Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on May 17, 2010, 07:56:00 AM
First, Alard is "tried and true".  His recordings for Hortus and Alpha have received much praise.

Second, one of the exciting aspects of classical music is discovering new composers and artists.

Third, are you such a lazy listener that you allow others to do the listening for you?

Hmmm, maybe you're on to something.  He claims to work 14 hours a day, and the listening thread seems to indicate 12 hours listening per day.  Perhaps he has an entire staff listening to all these recordings for him.   ;D

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on May 17, 2010, 11:31:22 AM
Hmmm, maybe you're on to something.  He claims to work 14 hours a day, and the listening thread seems to indicate 12 hours listening per day.  Perhaps he has an entire staff listening to all these recordings for him.   ;D

That's a good one. ;D

SonicMan46

Keyboard Patitas w/ Kenneth Weiss on the harpsichord - a 2-CD set from BRO (just $14 and still available at present) - I was prompted to buy this performance from a superlative review in Fanfare reprinted HERE; excellent liner notes and plenty of information on the Satirino Website HERE, including a description of the harpsichord used (quoted below) -  :D

But out of curiosity, I wanted to look at some other reviews, and found a rather 'negative' one on the Bach Cantata Site - now I do not know this reviewer (attention - Don!), but I must say that these discrepant opinions (in fact, a 2010 Disc from the Year for the Fanfare review!) always interests me?

At present, I'm listening to the second disc of these set; indeed, the harpsichord is just superb to my ears - I'm really enjoying this performance - will keep the set (my other performance is Rousset in a box I own - have not done any comparisons) - will be quite curious of the thoughts from fellow members here - thanks!  ;D

QuoteThe Harpsichord on this recording is from the Anthony Sidey workshop, based on a mid-18th-century German instrument from the Gottfried Silbermann workshop. It was built in Paris in 1995 by Anthony Sidey and Frédéric Bal and was tuned for the present recording by Anthony Sidey.

Scarpia

Quote from: SonicMan on May 17, 2010, 12:58:31 PM
Keyboard Patitas w/ Kenneth Weiss on the harpsichord - a 2-CD set from BRO (just $14 and still available at present) - I was prompted to buy this performance from a superlative review in Fanfare reprinted HERE; excellent liner notes and plenty of information on the Satirino Website HERE, including a description of the harpsichord used (quoted below) -  :D

But out of curiosity, I wanted to look at some other reviews, and found a rather 'negative' one on the Bach Cantata Site - now I do not know this reviewer (attention - Don!), but I must say that these discrepant opinions (in fact, a 2010 Disc from the Year for the Fanfare review!) always interests me?

At present, I'm listening to the second disc of these set; indeed, the harpsichord is just superb to my ears - I'm really enjoying this performance - will keep the set (my other performance is Rousset in a box I own - have not done any comparisons) - will be quite curious of the thoughts from fellow members here - thanks!  ;D

I can understand reading reviews before you have heard the set, particularly if you are trying to decide whether to get the set or another.  Buy what interest is there in reviews after you have heard it for yourself?   If you have your own opinion of the recording, why give a fig whether every review every published confirms your opinion?

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on May 17, 2010, 12:58:31 PM

I know the person who wrote that review on the Bach Cantata Site and the person who wrote the feedback.  Both are highly informed Bach enthusiasts who often review Bach recordings.  That being said, their opinions are just that, as is the opinion of the Fanfare reviewer.  Since SonicMan already has the Weiss set and enjoys it, his opinion is the only one that counts (for him).

Edit:  I happened to find on the internet that Weiss has twice recorded the Goldbergs: once back in the late 1990's and more recently for Satirino.  Anyone familiar with either disc?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on May 17, 2010, 02:03:00 PM
I know the person who wrote that review on the Bach Cantata Site and the person who wrote the feedback.  Both are highly informed Bach enthusiasts who often review Bach recordings.  That being said, their opinions are just that, as is the opinion of the Fanfare reviewer.  Since SonicMan already has the Weiss set and enjoys it, his opinion is the only one that counts (for him).

Scarpia & Don - thanks for your thoughts - not a problem for me at all!  I agree w/ the Fanfare reviewer - this is an excellent set on a well-listening harpsichord, and I enjoy this performer's interpretations - maybe I like his 'slow vs. faster' movement interpretations.

But, just wanted to obtain thoughts from others 'for the record' - others who may not own these recordings, esp. in harpsichord versions, may appreciate a 'conglomerate opinion' in deciding on a purchase - that was my reason for leaving a post here  - Dave  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on May 17, 2010, 11:31:22 AM

First, my 14-hour workday does not include the weekend.  Second, my goal has always been to put together the most comprehensive classical music library spanning the early music through early 20th century for myself.  While my total CD's and LP's in works of Bach are approaching 1500, I also have over 25 Beethoven cycles, 4 Bruckner cycles, 4 Mahler cycles and 4 Wagner Rings, almost all the Handel oratorios and operas and the list goes on.  I do not care to own every Bach organ recording, I am highly selective, period.  8 Complete Bach Organ Works that include Walcha (2), Koopman, Rogg, Hurford, Weinberger, jacob and most of second cycle by Marie-Claire Alain plus numerous individual recordings by Preston, Rubsam, etc. are enough for me.

Jealousy certainly does not get you very far, buddy.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 17, 2010, 04:53:43 PM
First, my 14-hour workday does not include the weekend.  Second, my goal has always been to put together the most comprehensive classical music library spanning the early music through early 20th century for myself.  While my total CD's and LP's in works of Bach are approaching 1500, I also have over 25 Beethoven cycles, 4 Bruckner cycles, 4 Mahler cycles and 4 Wagner Rings, almost all the Handel oratorios and operas and the list goes on.  I do not care to own every Bach organ recording, I am highly selective, period.  8 Complete Bach Organ Works that include Walcha (2), Koopman, Rogg, Hurford, Weinberger, jacob and most of second cycle by Marie-Claire Alain plus numerous individual recordings by Preston, Rubsam, etc. are enough for me.

Jealousy certainly does not get you very far, buddy.

Nobody said you didn't have a fine record collection, so you can stop bragging.  Most of us have the collections we want and would not entertain switching them with any other member's collection.

Bulldog

Quote from: Bulldog on May 17, 2010, 02:03:00 PM

Edit:  I happened to find on the internet that Weiss has twice recorded the Goldbergs: once back in the late 1990's and more recently for Satirino.  Anyone familiar with either disc?

Well, I'm now familiar with both Weiss Goldbergs.  I think the earlier one can be dismissed: tempos that are too quick and disagreeable harpsichord sound.  However, the Satirino version is wonderful; after just three variations I knew that the performances were entirely in my comfort zone.

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on May 18, 2010, 06:35:20 AM
Nobody said you didn't have a fine record collection, so you can stop bragging.  Most of us have the collections we want and would not entertain switching them with any other member's collection.
Mmm, I think I might like your collection though .... or Premont's .... or Harry's!! :)

Seriously now: I like to read reviews, before and after purchasing them myself (or just after listening).

If a certain composer or genre is reviewed by the mostly the same person(s), I can get quite a good idea about their opinions and therefore also if a certain disc will be satisfying. And, after buying, it's nice to read what others think about it. Sometimes reviewers mention things that I did not discover myself. Mind you, I also abuse this board for these reasons. ;)

But, it's true: in the end, it's my own listening experience, my own taste and my own opinion that counts. Sometimes these can change though. That's why I very rarely throw discs in the dustbin .... if ever.

Bulldog

Quote from: Marc on May 19, 2010, 09:45:35 AM
Mmm, I think I might like your collection though .... or Premont's .... or Harry's!! :)

Seriously now: I like to read reviews, before and after purchasing them myself (or just after listening).

Me also.  I read reviews just for the enjoyment of it, so it makes no difference whether I've acquired the recording or not.

Antoine Marchand

Johann Sebastian Bach – Partitas. Clavier-Übung I (1731) BWV 825-830
Pascal Dubreuil (harpsichord)
Instrument: Titus Crijnen (Amsterdam, 1996) after Hans Ruckers II (1624)
Recorded in October 2007 at the Church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption Basse-Bodeux, Belgium
2-CD set
Ramée   

"The publication of the Partitas led to some ferment among music lovers in Germany. Some praised the works, others criticized them, but always in terms which suggest that they represented a turning point in harpsichord composition. Following the lead of the theoretician Johann Mattheson, the critics' principal complaint was the extreme technical demands, and the complexity of writing. In his biography of Bach, Johann Nikolaus Forkel writes of the Partitas: »One has hitherto seldom seen or heard harpsichord compositions of such excellence. He who learned to play some of these pieces well, was able to do well with them in the world; and even in our time a young artist can gain honour with them - brilliant, pleasing, expressive, and constantly fresh as they are.«

As noted in the quote above, the Partitas are among Bach's most technically demanding works for harpsichord, but Pascal Dubreuil succeeds to create a sensation of effortless fluency here. I have felt that this version combines to high degree two aspects very difficult to combine: Rhetoric expressivity and a deep knowledge of the structure and nature of the dances that make up every Partita (spoken word/dance). Additionally, the recorded sound and the instrument are just excellent and nice and erudite notes are provided. Enthusiastically recommended.  :)

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on July 04, 2010, 08:22:47 AM
Johann Sebastian Bach – Partitas. Clavier-Übung I (1731) BWV 825-830
Pascal Dubreuil (harpsichord)
Instrument: Titus Crijnen (Amsterdam, 1996) after Hans Ruckers II (1624)
Recorded in October 2007 at the Church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption Basse-Bodeux, Belgium
2-CD set
Ramée   

"The publication of the Partitas led to some ferment among music lovers in Germany. Some praised the works, others criticized them, but always in terms which suggest that they represented a turning point in harpsichord composition. Following the lead of the theoretician Johann Mattheson, the critics' principal complaint was the extreme technical demands, and the complexity of writing. In his biography of Bach, Johann Nikolaus Forkel writes of the Partitas: »One has hitherto seldom seen or heard harpsichord compositions of such excellence. He who learned to play some of these pieces well, was able to do well with them in the world; and even in our time a young artist can gain honour with them - brilliant, pleasing, expressive, and constantly fresh as they are.«

As noted in the quote above, the Partitas are among Bach's most technically demanding works for harpsichord, but Pascal Dubreuil succeeds to create a sensation of effortless fluency here. I have felt that this version combines to high degree two aspects very difficult to combine: Rhetoric expressivity and a deep knowledge of the structure and nature of the dances that make up every Partita (spoken word/dance). Additionally, the recorded sound and the instrument are just excellent and nice and erudite notes are provided. Enthusiastically recommended.  :)

I just listened to the samples on the Ramee website - highly rewarding.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on July 04, 2010, 09:44:15 AM
I just listened to the samples on the Ramee website - highly rewarding.

Here two examples on You Tube (poor sound quality, sorry):

bassio

http://www.youtube.com/v/D3pxaIiSujQ

Enough said.  8)

(Any information/reviews about the recording/ensemble/harpsichordist is welcome.)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: bassio on August 08, 2010, 05:10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/D3pxaIiSujQ

Enough said.  8)

(Any information/reviews about the recording/ensemble/harpsichordist is welcome.)

One of the most demential and confused versions I've heard in some time, bassio. If that is the Allegro, I can't really imagine the Presto of the same concerto...

I would try Leonhardt/Leonhardt Consort or Asperen/Melante Amsterdam:

Antoine Marchand

Any opinion about the WTC by Daniel Chorzempa? It's a complete 4-CD set played on harpsichord, clavichord, organ and fortepiano. Although I am not generally a fan of Chorzempa, I have been listening some excerpts and it seems a rather enticing, "intimate" lecture.

Opus106

Can anyone provide information (make/type) about the harpsichord played by Herbert Tachezi in the CMW's recording of the Musical Offering? My copy (a recent re-issue) does not contain any, and my best effort at searching with Google was fruitless.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Did Wilson use a different instrument (I mean, a lute-harpsichord instead of a harpsichord) for the F minor prelude from Book II? ???
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Opus106 on September 09, 2010, 11:16:48 AM
Did Wilson use a different instrument (I mean, a lute-harpsichord instead of a harpsichord) for the F minor prelude from Book II? ???

No, but a good question.