in the coffin ..

It's seemed for some while that the UK government was not serious about looking for an agreement, and was only going through the motions of doing so, for appearances sake, to provide fodder for the inevitable disingenuous explanations ('we tried, the EU inflexible' blah, blah).
More evidence they weren't serious already came in June, when the UK government refused any extension to the Brexit transition period. This meant that Johnson, in his usual duplicitous way, could now leave the clock to deliver the final coup de grace of a no-deal Brexit, claiming to have worked until the last moment to avoid it.

We're going to be diving from a place of great weakness, into a huge and risky unknown, with a vacuous non-leader at the helm. What could possibly go wrong?  ::)

I very much hope luck is on our side, because competence and clear-sightedness of the path ahead in the upper echelons of this government, seem about as plentiful as coronavirus vaccines.
I completely agree with this analysis. Johnson wants to be seen as the PM who lead us, like Moses, to the promised land of 'Global Britain'. Instead of that I suspect he will be seen as an incompetent Little Englander who failed to deal adequately with the Coronavirus pandemic, blamed everyone other than himself, and is ultimately responsible for the needless deaths of thousands of elderly people in care homes plus medical and care home staff who were not properly equipped to do their job safely. I am not a Labour supporter, especially when Jeremy Corbyn was in power and am, by nature, Liberal in my beliefs but I would much rather have Kier Starmer as Prime Minister or, even better, Jacinda Ardern.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on July 14, 2020, 10:29:07 AMI suspect he [Johnson] will be seen as an incompetent Little Englander

I wonder if there are really many people left, even in his own camp, who don't already see him this way.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 14, 2020, 10:29:07 AM
I am not a Labour supporter, especially when Jeremy Corbyn was in power and am, by nature, Liberal in my beliefs but I would much rather have Kier Starmer as Prime Minister or, even better, Jacinda Ardern.

I started off very enthused by Corbyn's arrival, I thought he might bring about real changes for good. I became quickly disillusioned however and ultimately found him a shifty and very ineffective figure.
If the Liberals ever really got their act together, I feel they could be a very positive force in British politics.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on July 14, 2020, 11:00:27 AM
I wonder if there are really many people left, even in his own camp, who don't already see him this way.

I started off very enthused by Corbyn's arrival, I thought he might bring about real changes for good. I became quickly disillusioned however and ultimately found him a shifty and very ineffective figure.
If the Liberals ever really got their act together, I feel they could be a very positive force in British politics.
I'd like to think so too - there is a need for such a force in British politics. I was also very disillusioned by Corbyn. In the end I just didn't think that he was very bright.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 14, 2020, 10:29:07 AM
I completely agree with this analysis. Johnson wants to be seen as the PM who lead us, like Moses, to the promised land of 'Global Britain'. Instead of that I suspect he will be seen as an incompetent Little Englander who failed to deal adequately with the Coronavirus pandemic, blamed everyone other than himself, and is ultimately responsible for the needless deaths of thousands of elderly people in care homes plus medical and care home staff who were not properly equipped to do their job safely. I am not a Labour supporter, especially when Jeremy Corbyn was in power and am, by nature, Liberal in my beliefs but I would much rather have Kier Starmer as Prime Minister or, even better, Jacinda Ardern.

Never afraid to admit my ignorance I had to google Jacinda Ardern. You are right, a top politician with a human touch. I would be the last person to advise the Labour party but they need a female leader as long as it isn't Annaliese Dodds. They dodged a bullet with leftie Long-Bailey but I have been impressed by Angela Rayner so far. A future leader?

Same with the LibDems. Swinson was a disaster, but Layla Moran could turn the party around if she is elected and I think she will. A woman to watch, maybe.

Now, as for Johnson..... ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 15, 2020, 08:47:43 AM
Never afraid to admit my ignorance I had to google Jacinda Ardern. You are right, a top politician with a human touch. I would be the last person to advise the Labour party but they need a female leader as long as it isn't Annaliese Dodds. They dodged a bullet with leftie Long-Bailey but I have been impressed by Angela Rayner so far. A future leader?

