Royal Wedding.

Started by vandermolen, November 28, 2017, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I think one of the main problems and root causes of the scandals in the BRitish royalty is the longevity of the Queen. I think she should have abdicated long, long ago in favor of Charles and he in turn should have abdicated in favor of William.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Probably right. Her children and grandchildren are probably not prime examples of royalty (I mean royal families seldom came to power by being particularly inteligent and empatic, and inbreeding certainly didn't help), but the longer they go without assuming office, the more rot sets in.

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2021, 02:01:25 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath.
The sad fact is that if Fridtjof Nansen had been willing, Norway would have been a republic. When he said no, they had to scourge the unemployment queues and ended up with an out of work Danish prince.

That said; I hold quite a bit of respect for the Norwegian royalty as persons. We could have done far worse. I'm just as concerned about the "gilded cage" these persons are born into, and the sad fact that when somebody is obviously unfit, there are no exits.

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2021, 01:52:54 AM
I think it's a bad-taste publicity stunt. If they really wanted to have nothing to do with the Royal Family anymore they would have kept a low profile and lived their life in tranquility. What they did instead was throwing bombs all around them. I'm sure that the RF is dysfunctional but a spoiled brat and an attention seeking lass are not going to fix it.

That's a good point.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Sitting in a multimillion dollar interview and complaining about how badly they've been treatedm just confirms my general opinion that being born into that much wealth and unearned privileges arent't good for any person.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2021, 02:34:30 AM
Probably right. Her children and grandchildren are probably not prime examples of royalty (I mean royal families seldom came to power by being particularly inteligent and empatic, and inbreeding certainly didn't help), but the longer they go without assuming office, the more rot sets in.

Exactly.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2021, 03:03:32 AM
Sitting in a multimillion dollar interview and complaining about how badly they've been treatedm just confirms my general opinion that being born into that much wealth and unearned privileges arent't good for any person.

This, too.

MusicTurner

Sitting in a multimillion dollar interview and complaining about how badly they've been treated just confirms my general opinion that being born into that much wealth and unearned privileges arent't good for any person.

I'd tend to go along with this ... can't say that these people seem particularly interesting either, and they live in a different sphere from ours.

milk

They should thank their lucky stars they got out. I live in Japan where I think it's probably even worse and I doubt they'd let you out, much less marry who you want.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2021, 02:38:26 AM
The sad fact is that if Fridtjof Nansen had been willing, Norway would have been a republic. When he said no, they had to scourge the unemployment queues and ended up with an out of work Danish prince.

Imo, a comstitutional monarchy with a purely  ceremonial king/queen is a republic in all but name and has none of the latter's problems.

QuoteThat said; I hold quite a bit of respect for the Norwegian royalty as persons. We could have done far worse. I'm just as concerned about the "gilded cage" these persons are born into, and the sad fact that when somebody is obviously unfit, there are no exits.

What do you mean by "obviously unfit"?

The new erato

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2021, 03:57:48 AM
Charles for example.

How and why is Charles "obviously unfit" for being king?

vandermolen

I've always felt rather sympathetic to Charles. The big disaster for him was not marrying Camilla in the first place. I suspect that he'll be a good and dutiful King.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 09, 2021, 04:30:47 AM
I've always felt rather sympathetic to Charles. The big disaster for him was not marrying Camilla in the first place. I suspect that he'll be a good and dutiful King.

My thoughts exactly. He has his flaws and sins --- just like we all have --- but I see nothing, absolutely nothing at all in his public behavior or personal life that would make him "obviously unfit" for the office.

Imo the only case of obvious unfitness is a clinically certified mental disease, but I'm sure both UK and Norway (or any other constitutional monarchy for that matter) have the constitutional and legal mechanisms to deal with such a situation.

steve ridgway

Yes, Charles and William look like they'll stick to the rules.

pjme

I suspect that he'll be a good and dutiful King.

But does Great Britain really need that?

The new erato

Emotionally mature would do it for a king. The Diana debacle clearly shows that he isn't. Stick to the rules don't suffice and in that case he would still be married to Diana. It's the bending of the rules that shows a Human side that makes the Norwegian royalty loved.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2021, 04:59:28 AM
Emotionally mature would do it for a king. The Diana debacle clearly shows that he isn't.

I really don't get your point. Charles was pressured into marrying Diana and she was pressured into marrying him. They didn't get along well and eventually separated. Happens everywhere, all the time. What debacle are you talking about?

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2021, 05:07:36 AM
I really don't get your point. Charles was pressured into marrying Diana and she was pressured into marrying him. They didn't get along well and eventually separated. Happens everywhere, all the time. What debacle are you talking about?
I agree - they were both victims.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 09, 2021, 05:42:52 AM
I agree - they were both victims.

Not least of the tabloid press.