Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david johnson and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Daverz

Quote from: helios on May 17, 2010, 12:03:49 PM
Hi - quick question.  Have only gotten into Bruckner lately.   I've been listening to the 8th a lot.    Which ones would you recommend listening to next?

I would just get a set, like either Jochum set. 

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symphonies-Complete-Anton/dp/B000B7VZRO

Otherwise, my order might be something like

7, 9, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2, 0, 1, 00

Drasko

Quote from: Daverz on May 17, 2010, 02:12:09 PM

Yes to set, yes to that one, and my order would be very similar:
9, 7, 6, 3, 4, 5, 2, 0, 1, 00

jlaurson

Quote from: helios on May 17, 2010, 12:03:49 PM
Hi - quick question.  Have only gotten into Bruckner lately.   I've been listening to the 8th a lot.    Which ones would you recommend listening to next?

thanks $:)

well, it's such a person matter--and so dependent on your mood, the quality of the recording/interpretation (and whether you respond to it), that any advice is borderline meaningless.

except: you have given us a hint with the 8th.

I'd say: not the easiest Bruckner to get started with; except it's what converted me, too...

And the most similar to the 8th is the 5th.   Followed by the 9th, I suppose, the the 6th, 3rd, 7th... then it doesn't matter anymore, because you'll either be hooked already or not yet.

The (allegedly) most popular 4th is the furthest from the 8th. I think it must be the most popular among people who otherwise don't particularly care for Bruckner.

I'd grab a copy of Celibidache's 5th (EMI, see below) and see where that leads you. Another cathedral for you to explore.

This might also help a little: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/05/bruckner-divine-and-beautiful.html

(then: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/search/label/Anton%20Bruckner or http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=121)

P.S. oh, yes: and DON'T get a cycle. One at a time; trying to get a particular, a special recording of each individual symphony before you move on to the next symphony. Cycles dilute the listening experience.

Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on May 17, 2010, 02:12:09 PM

I would give contradictory advise.

Yes, a set is a good idea, especially since you can get the entire cycle for the price of a few symphonies.  The cycles encourage you to focus on the music rather than the conductor.  The Jochum set is good, but I prefer this one, which can be had for a bit under $50

On the other hand, there are different ways to perform Bruckner, and it might be more fun to explore a variety of different conductors and orchestras.  There is the hard driven Solti/CSO approach, the more autumnal Haitink approach, the monumental Karajan, the Urbane Chailly, etc. 

helios

Herman

I think I have mentioned this cd before. Yesterday I listened to the Haitink Sixth again, the first Bruckner in a long long time, and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the music and the wonderful sound of the Dresden Staatskapelle, exquisitely captured on this cd  -  the velvety sound of the strings and the amazing dynamic depth this orchestra has (completely absent on those horrible communist era recordings, where they just added a lot of empty ambience). This is what the SD really sounds like. Interestingly Haitink never ever lingers in this symphony and yet you wake up after the last note as if time has stood still.

I really should get the 8th + Mozart, too, in this same series.

jlaurson

Quote from: Herman on May 23, 2010, 01:08:04 AM

I think I have mentioned this cd before. Yesterday I listened to the Haitink Sixth again, the first Bruckner in a long long time, and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the music and the wonderful sound of the Dresden Staatskapelle, exquisitely captured on this cd  -  the velvety sound of the strings and the amazing dynamic depth this orchestra has (completely absent on those horrible communist era recordings, where they just added a lot of empty ambience). This is what the SD really sounds like. Interestingly Haitink never ever lingers in this symphony and yet you wake up after the last note as if time has stood still.

I really should get the 8th + Mozart, too, in this same series.

The 8th doesn't quite live up to this marvelous 6th, but yes... that's one of the very top 6th to be had.
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=121

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2010, 01:29:51 AM
The 8th doesn't quite live up to this marvelous 6th, but yes... that's one of the very top 6th to be had.
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=121

Agreed on the 8th being less than it could be - though the 1st movement was quite strong.

And this 6th seems to have eluded me completely. I also lack Norrington's recent (and Gramophone-vaunted) effort, and Gielen's, which I expect to like, as I've liked pretty much all his work I've heard.

So is that three Hänssler/Profil Bruckner 6ths for me to get when I can?

jlaurson

Quote from: Renfield on May 23, 2010, 07:51:42 AM

So is that three Hänssler/Profil Bruckner 6ths for me to get when I can?

Well, I think Norrington and Gielen are Haenssler & Haitink is PROFIL Haenssler, two totally different companies.

