Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on June 20, 2011, 08:01:09 PM
Indeed!  That's the one I was referring to.   And I also have the 9th.  Not as bad, but could be much better.

There are only a few things Colin Davis is useful for, in my opinion, Berlioz, Tippett, Elgar, and Sibelius (which I many problems with all of his Sibelius readings -- the LSO cycle being the better cycle of the three). I know, I know, I'm being pretty harsh, but the guy just irritates the living daylights out of me. He's always so careful with his conducting like it's a sin to let an orchestra cut loose and rip into the music. ???

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2011, 06:34:45 PM
You should try Haitink's recording, he has command of both the nuances and the overall structure.  Highly rewarding performance. :)

Seconded.

Bruckner, Symphony No. 6, Bernard Haitink
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=121

I have no problem that someone doesn't find the 6th to reach the same heights of the 8th, 9th, 5th, or even 7th or 4th. Perhaps one gets so used to expecting 'heavy Bruckner', that the 6th doesn't fulfill those conditioned expectations. But it's a marvelous work even if it isn't your favorite Bruckner.

I might rank the 8th higher, as a musical 'experience', but I love, love the 6th and definitely prefer it over the 4th and 7th... and 9th, to be honest, even if I apply a different measure to enjoyment from the Ninth. Just as I apply a different measure of enjoyment-expectation to a Rossini Overture as opposed to a Bartok Quartet.

My favorite 6ths are (at least off the top of my head) Celibidache, Haitink, and Wand-Cologne.

Off topic, but appropriate for the general topic:

Edit: link(s) fixed

There is only one complete (well, the 8.75 symphonies One through Nine in any case) Bruckner cycle from Wand, and that's Cologne.

There are four incomplete cycles:

NDR - 1 (live @ Musikhalle Hamburg)
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

The late 90s autumn's autumn cycle from Berlin (Philharmonic), with one of the greatest 8th ever put on record... includes
4, 5, 7, 8, 9

Munich (Philarmonic)
4, 5, 6, 8, 9

Schleswig Holstein / NDR 2000/2001 (DVD)
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

+ Luebeck / NDR:
8 , 9
That 8th is a famous, great, reverberant recording/performance... but I prefer Berlin

In addition to that, there's a "last recording" 4th with the NDR which may (or may not) be different from the one on TDK (I think it is; very broad, beautiful reading coupled with the best Schubert 5th I've ever heard), and several Ninths... in and out of print... from Stuttgart, Japan... 5 & 9 with the DSO-Berlin (also in the box set), and I think the early Cologne 5th (EMI-DHM, back when they were partners) is not the Cologne 5th in the set... but I don't have the former at hand to compare/check recording dates. As mentioned, there's an old 8th with Guerzenich on Scribendum.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 08:07:36 PM
There are only a few things Colin Davis is useful for, in my opinion, Berlioz, Tippett, Elgar, and Sibelius (which I many problems with all of his Sibelius readings -- the LSO cycle being the better cycle of the three). I know, I know, I'm being pretty harsh, but the guy just irritates the living daylights out of me. He's always so careful with his conducting like it's a sin to let an orchestra cut loose and rip into the music. ???
You should have seen his Janacek Glagolitic Mass with the LSO here last October. He let the musicians cut loose too much - the "Svet" movement just spun completely out of control. Disappointed me. :(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: kishnevi on June 20, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
I am not too keen on the 6th because to me it unquestionably it, along with the 5th, stakes Bruckner's claim to being the father of the motion picture score.   There is one passage in the 6th which sounds as if it came straight of the score of Lawrence of Arabia.

Thank you. Whenever I bring that up on classical forums I'm shot down  ;D ....but we're right: the main theme of the first movement does sound like Maurice Jarre was familiar with it when he began composing Lawrence of Arabia. I don't understand your reaction though. That film composers "borrow" (intentionally or not) from classical composers doesn't degrade the classics but elevates the popular medium. Rather than turn me off, the cinematic sweep of the Sixth's first movement is what attracted me in the first place. I love that theme--both the symphony's and the film's.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2011, 08:07:36 PM
There are only a few things Colin Davis is useful for, in my opinion, Berlioz, Tippett, Elgar, and Sibelius....

And Haydn...he's a marvelous conductor of Haydn (and Mozart, Beethoven too, actually). Love his Dvorak also.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 21, 2011, 04:06:44 AM
Thank you. Whenever I bring that up on classical forums I'm shot down  ;D ....but we're right: the main theme of the first movement does sound like Maurice Jarre was familiar with it when he began composing Lawrence of Arabia. I don't understand your reaction though. That film composers "borrow" (intentionally or not) from classical composers doesn't degrade the classics but elevates the popular medium.

Yes. As you know, too, Sarge, one comes across much the same prejudice against Rakmaninov at times . . . .

karlhenning

BTW, Ray has done my wallet harm this day ; )

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 21, 2011, 04:35:30 AM
BTW, Ray has done my wallet harm this day ; )

No problem Karl, the pleasure is all mine.  8)

karlhenning

Oh, and I didn't mean to sound ungrateful : )

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 21, 2011, 03:43:31 AM
You should have seen his Janacek Glagolitic Mass with the LSO here last October. He let the musicians cut loose too much - the "Svet" movement just spun completely out of control. Disappointed me. :(

Davis isn't a noted Janacek conductor anyway, so I wouldn't have saw that show, but I can only imagine how much of a travesty that performance was.

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 21, 2011, 04:06:44 AM
Thank you. Whenever I bring that up on classical forums I'm shot down  ;D ....but we're right: the main theme of the first movement does sound like Maurice Jarre was familiar with it when he began composing Lawrence of Arabia.

Mild correction: the main theme as it is modified in the coda sounds like LoA. In its original iteration it's not quite as close.  ;)

I agree with you. It doesn't lower the original that someone else may have been inspired by it. I still love the 6th.

karlhenning

My Wand set is en route!

QuoteDelivery Estimate: July 18, 2011 - July 29, 2011

This shipment will be delivered by Royal Mail.

I'll look for the postman in the special livery, then!

Time to exercise yet more of the virtue of Patience.

I could imagine listening to Bruckner on my mp3 player . . . a fantastic thought, which I could never have had ere this year.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2011, 02:41:22 AM
My Wand set is en route!

I'll look for the postman in the special livery, then!

Time to exercise yet more of the virtue of Patience.

I could imagine listening to Bruckner on my mp3 player . . . a fantastic thought, which I could never have had ere this year.

At least you are not Canadian, Karl.  Our postal strike is still on going, and it is now nationwide and has been for well over a week now.   :(

karlhenning

Could be worse. The trash collectors could be on strike nationwide . . . .

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2011, 06:29:55 AM
Could be worse. The trash collectors could be on strike nationwide . . . .

That happened a few years back (not nationwide), but in the city of Toronto.  Apparently, the smell was absolutely horrendous, the whole city stank.  :D

Is there anyone from GMG who lives in Toronto, and can testify to this?

Sorry, blessed and beloved Anton, to trash and desecrate your Abbey with all this trash talk.   :-[

Brahmsian

I'm happy to report that Bruckner's Abbey is the 3rd highest posted on thread in the Composer Discussion section, behind only Mahler Mania Rebooted and Vaughan Williams Veranda.

Technically, Bruckner is in 4th spot, but I don't count the long ago locked up Elgar thread, that was probably 70% flame wars verses true musical discussion.   ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: JetsNut on June 24, 2011, 06:43:00 AM
I'm happy to report that Bruckner's Abbey is the 3rd highest posted on thread in the Composer Discussion section, behind only Mahler Mania Rebooted and Vaughan Williams Veranda.

And if the Mahler thread hadn't wanted rebooting (after a notorious Elgar-centric thread highjack) . . . Gustav would be A Monster!

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2011, 06:44:11 AM
And if the Mahler thread hadn't wanted rebooting (after a notorious Elgar-centric thread highjack) . . . Gustav would be A Monster!

The Vaughan Williams Veranda has had a lot of controversial conversations regarding the use of Wind Machines......just sayin'.   8)

karlhenning

If only he'd made employ of the wind machine . . . Bruckner could have taken over the world!

I think I'll listen to one of the Masses this morning . . . .

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2011, 06:50:27 AM
If only he'd made employ of the wind machine . . . Bruckner could have taken over the world!

I think I'll listen to one of the Masses this morning . . . .

Hey Karl, I listened to the F minor one yesterday.  Sublime!!  One of my favorite, non-requiem masses.