Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Bliss: Violin Concerto.

A fine recording from 1955 at Kingsway Hall. The Ace of Clubs issue uses 1969 matrices which produce clear dynamic sound.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

I don't usually buy LPs but two (one boxed set) arrived today. I'm just playing Howard Hanson's 'Sinfonia Sacra' Symphony No.5 and I'm most impressed by the immediacy of the sound, even on my cheapo Ion record player with built in speakers. It is a Mercury LP and seems in remarkably good condition in view of its age:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 05:39:58 AM
I don't usually buy LPs but two (one boxed set) arrived today. I'm just playing Howard Hanson's 'Sinfonia Sacra' Symphony No.5 and I'm most impressed by the immediacy of the sound, even on my cheapo Ion record player with built in speakers. It is a Mercury LP and seems in remarkably good condition in view of its age:
You've given in to the power of The Force, Luke....er "Jeffrey".  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 01, 2022, 11:56:22 PM

A fine recording from 1955 at Kingsway Hall. The Ace of Clubs issue uses 1969 matrices which produce clear dynamic sound.
I'll have to check online to see whether or not I can find a recording of that to sample as I don't know it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 02, 2022, 05:46:15 AM
You've given in to the power of The Force, Luke....er "Jeffrey".  :)

PD

HAHA  ;D I think that it's more likely the influence of your good self and Lol!

PS I'm now playing Samuel Barber's Symphony No.1 on the same LP - also a fabulous performance and immediate recording - am most impressed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 01, 2022, 11:56:22 PM

Found a recording on youtube uploaded by Addiodelpassato:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apagJNE7nHQ

Am enjoying it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

This is how I originally encountered it:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 06:55:12 AM
This is how I originally encountered it:

Ah!  That explains where that picture on youtube (minus the details) came from! lol

Really enjoyed the work and Campoli's performance!  Don't recall of hearing of Alfredo Campoli before now.  Wow!  And the youtube upload comes across great too.  Very happy that I listened to it.  :)  And thanks Lol for mentioning this recording!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 02, 2022, 07:19:15 AM
Ah!  That explains where that picture on youtube (minus the details) came from! lol

Really enjoyed the work and Campoli's performance!  Don't recall of hearing of Alfredo Campoli before now.  Wow!  And the youtube upload comes across great too.  Very happy that I listened to it.  :)  And thanks Lol for mentioning this recording!

PD

I was of the 'Decca Eclipse' LP generation which replaced 'Ace of Clubs' (Mono) and 'Ace of Diamonds' (Stereo) LPs.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 07:28:36 AM
I was of the 'Decca Eclipse' LP generation which replaced 'Ace of Clubs' (Mono) and 'Ace of Diamonds' (Stereo) LPs.
Ah, so the Eclipse pressings came about later.  Does anyone here know if it is also available (and was recorded) in a stereo version?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 02, 2022, 07:39:33 AM
Ah, so the Eclipse pressings came about later.  Does anyone here know if it is also available (and was recorded) in a stereo version?

PD

Some of the Eclipse releases are in a kind of 'fake-stereo' which was controversial. I'm sure that Lol will know more about it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 07:51:39 AM
Some of the Eclipse releases are in a kind of 'fake-stereo' which was controversial. I'm sure that Lol will know more about it.
I try and avoid purchasing ones that say something along the line of "simulated stereo".  Do the Eclipse ones say anything to indicate if they've done something like this to the recordings?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 02, 2022, 07:55:23 AM
I try and avoid purchasing ones that say something along the line of "simulated stereo".  Do the Eclipse ones say anything to indicate if they've done something like this to the recordings?

PD

Yes AFAIK PD. I think that if the inner wrapper was pink it was mono and if in blue it might be a simulated stereo. The older Decca Ace of Clubs was Mono and Ace of Diamonds was stereo and many preferred this.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 02, 2022, 07:55:23 AM

PD

Yes they do PD, printed on the outside edge of back cover. You are right, the fake stereo are to be avoided. Unlike other unscrupulous labels Decca were upfront and honest. Far as I am aware Eclipse was the only sub-label that Decca issued  and I quote "Stereo - Mono recording electronically reprocessed to give stereo effect on stereo equipment". Not all Eclipse were fake stereo, some were true stereo, for example the famous Borodin SQ of Borodin 2 & Shostakovich 8. I have all three, Decca, Ace of Diamonds and Eclipse I always play the Eclipse because it has the nicest cover image. 8)

Pleased you enjoyed the VC. Thanks for taking the time to listen.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 07:59:54 AM
Yes AFAIK PD. I think that if the inner wrapper was pink it was mono and if in blue it might be a simulated stereo. The older Decca Ace of Clubs was Mono and Ace of Diamonds was stereo and many preferred this.

Correct, Jeffrey. I do not have an aversion to mono recordings, in fact I quite like them.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you both for the information!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2022, 05:39:58 AM

I love Mercury sound. I listened to the CD of Hanson's 4th Symphony after your recommendation recently. Excellent.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 02, 2022, 09:15:14 AM
I love Mercury sound. I listened to the CD of Hanson's 4th Symphony after your recommendation recently. Excellent.
I think that we're getting to Jeffrey; he's now ordering LPs!  Yippee!  Wait, on second thought, that means another collector to contend with!   ???  ::)  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 02, 2022, 09:05:27 AM
Yes they do PD, printed on the outside edge of back cover. You are right, the fake stereo are to be avoided. Unlike other unscrupulous labels Decca were upfront and honest. Far as I am aware Eclipse was the only sub-label that Decca issued  and I quote "Stereo - Mono recording electronically reprocessed to give stereo effect on stereo equipment". Not all Eclipse were fake stereo, some were true stereo, for example the famous Borodin SQ of Borodin 2 & Shostakovich 8. I have all three, Decca, Ace of Diamonds and Eclipse I always play the Eclipse because it has the nicest cover image. 8)

Pleased you enjoyed the VC. Thanks for taking the time to listen.
Love the avatar image Lol. I think that VW's 8th Symphony (Decca Ace of Diamonds) was genuine stereo. I loved those old Eclipse covers and was amused by the Lake District in snow standing in for the Antarctic in VW's 7th Symphony.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 02, 2022, 09:15:14 AM

Hi Lol,
It's Koussevitzky's recording of Howard Hanson's 3rd Symphony which is super-special.