Same with the LibDems. Swinson was a disaster, but Layla Moran could turn the party around if she is elected and I think she will. A woman to watch, maybe.

Now, as for Johnson..... ;)

Very much agree about Angela Rayner - an impressive MP. Layla Moran was at the school that I taught at - she looked very different then. I may have taught her but can't remember. I think that she's impressive as well. As I'm a local Liberal member I participated in an online Zoom conference with her as part of her leadership bid a couple of weeks ago. Swinson impressed me at first but the unilateral rejection of the Referendum result was a disaster. I voted for her as leader  ::)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2020, 02:00:06 PM
Very much agree about Angela Rayner - an impressive MP. Layla Moran was at the school that I taught at - she looked very different then. I may have taught her but can't remember. I think that she's impressive as well. As I'm a local Liberal member I participated in an online Zoom conference with her as part of her leadership bid a couple of weeks ago. Swinson impressed me at first but the unilateral rejection of the Referendum result was a disaster. I voted for her as leader  ::)

Impressed you are involved in local politics, Jeffrey. Full of admiration for contributors to the cause of whatever party rather then keyboard warriors who shout the loudest. I was alerted to Moran by the twice a week "For The Many" political podcast I subscribe to which is hosted by Ian Dale and the ex-Home Secretary in the Blair Government, Jacqui Smith. Dale is from the right and Smith left obviously, but they get on and neither are entrenched in their views.

I must admit I thought Swinson would clean up votes with her Brexit strategy. I still cannot quite understand why she didn't although the policy unconstitutional . Perhaps the reason of failure was Swinson herself. Politics is cruel.     
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 16, 2020, 12:47:56 AM
Impressed you are involved in local politics, Jeffrey. Full of admiration for contributors to the cause of whatever party rather then keyboard warriors who shout the loudest. I was alerted to Moran by the twice a week "For The Many" political podcast I subscribe to which is hosted by Ian Dale and the ex-Home Secretary in the Blair Government, Jacqui Smith. Dale is from the right and Smith left obviously, but they get on and neither are entrenched in their views.

I must admit I thought Swinson would clean up votes with her Brexit strategy. I still cannot quite understand why she didn't although the policy unconstitutional . Perhaps the reason of failure was Swinson herself. Politics is cruel.   
I'm not that involved to be honest Lol, but joined the party after the Referendum and turn up to meetings every now and again. Dale and Smith are good value - I enjoy those kind of programmes. I thought that Swinson was a breath of fresh air but then it all went horribly wrong. I felt very sorry that she lost her seat in parliament.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 16, 2020, 12:54:16 AM
I'm not that involved to be honest Lol, but joined the party after the Referendum and turn up to meetings every now and again. Dale and Smith are good value - I enjoy those kind of programmes. I thought that Swinson was a breath of fresh air but then it all went horribly wrong. I felt very sorry that she lost her seat in parliament.

Will be with her for ever. Still, made Nicola Sturgeon happy. Her reaction in my mind is only bettered by this https://youtu.be/NiC679ASOyA

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2020, 02:00:06 PM
Layla Moran was at the school that I taught at - she looked very different then. I may have taught her but can't remember. I think that she's impressive as well.
I had also thought highly of Layla Moran until I saw her walking out with Jo Swinson in support of the policy of rejecting the Referendum result. I'm aware of the compromises necessary in politics, but it still really surprised me she did.
I haven't given her much thought since then, though she's certainly talented, and none of us is above making misjudgements, particularly in such heated environs as the pre-election Brexit debate, so a reconciliation possible for me I guess. I'm sure she'll be immensely relieved ..

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2020, 02:00:06 PMSwinson impressed me at first but the unilateral rejection of the Referendum result was a disaster. I voted for her as leader  ::)

I must admit I never found Jo Swinson persuasive as a political figure, though she did seem a sincere and likeable person.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 16, 2020, 07:25:37 AM
Will be with her for ever. Still, made Nicola Sturgeon happy. Her reaction in my mind is only bettered by this https://youtu.be/NiC679ASOyA

Yes, Delia's, presumably drunken, appearance is a great classic. Yes, Sturgeon's characteristically ungracious piece of schadenfreude reflected badly on her.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on July 16, 2020, 09:24:23 AM
I had also thought highly of Layla Moran until I saw her walking out with Jo Swinson in support of the policy of rejecting the Referendum result. I'm aware of the compromises necessary in politics, but it still really surprised me she did.
I haven't given her much thought since then, though she's certainly talented, and none of us is above making misjudgements, particularly in such heated environs as the pre-election Brexit debate, so a reconciliation possible for me I guess. I'm sure she'll be immensely relieved ..

