Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Renfield on February 27, 2010, 04:23:29 AM
Aha! Thanks Sarge.

Edit: Hold on, it was Amazon.fr I'd checked before. This is unavailable. Maybe an alternative listing?

Isn't he talking about this box of Furtwaengler's Bruckner?

Quote from: jlaurson on February 27, 2010, 04:08:06 AM

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/02/ionarts-at-large-haitink-in-bruckner.html

Ionarts-at-Large: Haitink in Bruckner, Ozawa not in Bruckner

With all due respect to Maestro Mariss Jansons who I much admire, it is a very good idea for the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra to have guest conductors take on the Anton Bruckner duties...

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on February 27, 2010, 04:43:47 AM

Yes, that would make sense.

Sorry Sarge, I should have been clearer in my original comment. It was the Andante set I don't have.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on February 27, 2010, 04:43:47 AM

I was. Sorry, Renfield. I thought I knew which box you were talking about. The crowd can disperse now. Nothing to see here, folks.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DarkAngel

Any comments on these recent Bruckner DVDs by Welser Most/Cleveland?
These are wide screen format and the 9th gets high praise at Amazon both visual and sound performance.

Not much new out there although I see the recent Boulez/WP 8th now available as DVD also

DarkAngel

Quote from: Renfield on February 24, 2010, 05:09:26 AM
However, having a look at his discography, it seems there's only two versions of him conducting the VPO on the 8th on record. One is the M&A one from 1944, also issued on DG - the version I referred to.
And the other is from 1954, issued (at least) on Andante.

In fact, I think it's in that set you have, which I sadly didn't pick up before it disappeared.

Indeed.....the Andante set contains 4/24/1954 Furtwangler/VPO Bruckner 8th (nowak edition)

DarkAngel

OK its official............you must own this boxset!

1951 WP 4th
This is extremely good performance in very good mono sound, not going to say the best because there so many great performances in better more modern sound, but this has a sense of power and authority that is almost unmatched, WP brass section is godlike

1942 BPO 5th
This is the best 5th I have ever heard, Sinopoli/DG has been dethroned......the sound quality is almost a miracle for 1942, unbelievable historical quality. This is a hard symphony to pull off and most conductors loose the long line and just kinda muddle through. Furtwangler has the full measure of this work and makes it sound more coherent and natural then any other I have heard, and the towering climaxes he builds will take your breath away...... this is a crown jewel, a reference 5th

1943 BPO 6th
This is missing the 1st movement (lost) but I can see why M&A put it in this set, sound is just a notch below the 5th but still excellent for 1943 by any standard, performance of what remains is nearly as impressive as 5th but there is more competition here from newer versions. Cut from the same cloth as 1942 5th, iron fist in a velvet glove that scales the heights like few others, a master at work here......

Next in line 1951 BPO 7th, 1944 WP 8th (Haas), 1944 BPO 9th......

kentel

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 02, 2010, 06:49:12 PM

OK its official............you must own this boxset!

1951 WP 4th
This is extremely good performance in very good mono sound, not going to say the best because there so many great performances in better more modern sound, but this has a sense of power and authority that is almost unmatched, WP brass section is godlike

1942 BPO 5th
This is the best 5th I have ever heard, Sinopoli/DG has been dethroned......the sound quality is almost a miracle for 1942, unbelievable historical quality. This is a hard symphony to pull off and most conductors loose the long line and just kinda muddle through. Furtwangler has the full measure of this work and makes it sound more coherent and natural then any other I have heard, and the towering climaxes he builds will take your breath away...... this is a crown jewel, a reference 5th

1943 BPO 6th
This is missing the 1st movement (lost) but I can see why M&A put it in this set, sound is just a notch below the 5th but still excellent for 1943 by any standard, performance of what remains is nearly as impressive as 5th but there is more competition here from newer versions. Cut from the same cloth as 1942 5th, iron fist in a velvet glove that scales the heights like few others, a master at work here......

Next in line 1951 BPO 7th, 1944 WP 8th (Haas), 1944 BPO 9th......

I fully agree. I generally don't like Furtwängler that much but I was deeply impressed by this box set : everything is great, especially the 8th and the 9th which are among the best, and maybe the best I've ever heard (and I've heard loads of versions of these two).

And that's right, the sound is astonishing, especially in the takes from 1942, 43 & 44...

--Gilles

jlaurson

Quote from: kentel on March 03, 2010, 10:54:58 AM

And that's right, the sound is astonishing, especially in the takes from 1942, 43 & 44...

--Gilles

I too have caved... and agree. The set is worth it alone for the recordings from the 40s. I've never heard a Furtwaengler recording from the 50s (except Wagner) that I've deemed particularly great (certainly not those turgid Lucerne or Bayreuth Beethoven 9th), but the war-time recordings are unnerving, unsettling, with real fire (perhaps hell fire) burning within.

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2010, 12:42:41 PM
(certainly not those turgid Lucerne or Bayreuth Beethoven 9th)

:'(

Also, I feel unwarrantedly privileged for having had the box set everyone seems to be discovering right now for close to two years.

mahler10th

Quote from: Renfield on March 03, 2010, 12:46:10 PM
Also, I feel unwarrantedly privileged for having had the box set everyone seems to be discovering right now for close to two years.

I feel equally privilaged everyone seems to be sharing how good it is without withholding such valuable information for close to two years... :P

This is on my list now.

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2010, 12:42:41 PM

...certainly not those turgid Lucerne or Bayreuth Beethoven 9ths...
Quote from: Renfield on March 03, 2010, 12:46:10 PM

Every once in a while, ya' have to take out the hammer.  ;)

Renfield

Quote from: John on March 03, 2010, 01:24:41 PM
I feel equally privilaged everyone seems to be sharing how good it is without withholding such valuable information for close to two years... :P

This is on my list now.

Hey, I am quite certain I mentioned it two years back. Perhaps with less (deserved) extravagance, but I'd be surprised if I didn't.

Edit: Though not here, or in the Art of Furtwängler thread, I admit. I probably posted about it in the Purchases or Listening thread.

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2010, 01:39:33 PM

I'd be less aggrieved if you didn't bunch them both into one category. $:)

;)

Que

Quote from: jlaurson on March 03, 2010, 01:39:33 PM

Quote from: Renfield on March 03, 2010, 01:48:12 PM
I'd be less aggrieved if you didn't bunch them both into one category. $:)

Agreed with the last statement - the Lucerne LvB 9th is great and there is more great Furtwängler to be found from the '50s. The '51 Hamburg Brahms 1st and the '53 live Fidelio with the same cast as the EMI studio recording come to mind, as examples.

Q

kentel

There is a ninth by Schuricht with the Stuttgart RSO in this 4cd box set  : maybe something has been said about this recording here but I couldn't find it.

I hated it : Schuricht is either too fast or too slow (with some curious accelerandos in the 1st mvt), his harsh phrasing is inadequate for this work (the scherzo sounds like a precipitated military march),  the brass section is terrible (among other things, there is an atrocious horn in the first minutes), and the (live) recording is far below what you could expect for a take from 1951.

--Gilles

Drasko

None of several Schuricht ninths I heard were much to my liking, mostly because the same reasons you stated, many tempo relations he chose felt very odd to me.
Nor was I much enamored with few of his Stuttgart recordings I heard, again similar reasons.
But Schuricht's Bruckner can be very impressive at his considerable best. His VPO 5th and 8th (former on DG or Altus, latter on EMI) and BPO 7th (on Profil) should be heard.

As for vintage ninths Furtwangler and Kabasta would be my first options, and perhaps Hausegger in somewhat limited sound.

kentel

Quote from: Drasko on March 05, 2010, 01:00:40 PM
None of several Schuricht ninths I heard were much to my liking, mostly because the same reasons you stated, many tempo relations he chose felt very odd to me.
Nor was I much enamored with few of his Stuttgart recordings I heard, again similar reasons.
But Schuricht's Bruckner can be very impressive at his considerable best. His VPO 5th and 8th (former on DG or Altus, latter on EMI) and BPO 7th (on Profil) should be heard.

As for vintage ninths Furtwangler and Kabasta would be my first options, and perhaps Hausegger in somewhat limited sound.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard the Kabasta  :) (and I enjoyed much the Furtwängler too).

Scarpia

Listened to Chailly's Bruckner 3 today.  I had listened to the recording fairly recently and remember being not so impressed with the performance, but a repeat today has given a different result.  I guess I am just in a more receptive mood.  The development of themes in this work is perhaps not so brilliantly managed as in Bruckner's later works, but the work is abundant with beautiful harmonies and sonorities and majestic accumulations of sound.  The use of french horns in the opening pages of the finale is truly awe inspiring.

jlaurson

Listening to Paavo's 9th right now. And either I've not listened to it before (and it was the 7th I sort of let run by my ears), or I didn't listen to it properly. I'm liking it a lot better now. (Though partly that's always because it's simply great music.) Sound is excellent; I just wonder how Sony can offer these new SACD releases at such low prices.

A.Bruckner
Symphony No.9
Frankfurt RSO, P.Jaervi
RCA SACD

Scarpia

Quote from: jlaurson on April 25, 2010, 10:00:07 AMI just wonder how Sony can offer these new SACD releases at such low prices.

RCA is part of Sony now?

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on April 25, 2010, 10:03:54 AM
RCA is part of Sony now?

...and has been, for what... 10 years now?

It entered the Sony family, along with DHM (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi) when BMG and Sony 'merged'.