Glenn Gould - The Complete Original Jacket Collection

Started by Que, August 25, 2007, 01:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Just picked this up from rmcr.

Due for release beginning of september in Europe:

(click picture for link to jpc)

€ 200 is of course very cheap, but I wouldn't want all Gould!

Besides, I already bought just about all the Gould issues I wanted (Bach, Brahms) - paid of course a lot more... :-\

Q

Que

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 03, 2007, 02:07:28 PM
Looks like Amazon has slashed the price from $200 to $109.

http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Gould-Collection-Amazon-com-Exclusive/dp/B000TJQ75E/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_6/105-9246338-1474054?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0JGVKF8WY9TPYT6D8MEC&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_p=258372101&pf_rd_i=list

Get it before they sell out !

80 CDs for $110 are you kidding me? And this is not garbage from Brilliant Classics.

My, it's hard to keep up these days!!  :o

More for less seems to be the motto... ;D

Q

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Que on November 03, 2007, 02:59:40 PM
My, it's hard to keep up these days!!  :o

More for less seems to be the motto... ;D

Q

This and the big Callas box also ! How do they make ANY money?

Renfield

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 03, 2007, 04:05:20 PM
This and the big Callas box also ! How do they make ANY money?

Well, half of "them" are almost bankrupt, so to speak. And the other half might not be so keen on reaching that point; again, in some cases: so they compromise. :P

(Where "them" refers to the classical music super-companies, like EMI or Sony. ;))

PerfectWagnerite

I suppose it costs "them" almost nothing to repackage the old releases in a big box. Still you have to scratch your head since it HAS to affect those CDs containing the same music that are still in print. Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot?

sidoze

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 03, 2007, 02:07:28 PM
And this is not garbage from Brilliant Classics.

silly thing to say. They've put out many fine things including several invaluable historical recordings. Then again maybe those things are garbage to you, I don't know.

Mark

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 03, 2007, 04:38:55 PM
I suppose it costs "them" almost nothing to repackage the old releases in a big box. Still you have to scratch your head since it HAS to affect those CDs containing the same music that are still in print. Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot?

Repackaging and reissuing like this generally reinvigorates sales. Many will buy the set for its completeness, its 'original' jackets (reprints, of course ;D) and simply because Gould is a 'big name'. Others still will be attracted by its potential collectors value. Sony aren't daft: they know Gould, Callas and others are bankable. They also know that original and reissued back catalogue items are selling for vastly reduced prices thanks to Amazon sellers. This could also be an attempt to halt the further decline of physical CD sales.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mark on November 04, 2007, 01:31:12 AM
Repackaging and reissuing like this generally reinvigorates sales. Many will buy the set for its completeness, its 'original' jackets (reprints, of course ;D) and simply because Gould is a 'big name'. Others still will be attracted by its potential collectors value. Sony aren't daft: they know Gould, Callas and others are bankable. They also know that original and reissued back catalogue items are selling for vastly reduced prices thanks to Amazon sellers. This could also be an attempt to halt the further decline of physical CD sales.

Well I bought it because I only have 1 Gould CD, the Brahms 1st PC with Lenny and the boys from NY.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on November 04, 2007, 01:31:12 AM

I don't know about you Mark but that box set would overwhelm me  :o :o

marvin

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 04, 2007, 08:59:21 AM
  I don't know about you Mark but that box set would overwhelm me  :o :o

marvin

Wouldn't touch it. There's a limit to how much of Gould's humming I could bear before I made a bonfire out of the lot. ;D

Having said this (tongue in cheek, before I get flamed ::)), I have three Gould recordings (yes, of THAT work), so I'm fairly unbothered by the prospect of not owning anything else by him. That might well be short-sighted of me, but hey-ho ...

Norbeone

Well, though there are many great interpreters of Bach, it's always Gould that delivers that invariably delightful and energetic sound that makes Bach-listening so addictive. And, while this will be less agreeable, Gould's other recordings (of different composers) offer something very similar. IMO, it's a box set that can't be missed. Lets just hope there are some left by christmas!   :o

BorisG

Quote from: Mark on November 04, 2007, 09:06:58 AM
Wouldn't touch it. There's a limit to how much of Gould's humming I could bear before I made a bonfire out of the lot. ;D

Having said this (tongue in cheek, before I get flamed ::)), I have three Gould recordings (yes, of THAT work), so I'm fairly unbothered by the prospect of not owning anything else by him. That might well be short-sighted of me, but hey-ho ...

Other than Gould, there is a noise problem in some sets. CD 37. A Google search for "Gould CD 37" will bring up the newsgroup chatter about it.

Bogey

Quote from: Mark on November 04, 2007, 09:06:58 AM

I enjoy the little bit of Gould that I have, but your line made me LOL Mark, even with the flu.  Thanks for that.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mark

Quote from: Bogey on November 09, 2007, 07:27:29 PM
I enjoy the little bit of Gould that I have, but your line made me LOL Mark, even with the flu.  Thanks for that.

Get well soon, Bill. ;)

PerfectWagnerite

I just got mine in the mail today. Now I am not sure when I will listen to them but the PACKAGING kicks ass ! Each CD in a duplicate LP sleeve and a nice big color booklet listing the CDs and tracks. WOw !

Amazon seems to have caught on and raised the price back up to $200.

Brian

Darn, I thought this thread would be about a new line of clothing.  ;)

Mark

Quote from: brianrein on November 12, 2007, 05:18:18 PM
Darn, I thought this thread would be about a new line of clothing.  ;)

;D ;D ;D

The above smilies don't do justice to how much I just laughed when I read your post. :D

ando

Just picked this one up in very good condition. Was elated til the thread reminded me of some of Gould's notorious shortcomings. Still, nabbing it was worth a trip out of town.