I must admit I never found Jo Swinson persuasive as a political figure, though she did seem a sincere and likeable person.
She probably would be pleased as she's on the Liberal leadership campaign trail at the moment  :)
I agree, in retrospect, with your Jo Swinson comments. Voting for her as Liberal leader was the only time in my life that I've ever voted for something or someone who was actually elected - and look what happened there!

accmacmus

accmacmus

Irons

Que

Quote from: accmacmus on August 15, 2020, 05:16:26 AM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/miche-l-martin-upbeat-about-brexit-trade-deal-after-meeting-boris-johnson-cxhv22j9x
«Micheál Martin upbeat about Brexit trade deal after meeting Boris Johnson»

Let's hope.

Quote from: Irons on August 15, 2020, 06:11:28 AM
I hope so too.

Johnson doesn't have much choice, so a deal is definitely in the cards.

That's the good news....

The bad news is that the deal will be limited in scope and ambition, which means the shock to the UK economy from January 1st will still be considerable.

Lulled to sleep by four years of much talk and little consequence, the British public is in for a rude awakening...

Q

Irons

Quote from: Que on August 15, 2020, 09:51:19 AM
Johnson doesn't have much choice, so a deal is definitely in the cards.

That's the good news....

The bad news is that the deal will be limited in scope and ambition, which means the shock to the UK economy from January 1st will still be considerable.

Lulled to sleep by four years of much talk and little consequence, the British public is in for a rude awakening...

Q

I hope your leaders are more conciliatory and balanced in their views. A long shot, I know.

Que

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2020, 12:51:36 AM
I hope your leaders are more conciliatory and balanced in their views. A long shot, I know.

I think it's not in their long term interest to take advantage of the situation.
Countries like the Netherlands, Denmark and even Germany have always advocated a reconciliatory approach.

It sounds trivial, but politically I think fisheries will be a pivotal topic.
A deal that puts thousands of Dutch, Danish, Flemish and French fishermen out of work, would be politically impossible to sell in the EU...

Q

steve ridgway

Quote from: Que on August 16, 2020, 02:17:05 AM
It sounds trivial, but politically I think fisheries will be a pivotal topic.
A deal that puts thousands of Dutch, Danish, Flemish and French fishermen out of work, would be politically impossible to sell in the EU...

Yes, I remember the Cod War with Iceland in the 1970s and the UK fishing fleet has suffered a lot from overfishing and quotas. Cheaper fish would be great; we eat a lot, had large cod and chips yesterday, rollmop herring in our picnic this morning, often have salmon and sardines :P.

Irons

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 16, 2020, 05:04:31 AM
Yes, I remember the Cod War with Iceland in the 1970s and the UK fishing fleet has suffered a lot from overfishing and quotas. Cheaper fish would be great; we eat a lot, had large cod and chips yesterday, rollmop herring in our picnic this morning, often have salmon and sardines :P.

Funnily enough so did I - two large cod and one large chips (sharing with missus), lovely. Then I read in ST this morning that Britain is 33rd in the WHO obesity table and France is 87th. This is attributed to olives over pasty, light beer over dark beer and rosé and pastis. But most of all it's simple: It's fish and chips for us and the French have a seafood platter of oysters, mussels, whelks, sea urchins and razor clams. Mind you the same article points out French TV is rubbish and PSG aside French football is at the level of Scottish second division.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2020, 06:06:45 AM
French TV is rubbish

TV5 is not that bad. Arte is very good (a Franco-German venture, granted, but still...). And of course there is always Mezzo.

Beside BBC World (which I find no different than any number of similar channels) I haven't watched any British TV.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy