Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Daverz

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 12:04:54 AM
I don't  :P  Giulini bores me. Slow ≠ profound.

Giulini's Chicago recording clocks in at 62:43, nearly 6 minutes faster than the VPO recording.

karlhenning

Well, so far as I am concerned, Sarge's enthusiasm for a conductor/work combination is recommendation enough.

And no artillerie lourde was involved!

jlaurson

I just got whole stack of Bruckner SACDs with Blomstedt and the Leipzig Gewandhaus put in my hand (Querstand label). Anyone already have any experience with / opinions about them?

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2011, 11:20:27 AM
There's a 4-disc EMI box of Kid Giulini with the CSO, and there's the Bruckner Ninth in the midst, Sarge.  Offhand, sounds like a fair risk::reward profile . . . .

[asin]B0001ZMBV0[/asin]

Well, this was my first go with the Bruckner Ninth, and it likes me well.  Will listen to this one again . . . .

Herman

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 12:04:54 AM
I don't  :P  Giulini bores me. Slow ≠ profound.

that may be true in many cases, but Giulini's late-career Vienna recordings are very very good.

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 05:15:24 AM
Well, this was my first go with the Bruckner Ninth, and it likes me well.  Will listen to this one again . . . .

Great!

Karl's musical subconscious is preparing itself for the composition of his First Symphony!  An American Bruckner for the 21st century!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Enjoying Bruckner's late symphonies, is like enjoying the beauty of a woman's body.

If your a 'breast man', you might prefer Bruckner's top-heavy 7th.
If your a 'butt and hips guy', you might prefer Bruckner's bottom-heavy 8th.
If it's the hour glass figure you are after, Bruckner's 9th.

Then again, if you love the thin, pixie, anorexic types.....well...there is always Prokofiev's Classical Symphony.   ;D

karlhenning

Now, wait a minute, fella!

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 20, 2011, 05:21:22 PM
Now, wait a minute, fella!

That being said, I do love Prokofiev's Symphony No. 1.  Just not the comparative woman's shape.   8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: JetsNut on June 20, 2011, 05:15:52 PM
Then again, if you love the thin, pixie, anorexic types.....well...there is always Prokofiev's Classical Symphony.   ;D

Couldn't this be said of Bruckner's 6th. I read somewhere it was referred to as "Bruckner-lite." :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 05:28:19 PM
Couldn't this be said of Bruckner's 6th. I read somewhere it was referred to as "Bruckner-lite." :)

I was actually thinking of mentioning the relatively unimpressive B6, but then I'd be swarmed by all the Bruckner Nuts who think it is the greatest symphony ever composed.   ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: JetsNut on June 20, 2011, 05:30:02 PM
I was actually thinking of mentioning the relatively unimpressive B6, but then I'd be swarmed by all the Bruckner Nuts who think it is the greatest symphony ever composed.   ::)

Well I'm a Brucknerian and I love this symphony, but you have every right to dislike it if that's what you ultimately choose or have chosen to do. I think when I first heard this symphony it just clicked with me right away. That Adagio lured me in while that short Scherzo third movement really made my head spin with all of those interesting rhythms.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 05:36:24 PM
Well I'm a Brucknerian and I love this symphony, but you have every right to dislike it if that's what you ultimately choose or have chosen to do. I think when I first heard this symphony it just clicked with me right away. That Adagio lured me in while that short Scherzo third movement really made my head spin with all of those interesting rhythms.

Well, I don't hate it.  I just don't think it is anywhere close to the greatness of the 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th....and the 3rd for that matter.  Just my own personal taste.   :)  I'm sure I'll appreciate it more in time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JetsNut on June 20, 2011, 05:39:38 PM
Well, I don't hate it.  I just don't think it is anywhere close to the greatness of the 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th....and the 3rd for that matter.  Just my own personal taste.   :)  I'm sure I'll appreciate it more in time.

Perhaps it will click for you one day and if it doesn't, then that's perfectly fine too. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I have wasted many hours on music I don't even like, but, now, in retrospect, sometimes it's better to have tried something than to not have at all. I like Bruckner's 6th more than his 7th and his 9th better than his 8th and his 5th better than his 4th, but all of these symphonies are incredible in their own right and offer the listener something different. I'm a rather unconventional Brucknerian anyway, especially in my preferences for Wand, Chailly, and Giulini than to Jochum and Karajan.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 05:48:06 PM
Perhaps it will click for you one day and if it doesn't, then that's perfectly fine too. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I have wasted many hours on music I don't even like, but, now, in retrospect, sometimes it's better to have tried something than to not have at all. I like Bruckner's 6th more than his 7th and his 9th better than his 8th and his 5th better than his 4th, but all of these symphonies are incredible in their own right and offer the listener something different. I'm a rather unconventional Brucknerian anyway, especially in my preferences for Wand, Chailly, and Giulini than to Jochum and Karajan.

I am not too keen on the 6th because to me it unquestionably it, along with the 5th, stakes Bruckner's claim to being the father of the motion picture score.   There is one passage in the 6th which sounds as if it came straight of the score of Lawrence of Arabia.  (That maybe Colin Davis's fault--it was his recording on LSO Live which was my introduction to the 6th.) One reason I like the Jochum recordings it because the resemblance is much more muted.   Of course, although this may sound a little strange in light of the above, the 5th is my favorite Bruckner, closely followed by the 7th and 9th.

DavidW

Quote from: JetsNut on June 20, 2011, 05:30:02 PM

You should try Haitink's recording, he has command of both the nuances and the overall structure.  Highly rewarding performance. :)

[asin]B000LC4Y1S[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 20, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
I am not too keen on the 6th because to me it unquestionably it, along with the 5th, stakes Bruckner's claim to being the father of the motion picture score.   There is one passage in the 6th which sounds as if it came straight of the score of Lawrence of Arabia.  (That maybe Colin Davis's fault--it was his recording on LSO Live which was my introduction to the 6th.) One reason I like the Jochum recordings it because the resemblance is much more muted.   Of course, although this may sound a little strange in light of the above, the 5th is my favorite Bruckner, closely followed by the 7th and 9th.

Hogwash. I disagree. Like I said, people view the 6th as a slight work compared to his more heavy blockbusters like 7-9, but, I honestly like this symphony and the overall mood of the work.

As Dave points out, the Haitink/Dresden recording on Profil is excellent.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 06:43:54 PM
Hogwash. I disagree. Like I said, people view the 6th as a slight work compared to his more heavy blockbusters like 7-9, but, I honestly like this symphony and the overall mood of the work.

As Dave points out, the Haitink/Dresden recording on Profil is excellent.

Well, as I said, it might be the fault of Colin Davis, since that's how I was introduced to the 6th.  The resemblance to film scores is much less noticeable and the Lawrence of Arabia moment much more muted,  in Jochum.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 20, 2011, 07:26:54 PM
Well, as I said, it might be the fault of Colin Davis, since that's how I was introduced to the 6th.  The resemblance to film scores is much less noticeable and the Lawrence of Arabia moment much more muted,  in Jochum.

Colin Davis couldn't conduct a decent Bruckner performance to save his life! :D The guy has no ear for Bruckner. He made two horrible Bruckner recordings on the LSO Live label (the 6th and 9th) not too long ago and they seemed like a joke to me at the time and still do. To all Bruckner fans reading this: STAY AWAY FROM COLIN DAVIS!

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 07:39:20 PM
Colin Davis couldn't conduct a decent Bruckner performance to save his life! :D The guy has no ear for Bruckner. He made two horrible Bruckner recordings on the LSO Live label (the 6th and 9th) not too long ago and they seemed like a joke to me at the time and still do. To all Bruckner fans reading this: STAY AWAY FROM COLIN DAVIS!

Indeed!  That's the one I was referring to.   And I also have the 9th.  Not as bad, but could be much better.