Your Favorite 50-Year-Period in Music History

Started by Florestan, May 18, 2017, 01:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodogen

As a newbie ignoramus, this was an interesting little exercise for me. After some gnashing of teeth I settled on 1907-1957. 1907 starts the period with Scriabin's Piano Sonata No.5 and 1957 gives me Vaughan William's Symphony No.9. So I get the later sonatas and all the symphonies, and a goodly chunk of Ravel.
I am content. I shall have to see what else this time period gives me. 🙂

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on May 18, 2017, 01:23:26 AM
1801 -1850

If hardpressed, I could replace that with 1701-1750, 1780-1830 (with a good deal of overlapping), or 1850-1900, or even 1880-1930. All these periods contain much of the music I like.

Now that I think of it, 90% of the music I listen to was composed within the 1700 - 1950 timeframe, give and take a decade or two. Maybe I should have asked Your Favorite Quarter Millenium:D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

71 dB

Quote from: Ken B on May 20, 2017, 03:40:12 PM
One of my great discoveries of recent years is Purcell.

Purcell is great.  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ten thumbs

Difficult to pin down but probably 1830-1880, a period that contains a great deal of under-appreciated music.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Madiel

Hmm.

For now I'm going to say 1875-1924, as it gets me all of Dvorak's good stuff up until the end of Faure, while picking up a decent amount of Brahms, the most crucial Ravel, scrapes in Sibelius' 7th symphony... we may need to argue about Nielsen's 6th.

And of course Debussy, early Stravinsky, Mahler is quite interesting so I'll take it, a swathe of Rachmaninov though not the BEST stuff, similarly with Frank Bridge... in fact there's a bit of material from the 1930s I'll be sad to lose. But my concern on the other end is losing too much Brahms.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2017, 03:02:46 PM
Really close to my 1878-1927.

Sarge

Yes, I saw yours and very nearly just copied it. But then thought I better try to think it through myself and came up with my Dvorak-Faure boundary.

EDIT: Plus I get the premiere of Brahms' 1st symphony and a couple of extra chamber works!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ørfeo on May 29, 2017, 03:05:03 PM
Yes, I saw yours and very nearly just copied it. But then thought I better try to think it through myself and came up with my Dvorak-Faure boundary.

I initially thought along your lines. Going a few years earlier, I could have included more Dvorak (like 4 and 5, symphonies I dearly love)...but would have missed Brian's Gothic, which would have been intolerable  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Daverz

vandermolen

1908-1958

Unfortunately excludes Tchaikovsky's Pathetique and Bruckner's 9th but allows for Mahler's 9th at one end and VW's 9th at the other and all Miaskovsky, Bax etcetera   :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 01, 2017, 09:04:23 PM1908-1958

Unfortunately excludes Tchaikovsky's Pathetique and Bruckner's 9th but allows for Mahler's 9th at one end and VW's 9th at the other and all Miaskovsky, Bax etcetera   :)
That's it: including about the whole creative span of Vaughan Williams (1872-1958).  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

bwv 1080

1942-1992

gets the end of Bartok and Schoenberg;s output, all of post-war modernism and a good chunk of Ferneyhough and Schnittke

or 1820-1870

late Beethoven, all the early Romantics plus some of Brahms and Wagner