Author Topic: Christopher Rouse  (Read 18126 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Re: Christopher Rouse
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »
Rouse was a very fine composer and I deeply miss his loss.  I so much wish he had composer another symphony.  Six feels incomplete, but seven feels like a cycle.  He was a fabulous man too.  Humorous and intellectual.  And I feel like I look like him in the age of corona with hair too long and a beard. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »
Rouse was a very fine composer and I deeply miss his loss.  I so much wish he had composer another symphony.  Six feels incomplete, but seven feels like a cycle.  He was a fabulous man too.  Humorous and intellectual.  And I feel like I look like him in the age of corona with hair too long and a beard.

He was a composer of immense talent and, most of all, heart. Even when there’s a huge battery of percussion pounding away, I never felt this to be empty or simply orchestral gesturing of any kind. It actually meant something within the context of the piece. Yes, he seemed like a lovely man.
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
Rouse's 5th Symphony is out. This looks like a must-buy disc. Anyone heard it?

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/rousing-rouse-fifth-and-concerto-for-orchestra-on-naxos/
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2020, 05:56:02 AM »

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/rousing-rouse-fifth-and-concerto-for-orchestra-on-naxos/

Yes, I heard it and enjoyed it.  Fine performances and really liked the Concerto for Orchestra as well.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2020, 06:05:47 AM »

I saw the live world premiere of the Fifth. I'd agree this is a must buy. The Fifth is very loosely inspired by Beethoven's Fifth - in that the opening motif is on the same rhythm and there's a scherzo which leads into the finale - but overall it's typically thrilling, combative Rouse. The finale contains the most bass drum I've ever heard in a work. Rouse came onstage afterwards and looked very frail; we could tell he was in his last years. He did apparently manage to complete a Sixth Symphony.

Streamed "Supplica" and it was everything that the symphony was not - quiet, tender, lyrical, much smaller orchestral force.

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2020, 07:08:39 AM »
The Fifth is very loosely inspired by Beethoven's Fifth - in that the opening motif is on the same rhythm and there's a scherzo which leads into the finale - but overall it's typically thrilling, combative Rouse.

Interesting approach. He did a similar thing with the 3rd Symphony (based on Prokofiev's 2nd).

If you didn't know it was based on LvB 5, would you have guessed it?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos and others
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2020, 03:12:52 AM »
He did apparently manage to complete a Sixth Symphony.

Yes, premiered October 2019 in Cincinnati. NYT review: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/arts/music/rouse-cincinnati-symphony-review.html

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »
If you didn't know it was based on LvB 5, would you have guessed it?
The first few bars are quite obvious - but after that, the relationship is very abstract and not at all clear at the surface level. No quotes are anything like that.