Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2011, 08:39:18 AM
Yes, you've got love that finale to the 8th. Earth-shattering power.

Best coda in the business!

bhodges

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 01, 2011, 09:17:47 AM
Best coda in the business!

*[laughing]*

You're right.

--Bruce

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2011, 10:53:59 AM
I own it but it's been years since I last listened to it. I prefer both the original and the 1889 versions. My recordings of the 1877 don't get much play.

I agree generally. But when it's performed like *that* I don't really care about the version.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

eyeresist

Quote from: jlaurson on July 10, 2011, 08:54:17 AM

Still Searching For Bruckner's True Intentions --
On the Myth of Bruckner's "Original Versions"

I was just reading about the Bruckner problem on Wikipedia a couple of days ago, so this is useful (and the Nazi angle is new). This seems to be one of those examples of uncritical groupthink to which the Classical world is sometimes prone. One misremembered statement is recalled as common wisdom, and finally undeniable dogma (Solti's alleged emulation of Elgar's performance of his 1st); or in this case one musicologist's whim becomes a piece of the true musical cross (see also Mahler's 6th). I don't mean to be negative; it's must what I've been thinking about lately. It is nice to think that Anton's later thoughts might finally be accepted as valid (though of course later thoughts, however authentic, won't be necessarily better).

Cato

Quote from: eyeresist on July 10, 2011, 06:13:06 PM
I don't mean to be negative; it's must what I've been thinking about lately. It is nice to think that Anton's later thoughts might finally be accepted as valid (though of course later thoughts, however authentic, won't be necessarily better).

And there is the can of worms!  Wait a generation and see whether your "better" is also accepted or is suddenly sneered at!  (e.g. Deryk Cooke sneering at the revision by Bruckner mentioned in the NYT article.)

In any case, it is now time to find The New Bruckner by Dermot Gault!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

rw1883

"Bruckner in a New Light"

Another article about Bruckner from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303544604576434294097475616.html

Cato

Quote from: rw1883 on July 13, 2011, 05:30:04 PM
"Bruckner in a New Light"

Another article about Bruckner from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303544604576434294097475616.html

An excerpt:

But this week's series of four concerts by the Cleveland Orchestra at the Lincoln Center Festival represents the first time Bruckner's music has been paired in depth with that of John Adams, one of America's supreme composers.

Wednesday's opening program juxtaposes Mr. Adams's Dantean "Guide to Strange Places" with Bruckner's brooding, tragic Symphony No. 5 in B-flat. On Thursday, the Adams Violin Concerto (with soloist Leila Josefowicz) will be followed by the 1883 edition of Bruckner's Symphony No. 7 in E (containing the composer's tribute to his recently deceased idol, Richard Wagner). The third concert, on Saturday, is consecrated to Bruckner's colossal and contemplative Symphony No. 8 in C-minor, in the richer, longer, less frequently performed original version of 1887. The fourth and final concert in the series, on Sunday, pairs Mr. Adams's "Doctor Atomic" Symphony, derived from his eponymous opera about the creation of the atomic bomb in 1945, with Bruckner's valedictory Symphony No. 9 in D-minor, its finale left unfinished at his death.

The programs were the idea of the orchestra's music director, the Austrian-born Franz Welser-Möst, who will be conducting them. Discussing the subject by phone, he says that "some years ago I was given a recording of 'Guide to Strange Places'—it may have been of the first performance. As I listened, immediately it struck me that there are so many similarities with Bruckner's music."

My emphasis above: I found that phrase ("brooding, tragic") rather odd for the Fifth Symphony.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

JerryS

Quote from: Cato on July 13, 2011, 05:37:35 PM

My emphasis above: I found that phrase ("brooding, tragic") rather odd for the Fifth Symphony.

I agree that I wouldn't use that description for the 5th. However, I was looking through some Bruckner recordings on Amazon and found this:

[asin]B00000DMI3[/asin]

Amazon's listing of the recording details includes some names I've never heard associated with these symphonies.

3rd     "Wagner
4th    "Romantic"
5th    "Tragic";"Church of Faith";"Pizzicato"
7th    "Lyric"
8th    "Apocalyptic";"The German Michel"
9th    "Unfinished"

For the 3rd, 4th, 8th (Apocalyptic)  and 9th I've heard these nicknames before, but not the others.

I really appreciate the links to the articles. Very interesting reading!

Jerry

kishnevi

The programs were the idea of the orchestra's music director, the Austrian-born Franz Welser-Möst, who will be conducting them. Discussing the subject by phone, he says that "some years ago I was given a recording of 'Guide to Strange Places'—it may have been of the first performance. As I listened, immediately it struck me that there are so many similarities with Bruckner's music."

I too find that description strange.  There is very little in Bruckner's music that I would apply those words to.    Brooding perhaps in the sense of thoughtful or deeply thinking on a subject, but no melancholic associations--solemnity but little sadness. 

In the present context, there is a little irony involved for me, because my first, and for a long time, only, recording of the Fifth was the London Philharmonic conducted by.....Welser-Most.

Wanderer

Likewise.

Sergeant Rock

He seems to have confused the Fifth with the Ninth.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: vivolin on July 13, 2011, 08:11:32 PM

Amazon's listing of the recording details includes some names I've never heard associated with these symphonies.

3rd     "Wagner
4th    "Romantic"
5th    "Tragic";"Church of Faith";"Pizzicato"
7th    "Lyric"
8th    "Apocalyptic";"The German Michel"
9th    "Unfinished"

Some other nicknames associated vaguely to Bruckner's symphonies:

1st - The Saucy Maid
2nd - Symphony of Pauses

jlaurson

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 14, 2011, 05:06:24 AM
Some other nicknames associated vaguely to Bruckner's symphonies:

1st - The Saucy Maid
2nd - Symphony of Pauses

The proper nickname for the Sixth might be "The Saucy One", actually... since Bruckner rhymed of it--in jolly mood, apparently--"Meine Sechste ist die Keckste".

Brahmsian

Quote from: jlaurson on July 14, 2011, 05:22:14 AM
The proper nickname for the Sixth might be "The Saucy One", actually... since Bruckner rhymed of it--in jolly mood, apparently--"Meine Sechste ist die Keckste".

I thought maybe the Bruckner 6th might be dubbed "The Greek Maiden between two Norse Gods".  :D

Oops, wrong composer and wrong symphonic trio.

TheGSMoeller

Was on a YouTube Bruckner marathon today, I'll share some of what I watched...

Love the tempo Wand uses for the first movement, very exciting...

http://www.youtube.com/v/m5rSdIc6mp8

http://www.youtube.com/v/mMQlsm_X0SY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvLST4hrmn0

Such heartbreakingly beautiful music...

http://www.youtube.com/v/Wfvk5QeQ2UQ&feature=related

Daverz