Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

I came across this through a German acquaintance who is a professor in Taiwan:

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1572057

The premiere of Bruckner's E minor Mass in Taiwan.

QuoteThe chorus's director Wu Shang-lun said that their concerts will feature works by German and Austrian composers in the Romantic Period in the late 19th century, including Anton Bruckner, Joseph Rheinberger and Johannes Brahms.

"This will be our first time to perform Bruckner's Mass No. 2 in E minor in Taiwan," Wu added.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scarpia

Started listening to this one:

[asin]B00140L7CU[/asin]

Oh, my god, so, so, so bad!  The same problem I have always had with Norrington, back to his Haydn symphony recordings on EMI, no control of balance, constant sense of one voice dominating the sonority with all others burried.  All sound and fury, no harmony and counterpoint.

But I was intrigues by some of the weird things that were in Bruckner's first version of the 3rd. 

Switched to this one after getting half-way through Norrington's first movement

[asin]B00008UVC2[/asin]

Not the greatest Bruckner interpreter, but the orchestra is competently balanced, generally well done although perhaps more monumental than necessary.

In any case, the first version of the 3rd symphony has some fascinating things in it, and some awkward things.  There is a trumpet figure in the Scherzo that is too complex in this version that Bruckner seems to have simplified in the final version.  Lots of odd interjections that got cut in the final version.  And the slow movement of the original version, doesn't seem to hold together too well, until all of a sudden I seem to be listening to Tannhauser.  Certainly worthwhile to hear the original, even if the final version contains some improvements.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 01, 2011, 09:36:08 AM
Started listening to this one:

Oh, my god, so, so, so bad!  The same problem I have always had with Norrington, back to his Haydn symphony recordings on EMI, no control of balance, constant sense of one voice dominating the sonority with all others burried.  All sound and fury, no harmony and counterpoint.

But I was intrigues by some of the weird things that were in Bruckner's first version of the 3rd. 

Switched to this one after getting half-way through Norrington's first movement

Not the greatest Bruckner interpreter, but the orchestra is competently balanced, generally well done although perhaps more monumental than necessary.

In any case, the first version of the 3rd symphony has some fascinating things in it, and some awkward things.  There is a trumpet figure in the Scherzo that is too complex in this version that Bruckner seems to have simplified in the final version.  Lots of odd interjections that got cut in the final version.  And the slow movement of the original version, doesn't seem to hold together too well, until all of a sudden I seem to be listening to Tannhauser.  Certainly worthwhile to hear the original, even if the final version contains some improvements.

Tintner on Naxos is terrific in this first version. He takes his time and it doesn't feel slow at all. And the playing of the Scottish National Orchestra is wonderful. Just saying...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

DavidW

This is appropriate, I am out looking for a good recording of the 3rd in modern sound.  I'll take it not Norrington! ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: haydnfan on May 01, 2011, 12:06:38 PM
This is appropriate, I am out looking for a good recording of the 3rd in modern sound.  I'll take it not Norrington! ;D

The booklet contains an essay by Norrington about how everyone had played the symphony all wrong until he came along.  Not a good sign.  I've seem people on this board (as I recall) say that after having collected a dozen or more versions of their favorite Bruckner symphony Norrington was actually something new.  In that sense he has a niche.  I'll agree it was something new, but not in a good way from my point of view.   I paid only 2 bucks for it, so I felt comfortable turning it off after 15 minutes.

Cato

Well, as is usual, my recommendation is Eugen Jochum's DGG recording, but that version is Leopold Nowak's Edition of the 1889 revision. 

The NAXOS/ Tintner CD with the 1873 version (edited by Nowak) has received some rave reviews.

Scarpia

Quote from: Cato on May 01, 2011, 01:10:29 PM
Well, as is usual, my recommendation is Eugen Jochum's DGG recording, but that version is Leopold Nowak's Edition of the 1889 revision.

That's your idea of modern sound?

Just get this set and be done with it.

[asin]B0000CESR7[/asin]

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on May 01, 2011, 01:10:29 PM

The NAXOS/ Tintner CD with the 1873 version (edited by Nowak) has received some rave reviews.

Yeah Jochum DGG set is my favorite, but that's what I'm replacing... the sound is too dated.  Not enough detail.  I'm not an audiophile, just want to be able to breath in all of the detail that is there.

eyeresist

Simone Young has also done a praised recording of the original 3rd.

Sergeant Rock

I am out looking for a good recording of the 3rd in modern sound.  I'll take it not Norrington! ;D

Not until you've bought and heard twenty-three other versions. Then buy Norrington (something completely different): you'll love it...at least I do  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on May 01, 2011, 07:19:09 PM
Simone Young has also done a praised recording of the original 3rd.

Also Kent Nagano has one. 10/10 review from the Hurwitzer ("this performance of Bruckner's original, 1873 score is the finest available")

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2011, 07:12:17 AM
Also Kent Nagano has one. 10/10 review from the Hurwitzer ("this performance of Bruckner's original, 1873 score is the finest available")
Sarge

One of the many incidents where he is much finer on recording than in concert. Except a recent live Bruckner 9th, which has to be said was stupendous, esp. compared to the middle-of-the-road-ism that I had just heard with Haitink (and a better orchestra) a few weeks before.

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2011, 07:12:17 AM

Sarge

They were very clever to omit all information about the version from the title and cover of the CD.   ::)

Snagged a copy of this rather rare out-of-print CD.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 02, 2011, 08:33:22 AM
They were very clever to omit all information about the version from the title and cover of the CD.   ::)

It's on the back cover. I'm actually surprised it's not prominently displayed on front. I would think it would be a selling point.

Sarge

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2011, 08:39:48 AM
It's on the back cover. I'm actually surprised it's not prominently displayed on front. I would think it would be a selling point.

There is no image of the back cover on Amazon.  Probably why it's out-of-print.

Sergeant Rock

DavidW

Alright Nagano sounds good with me, I've ordered it. :)

Cato

Quote from: haydnfan on May 02, 2011, 09:24:10 AM
Alright Nagano sounds good with me, I've ordered it. :)

So have I!  Which purchase breaks my personal rule of not buying multiple versions, but the reviews were so enthusiastic, and I do like very much Nagano's conducting in Busoni's opera Doctor Faust.

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 26, 2011, 10:08:48 AM
About Tintner/Carragan Second: I have it but haven't given it a close listen. I'll have to do that soon.

Didn't Young do that version too?

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on May 02, 2011, 01:49:31 PM
So have I!  Which purchase breaks my personal rule of not buying multiple versions, but the reviews were so enthusiastic, and I do like very much Nagano's conducting in Busoni's opera Doctor Faust.

And I just had a great time watching Nagano conducting in Wagner's Lohengrin. :)