Author Topic: The Troubadour Thread.  (Read 18825 times)

Diderica and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: The Troubadour Thread.
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 06:57:13 AM »
Love this music, and this recording is a good one.  That piece is a great example of how sophisticated this music can be.  8)

Cheers. Yes it is a wonderful CD and I agree with your comment on the quality of the music.
This is a wonderful thread and I wish that I could have contributed more to it but my exposure to and knowledge of the genre is rather limited I am afraid.
There is a lot to explore here so perhaps I can do so some time in the future.  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 07:20:36 AM »
That song, Lanquan li jorn, figures on what is one of my favourite recordings of anything This

The poet and philosopher Lanza del Vasto, who was a pupil of Ghandi, founded a non violent community in Arche  in 1948. The Chanterelle was formed from their members. The singer's style ( who is she?) is simple, natural and to my ears, archaic.

Other ones I remember liking are from Rene Zosso and maybe Dominique Vellard.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:54:27 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:20 AM »
How very interesting. Thank you.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »

That song, Lanquan li jorn, . . .  ones I remember liking are . . . maybe Dominique Vellard.

I was wrong to say maybe really, his voice is on top form. The instrumental component is a bit rich for my tastes, but only a bit and I can see that it’s just my quirk. The whole album is, when you’re in the mood, and I was this afternoon, pretty entertaining

Vellard’s the star, when he sings I mean, he’s on a handful of songs, maybe more than a handful.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:39:57 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Kaga2

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly before 1900, but it’s not a rule
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:25 AM »
Cross post from the Listening Thread:

Music of the Troubadours -

Jaufre Rudel: Lanquan li jorn [Ensemble Unicorn/Oni Wytars]

This is quite an extensive piece at 17:31 minutes long. It tells a tragic tale and the music is suitably atmospheric and evocative and forlorn and intense in tone and mood. The female vocal is powerful, haunting, passionate and plaintive. The flavour of the music is heavily Turkish/Arabic. This is an excellent performance from all concerned.

I have that somewhere, but have not listened to it in several years. I need to remedy that. I have numerous recordings by the group and like them all.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »
I have that somewhere, but have not listened to it in several years. I need to remedy that. I have numerous recordings by the group and like them all.

So have I and am doing exactly that these last few days. Absolutely wonderful stuff  8)

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »

Anyone listen to this disc? I got it by a fluke and it's my first and only exposure to this troubadour/trouvère music. Sounds amazing to my ears! I need to hear more, even though it's not likely I'll ever be frequently in the mood for monophonic medieval songs.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »

Anyone listen to this disc? I got it by a fluke and it's my first and only exposure to this troubadour/trouvère music. Sounds amazing to my ears! I need to hear more, even though it's not likely I'll ever be frequently in the mood for monophonic medieval songs.

Love the hurdy-gurdy. That whole series is interesting, there are five volumes each one very different.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:34:39 AM by Mandryka »

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »

Lovely cover, but from Naumburg in Germany.

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
Love the hurdy-gurdy. That whole series is interesting, there are five volumes each one very different.

I got Vol. 3 as part of the same fluke but I have not listened to it yet, it's later music, Binchois and contemporaries. Excited to explore that one as well.