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2010, 11:04:22 AM
Well, I think Norrington and Gielen are Haenssler & Haitink is PROFIL Haenssler, two totally different companies.

I was aware of the distinction, but I thought they had some sort of common denominator as businesses.

Or is it like Harmonia Mundi and DHM, as your post seems to suggest. Just curious. :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Renfield on May 23, 2010, 01:24:21 PM
I was aware of the distinction, but I thought they had some sort of common denominator as businesses.

Or is it like Harmonia Mundi and DHM, as your post seems to suggest. Just curious. :)

Mr. Haenssler sold "Haenssler Classics" and has nothing to do with it anymore; then he founded Profil Haenssler; independent company, different distribution et al.

Herman

Anybody heard Blomstedt's Brukner Six, with the Dresdener Staatskapelle, also on Profil?

I think it was Blomstedt's 6th, with the Concertgebouw, back in the mid-eighties, live, that definitely turned me on to this symphony.

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2010, 01:26:03 PM
Mr. Haenssler sold "Haenssler Classics" and has nothing to do with it anymore; then he founded Profil Haenssler; independent company, different distribution et al.

I see; thank you. Interesting.

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2010, 11:04:22 AM
I wasn't aware of that and always assumed PROFIL Haenssler to be a Hanssler series. Useful knowledge. Thanks.

Sergeant Rock

I'm usually on my way to Ohio this time of year, and in fact had planned to see the Cleveland Orchestra's final concert of the season. But circumstances (mostly health-related) are keeping me in Germay this spring and summer. Reading this Plain Dealer article about the upcoming concert, I'm now even more disappointed. It's rare we get the opportunity to hear Bruckner's original Eighth.

The reason I'm posting this: any thoughts on the original vs revised versions? Pace Welser-Möst I think the original, while interesting, is clearly inferior. I think that Coriolan-like ending to the first movement, quiet, tragic, is one of the most profound things he ever wrote; it's both musically and emotionally more logical and satisfying than the forced,  "tacked on " happy ending fanfares of the original. When listening to the original, I miss the harps in the Trio. Kind of like the triple woodwind and more prominent horns though.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 24, 2010, 08:51:53 AM
I'm usually on my way to Ohio this time of year, and in fact had planned to see the Cleveland Orchestra's final concert of the season. But circumstances (mostly health-related) are keeping me in Germay this spring and summer. Reading this Plain Dealer article about the upcoming concert, I'm now even more disappointed. It's rare we get the opportunity to hear Bruckner's original Eighth.

The reason I'm posting this: any thoughts on the original vs revised versions? Pace Welser-Möst I think the original, while interesting, is clearly inferior. I think that Coriolan-like ending to the first movement, quiet, tragic, is one of the most profound things he ever wrote; it's both musically and emotionally more logical and satisfying than the forced,  "tacked on " happy ending fanfares of the original. When listening to the original, I miss the harps in the Trio. Kind of like the triple woodwind and more prominent horns though.

Sarge

I have Inbal's recording of the original and aside from a few interesting details I found it inferior.  My main gripe is that (if I recall correctly) my favorite passage in all of classical music, which comes in the first movement coda, was not present in the original.

Franco

Anyone heard this?  He's also done the 9th, maybe others, and I think he is embarking on a complete cycle.  I enjoyed his Beethoven, but that style would not really be suitable for Bruckner, IMO - so it makes me wonder what he would bring to these works.

Scarpia

Quote from: Franco on May 24, 2010, 09:30:36 AMAnyone heard this?  He's also done the 9th, maybe others, and I think he is embarking on a complete cycle.  I enjoyed his Beethoven, but that style would not really be suitable for Bruckner, IMO - so it makes me wonder what he would bring to these works.

Why do you assume he would use the same style to perform Beethoven and Bruckner? 

Franco

Quote from: Scarpia on May 24, 2010, 09:42:27 AM
Why do you assume he would use the same style to perform Beethoven and Bruckner?

I don't assume he would use the same style, I would naturally think he might do otherwise, but without having heard them,  I am asking if anyone here has heard his recordings - so as to find out.

Scarpia

Quote from: Franco on May 24, 2010, 09:51:14 AM
I don't assume he would use the same style, I would naturally think he might do otherwise, but without having heard them,  I am asking if anyone here has heard his recordings - so as to find out.

I see.  I notice that both Paavo and papa Jarvi and releasing Bruckner these days.  The main draw is that they are SACD surround discs, but in that catagory I am more tempted by this series: