Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 06, 2022, 11:02:27 AM
Thanks PD. $75 is a "meaty" price, I paid 9 quid. I also have another release from the same series,  will post an image of that and liner notes from Bach in the morning. I was unaware Hellfer was a pupil of Casadesus.
Yeah, I thought that seemed like a crazy price (I don't know what others were selling it for); I just linked to it because there was a a photo showing the liner notes.

And, ah the power of googling!  How to become an instant expert (lol, no really, of course); I didn't recognize the name.  :-[  Looks like some works were dedicated to him and that he made some recordings (in addition to performing) too.  :)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Helffer

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Cross posts from the Classical Music Listening Thread

Russian Rarities:

This album features the following works:

Gliere: Concerto for Harp and Orchestra Op. 74 This is a fine, substantial work and it is very well presented here.
Gliere: Concerto For Coloratura and Orchestra, Op. 82 This is, inherently, a fine work but, for me, it would have been better served by setting it to words. I am not a fan of vocalise in any genre.
Stravinsky: Pastorale This is, once again, a vocalise work. It is, inherently, a fine piece of music.
Cui: Ici Bas This is a short but atmospheric and dramatic song.
Gretchaninov: Lullaby I like this song and it is well presented here.

Toscanini:

The following works are features on this LP:

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a This is a terrific performance despite sub standard sonics.
Rossini: Barber of Seville - Overture This is a very fine, animated performance of this Overture.
Mozart: Symphony No. 36 [Haffner] This is a sonically challenged but absolutely terrific presentation of this wonderful work.
Mendelssohn: Scherzo from "Midsummer Night's Dream" This is fast but wonderfully smooth and electrically charged.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 07, 2022, 12:55:07 PM
Cross posts from the Classical Music Listening Thread

Russian Rarities:

This album features the following works:

Gliere: Concerto for Harp and Orchestra Op. 74 This is a fine, substantial work and it is very well presented here.
Gliere: Concerto For Coloratura and Orchestra, Op. 82 This is, inherently, a fine work but, for me, it would have been better served by setting it to words. I am not a fan of vocalise in any genre.
Stravinsky: Pastorale This is, once again, a vocalise work. It is, inherently, a fine piece of music.
Cui: Ici Bas This is a short but atmospheric and dramatic song.
Gretchaninov: Lullaby I like this song and it is well presented here.

Toscanini:

The following works are features on this LP:

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a This is a terrific performance despite sub standard sonics.
Rossini: Barber of Seville - Overture This is a very fine, animated performance of this Overture.
Mozart: Symphony No. 36 [Haffner] This is a sonically challenged but absolutely terrific presentation of this wonderful work.
Mendelssohn: Scherzo from "Midsummer Night's Dream" This is fast but wonderfully smooth and electrically charged.
Interesting.  I've never seen that album before.  How is Joan in that repertoire?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:48:35 AM
Yeah, I thought that seemed like a crazy price (I don't know what others were selling it for); I just linked to it because there was a a photo showing the liner notes.

And, ah the power of googling!  How to become an instant expert (lol, no really, of course); I didn't recognize the name.  :-[  Looks like some works were dedicated to him and that he made some recordings (in addition to performing) too.  :)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Helffer

PD

Claude Helffer made many recordings during the vinyl era. Strong on French composers but his repertoire spread far beyond that including Schoenberg.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:07:39 PM
Interesting.  I've never seen that album before.  How is Joan in that repertoire?

PD

Stepping up for hubby. :-*
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:48:35 AM

PD

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2022, 02:31:32 AM
Claude Helffer made many recordings during the vinyl era. Strong on French composers but his repertoire spread far beyond that including Schoenberg.
Claude Helffer is one of my very favourite pianists ever. Very strong in 20th century (mainly French) repertoire, but for instance his Albéniz Iberia is top-notch (one of my preferred recordings of that work). Sadly. many of his recordings were either never transferred to CD or, if so, in limited pressings hat now are OOP and difficult to find.

It's barely legible on the cover Irons posted, but those Bartók and Prokofiev concertos are conducted by none other than Bruno Maderna!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2022, 02:31:32 AM
Thanks for the photo.  What label is that?  I'm having a hard time reading it....something Classique.

Quote from: ritter on September 08, 2022, 02:46:51 AM
Claude Helffer is one of my very favourite pianists ever. Very strong on 20th century (many French) repertoire, bit for Instance his Albéniz Iberia is top-notch (one of my preferred recordings of that work). Sadly. many of his recordings were either never transferred to CD or, if so, in limited pressings hat now are OOP and difficult to find.

It's barely legible on the cover Irons posted, but those Bartók and Prokofiev concertos are conducted y none other than Bruno Maderna!
Interesting!  I'll have to keep an eye out for them.  And yet another new-to-me name:  Bruno Maderna!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: ritter on September 08, 2022, 02:46:51 AM
Claude Helffer is one of my very favourite pianists ever. Very strong in 20th century (mainly French) repertoire, but for instance his Albéniz Iberia is top-notch (one of my preferred recordings of that work). Sadly. many of his recordings were either never transferred to CD or, if so, in limited pressings hat now are OOP and difficult to find.

It's barely legible on the cover Irons posted, but those Bartók and Prokofiev concertos are conducted by none other than Bruno Maderna!

I was unaware that many Helffer's recordings unavailable on CD. A shame. I have a fair few but none sadly of Spanish repertoire. Below I have pulled two from my shelves.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2022, 05:30:19 AM
Thanks for the photo.  What label is that?  I'm having a hard time reading it....something Classique.
Interesting!  I'll have to keep an eye out for them.  And yet another new-to-me name:  Bruno Maderna!

PD

Festival Classique a French label, obviously. I know next to nothing about them but think they were heavily into re-releases as an extensive catalogue of who's who in French artists.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2022, 08:02:59 AM
Festival Classique a French label, obviously. I know next to nothing about them but think they were heavily into re-releases as an extensive catalogue of who's who in French artists.
I did a bit of looking on Discogs' website.  If accurate, your copy was released in 1977.  I see several listings of it from 1971 by Guilde International du Disque.

Guilde Internationale du Disque is the local French subsidiary of the Musical Masterpiece Society label, founded in 1953, operated mainly by correspondence, with the first subscription series in 1954, but also through a ~25 retail outlets in the country, with the last one closing in the early 80s.
Merged in 1986 with Edition Atlas.

I'm not seeing any other listings for those works on their website.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:07:39 PM

PD

I am no expert, PD, but I found little to complain of.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2022, 07:56:28 AM
I was unaware that many Helffer's recordings unavailable on CD. A shame. I have a fair few but none sadly of Spanish repertoire. Below I have pulled two from my shelves.

I have the Ravel LP box (Harmonia Mundi) and some contemporary stuff with Helffer, but never saw the Debussy set. Interesting. The Schoenberg can sometimes be seen here.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 09, 2022, 03:20:23 AM
I have the Ravel LP box (Harmonia Mundi) and some contemporary stuff with Helffer, but never saw the Debussy set. Interesting. The Schoenberg can sometimes be seen here.
How do you like the Ravel MT?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 09, 2022, 04:25:31 AM
yHow do you like the Ravel MT?

PD

Generally, I haven't found him extremely spectacular there; I did a check now of the Alborada (6:30), and even though it is quite light in the playing at times, it doesn't have the bouncing quality and superbly phrased, varied accents heard for example with Lipatti. There were some passages in the slower sections that became interesting, however; and the next piece of Miroirs, the Vallee des Cloches (5:24), also had more atmosphere. The set has a whole pamphlet on Ravel's piano works, 14 pages and several chapters, dealing with different aspects, written in French by Helffer himself, in 1970. I can provide a copy, if someone is interested. As regards how to play Ravel, Helffer uses a lot of the common words - a certain objectivity in the style, clock-mechanisms, yet also detailed, requested expressivity and pastiches of romanticism; but he doesn't really say anything radical.

However, overall, it's probably not in the top selection for me.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 09, 2022, 10:04:54 AM
Generally, I haven't found him extremely spectacular there; I did a check now of the Alborado (6:30), and even though it is quite light in the playing at times, it doesn't have the bouncing quality and superbly phrased, varied accents heard for example with Lipatti. There were some passages in the slower sections that became interesting, however; and the next piece of Miroirs, the Vallee des Cloches (5:24), also had more atmosphere. The set has a whole pamphlet on Ravel's piano works, 14 pages and several chapters, dealing with different aspects, written in French by Helffer himself, in 1970. I can provide a copy, if someone is interested. As regards how to play Ravel, Helffer uses a lot of the common words - a certain objectivity in the style, clock-mechanisms, yet also detailed, requested expressivity and pastiches of romanticism; but he doesn't really say anything radical.

However, overall, it's probably not in the top selection for me.
Thank you for your detailed review!  That was very kind of you.  :)

I'll see whether or not I can find some samples on youtube....again, thanks.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 12, 2022, 03:16:03 AM
Spinning: Brahms.

Those both look like yummy albums.  :)  How do you like the sound on the Philips one?  And guessing that it was pressed in the Netherlands?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2022, 03:44:42 AM
Those both look like yummy albums.  :)  How do you like the sound on the Philips one?  And guessing that it was pressed in the Netherlands?

PD

Actually UK pressing PG (although the cover was printed in Holland). Numbered SAL 6500 137, I was under the impression for some time that SAL signifies a UK pressing but someone far more knowledgeable then me said SAL pressings can come out from Holland. Record companies never make it easy! As you can see the label clearly (not so clearly, rubbish photo!) states "Made in England" but more often then not no such information is given with this label. After years of handling Philips records I think I can accurately come up with the correct country of pressing without label informed.

I like Phillips sound very much, warm but detailed. Ideal for Brahms. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 12, 2022, 08:32:53 AM
Actually UK pressing PG (although the cover was printed in Holland). Numbered SAL 6500 137, I was under the impression for some time that SAL signifies a UK pressing but someone far more knowledgeable then me said SAL pressings can come out from Holland. Record companies never make it easy! As you can see the label clearly (not so clearly, rubbish photo!) states "Made in England" but more often then not no such information is given with this label. After years of handling Philips records I think I can accurately come up with the correct country of pressing without label informed.

I like Phillips sound very much, warm but detailed. Ideal for Brahms.
Nice!  And thanks for the info.  :)

Managing to listen to some music (albeit not perfectly) whilst doing some KP duties.  Too much "stuff" in the kitchen!  That and doing things like washing off and spinning dry some lettuce that I had purchased yesterday; a huge and glorious head of lettuce.  Not certain of the exact variety, but it looks something like this:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2022, 09:19:02 AM
Nice!  And thanks for the info.  :)

Managing to listen to some music (albeit not perfectly) whilst doing some KP duties.  Too much "stuff" in the kitchen!  That and doing things like washing off and spinning dry some lettuce that I had purchased yesterday; a huge and glorious head of lettuce.  Not certain of the exact variety, but it looks something like this:

PD

Salad for me too. Wife at an Elvis tribute concert and salad about as far my cookery skills take me!