Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 12, 2018, 02:54:30 PM
:o :o :o  ...you're reviewing for ClassicToday now! Wow...I did not see that coming. I will have to renew my Insider subscription.

Sarge

;D Now that's music to my ears!

Moonfish

What's the general verdict on Schaller's performances in this compilation?

[asin] B077TCZHD8[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 07:22:15 PM
What's the general verdict on Schaffller's performances in this compilation?

Bruckner, Schaller

I think these are ABSOLUTELY worth hearing.

The orchestra is basically a pick-up band consisting of the very much Bruckner-experienced professional Munich orchestras. The only thing they lack is that ultra-coherence that some Karajan recordings of Bruckner feature.

aukhawk

The conductor seems to be channeling the composer more than a little ...

[asin] B077TCZHD8[/asin]   

Moonfish

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 22, 2018, 06:18:27 AM
I think these are ABSOLUTELY worth hearing.

The orchestra is basically a pick-up band consisting of the very much Bruckner-experienced professional Munich orchestras. The only thing they lack is that ultra-coherence that some Karajan recordings of Bruckner feature.

Ooops, a conductor typo.  ::)    Thanks for your feedback in regards to Bruckner.  So less disciplined but still excellent performances? I was just reading the review on MusicWeb. "Worth hearing and buying whether you're a Bruckner tyro or tyrannosaurus."
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Feb/Bruckner_sys_PH17024.htm

David Hurwitz thinks that Schaller has caught Bruckneritus!  ???  "Gerd Schaller is a sensitive and idiomatic Bruckner conductor, but he has caught Bruckneritus, the uncontrollable urge to perform a stupid new edition of one of the major symphonies."
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/another-bastard-bruckner-edition-time-8th/

Btw I keep checking out your surveys of different cycles (Bruckner, Sibelius, Beethoven etc). An excellent resource!!!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

André

Hurwitz must have undergone a root canal or suffered from bad hemorrhoïds. On top of this Bruckner review, he has penned two « CD from Hell » reviews this week ! That's a lot of bile on one page  ::)

Jens, find him a doctor !  ;D

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: André on May 22, 2018, 01:43:30 PM
Hurwitz must have undergone a root canal or suffered from bad hemorrhoïds. On top of this Bruckner review, he has penned two « CD from Hell » reviews this week ! That's a lot of bile on one page  ::)

Jens, find him a doctor !  ;D

I'm contractually obliged to agree with everything he says!  ;D

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 22, 2018, 03:00:05 PM
I'm contractually obliged to agree with everything he says!  ;D

P.S. The Gatti is my favorite La Mer recording of the last 20 years.

André

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 22, 2018, 03:00:39 PM
P.S. The Gatti is my favorite La Mer recording of the last 20 years.

Good to know  :D

vandermolen

I see that there's a comparatively inexpensive set of Hans Rosbaud conducting symphonies 2-9.
Any views on Rosbaud's performances?
[asin]B07556L2TN[/asin]
I seem to recall having a rather good LP of him conducting Symphony 7 on Vox/Turnabout in my youth.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2018, 02:54:39 AM
I see that there's a comparatively inexpensive set of Hans Rosbaud conducting symphonies 2-9.
Any views on Rosbaud's performances?
[asin]B07556L2TN[/asin]
I seem to recall having a rather good LP of him conducting Symphony 7 on Vox/Turnabout in my youth.

Sure:

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 11, 2018, 11:42:02 PM
There's said review of Rosbaud.

Latest on #ClassicsToday: Terrific Bruckner from the @SWRClassic archives with #HansRosbaud!

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/rosbaud-from-the-archives-a-collectors-near-complete-bruckner-cycle/ ...

Super-no-nonsense performances. 4th 7th and 9th particularly worth hearing. Sound good mono. Sometimes a little slow for how little happens.

vandermolen

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 23, 2018, 02:59:47 AM
Sure:

Super-no-nonsense performances. 4th 7th and 9th particularly worth hearing. Sound good mono. Sometimes a little slow for how little happens.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately I'm not a subscriber so can't access that particular review. However, I did just find one on Musicweb which was generally positive, although less impressed by symphonies 8 and 9 (my two favourites). Still, I may still be unable to resist this temptation. Apparently Rosbaud was too ill to record Symphony 1.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2018, 11:51:22 AM
Many thanks. That's the one I saw. Am still tempted by the set.

It looks intriguing. Can one have too many Bruckner experiences? Nah!   >:D   I recently ordered a mega set of Wand's recordings (which includes a huge dosage of Bruckner) so I think I will muse over them before I even think about Rosbaud's performances. It will definitely take me a while. Still, tempting......
The Wand recordings (and deal) are still available at https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B06XPYVS8P/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,4431.msg1150960.html#msg1150960

Anna Lappé

vandermolen

I was at Wand's last concert in the UK, at the Albert Hall; Bruckner's 9th Symphony. I was with my brother who is more of a Bruckner fanatic than myself (he took his late wife on a 'Pilgerfahrt' (Pilgrimage) to Austria to see all the sites associated with his hero) - anyway, my brother thought it the greatest performance he had ever heard of Bruckner's 9th Symphony.

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2018, 12:51:47 PM
I was at Wand's last concert in the UK, at the Albert Hall; Bruckner's 9th Symphony. I was with my brother who is more of a Bruckner fanatic than myself (he took his late wife on a 'Pilgerfahrt' (Pilgrimage) to Austria to see all the sites associated with his hero) - anyway, my brother thought it the greatest performance he had ever herd of Bruckner's 9th Symphony.

Such a treat! A lifetime experience!
*jealous*
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: Moonfish on May 23, 2018, 01:49:45 PM

Such a treat! A lifetime experience!
*jealous*

Jealous of the 'Pilgerfahrt' or the concert, or both?  8)

I'm also jealous of the Bruckner pilgrimage. My brother sent me a postcard of the school room which was Bruckner's birthplace I think.

Moonfish

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2018, 02:26:33 PM
Jealous of the 'Pilgerfahrt' or the concert, or both?  8)

I'm also jealous of the Bruckner pilgrimage. My brother sent me a postcard of the school room which was Bruckner's birthplace I think.

Both!  0:)
Anna Lappé

aukhawk

Pilgerfahrt postcard: