Author Topic: Thirty three and a third.  (Read 56726 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: Thirty three and a third.
« Reply #480 on: May 02, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »
Quiet City is a great work Lol.
The LP features 'Preamble to a Solemn Occasion', 'Orchestral Variations' and my favourite the declamatory 'Symphonic Ode'.
I also like the Red Pony film score, The Tender Land, Orchestral Suite, Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, Third Symphony and nearly everything I've ever heard by Copland.

I must get hold of a copy, Jeffrey. Makes a change from your excellent CD recommendations. ;D Talking of which, the Bloch has finally arrived.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2020, 06:02:37 AM »
There has been a few 45 rpm recordings released of classic material which I have ignored in the past although they claim superior sound. I must admit this 45 rpm of Goossens conducting "Symphonie Fantastique" is spine tingling good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhEnkciQEY&t=479s
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #482 on: May 12, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »
I must get hold of a copy, Jeffrey. Makes a change from your excellent CD recommendations. ;D Talking of which, the Bloch has finally arrived.
Yes, I think you'd enjoy that Copland LP Lol. Hope you enjoy the Bloch CD as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »
Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quartet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\ 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:07:29 AM by Irons »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2020, 07:02:38 AM »
Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quintet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\

I would have gone the same way. Enjoy it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2020, 07:08:16 AM »
I would have gone the same way. Enjoy it.

Good to know. :)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quartet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\
Love the Harp Quintet. My favourite Bax chamber work alongside the Piano Quintet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #487 on: May 23, 2020, 05:23:13 AM »
Love the Harp Quintet. My favourite Bax chamber work alongside the Piano Quintet.

Oh Jeffrey, I need a brain transplant! I purchased this thinking it was the Quintet you recommended. It doesn't end there though! Putting the LP away I find I already own a copy, again in mint condition. ::)

If anyone one can give the LP of Bax above a good home, PM me, and I will pop it in the post.