Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Luke (+ 1 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on May 15, 2013, 07:04:56 AM
Sarge, any thoughts yet on "the Cincinnati Sixth"?

Haven't heard it yet. Haven't been in a Bruckner mood. But I feel one coming on  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

GMG members know that I am very partial to the Nowak edition of the symphonies, especially as performed by Eugen Jochum and Company on DGG.

But I have listened to the Originalfassung (or at least William Carragan's version of it) many times now, and it is a wonderful ride!

The few revisions which I prefer from the Nowak version are outweighed by the great stuff missing in it.

And this is a wonderful performance:

[asin]B0000060D5[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MishaK

If the original 2 ed. Carragan you want, try this one:

[asin]B0083FRA4S[/asin]

Much better performance, IMHO.

Cato

Quote from: MishaK on May 16, 2013, 08:46:29 AM
If the original 2 ed. Carragan you want, try this one:

[asin]B0083FRA4S[/asin]

Much better performance, IMHO.

Okay, sounds interesting, especially with all 3 Carragan editions being performed.

kishnevi

Misha, thank you for that tip. I've ordered it and wishlisted the companion 4/7/9

Now I can give my Tintner recordings of 1-3 to the library without feeling guilty. >:D

Octave

Mike-Knight once recommended some of Matthew Best's sacred Bruckner:
Quote from: knight66 on December 15, 2007, 11:38:17 PM
[...]The Bruckner Mass in F minor is very beautiful and dramatic, in parts it is like one of his symphonies set to voices. There are some very beautiful vocal lines and it is a passionate piece. The Corydon Singers version under Matthew Best is excellent. Here is a link with some samples.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sacred-Choral-Works-Anton/dp/B000002ZRG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197794197&sr=1-6

How are Matthew Best's other Bruckner sacred music recordings?  There is a 3cd which includes all three masses, TE DEUM, and some smaller pieces.  I did a bit of searching in the forum but did not turn up other opinions.

I only know the DG recordings by Jochum and Celibidache's Mass #3 (Munich/EMI), both of which I found magisterial.  (FYI: I bought a used copy of the old DG 4cd of the Jochum instead of the two 'Originals' 2cd reissues, simply because I heard a couple reports that the 'Originals' reissues were very badly remastered.)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on June 24, 2013, 11:16:08 PM
Mike-Knight once recommended some of Matthew Best's sacred Bruckner:
How are Matthew Best's other Bruckner sacred music recordings?  There is a 3cd which includes all three masses, TE DEUM, and some smaller pieces.  I did a bit of searching in the forum but did not turn up other opinions.

THey are exellent! I bought them in their original incarnation and have listened to them regularly for years now. Hyperion give a couple minutes of testing time, so you can give a listen to see what you think. Alas, I cannot compare, as I enjoyed these enough that I never felt the need to try others.

Here is a review of one of them: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Nov11/Bruckner_Mass_CDH55332.htm
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Mm, that must be nice, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Because I obviously was lacking in Bruckner, this new addition to the roster:

Toni Bruckner
Symphony No.6
+ Bach/Webern ricerare
C.v.Dohnanyi / Cleveland Orchestra
CPO

German link - UK link

(Not only got it for the Bach-Webern... but that was a big fat attractive bonus!)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 16, 2013, 01:52:57 PM
Misha, thank you for that tip. I've ordered it and wishlisted the companion 4/7/9

Now I can give my Tintner recordings of 1-3 to the library without feeling guilty. >:D

You're going to give away one of the Hurwitzer's 10/10 reference recordings (the Tintner Third)?  ???  For shame, Jeffrey, for shame  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

Quote from: jlaurson on June 25, 2013, 05:40:19 AM
Because I obviously was lacking in Bruckner, this new addition to the roster:

Toni Bruckner
Symphony No.6
+ Bach/Webern ricerare
C.v.Dohnanyi / Cleveland Orchestra
CPO

German link - UK link

(Not only got it for the Bach-Webern... but that was a big fat attractive bonus!)

That's a gorgeous recording. (And chuckling at "Toni Bruckner" - sounds like a Hollywood real estate agent.  ;D)

--Bruce

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 25, 2013, 05:45:15 AM
You're going to give away one of the Hurwitzer's 10/10 reference recordings (the Tintner Third)?  ???  For shame, Jeffrey, for shame  ;)

Sarge

Probably not actually give it away--but if I did,  it would mean everyone in Broward County would have the opportunity to listen to a Hurwitz reference recording,  instead of me keeping it selfishly to myself. :P

pencils

Quote from: Cato on May 16, 2013, 07:35:31 AM
GMG members know that I am very partial to the Nowak edition of the symphonies, especially as performed by Eugen Jochum and Company on DGG.

But I have listened to the Originalfassung (or at least William Carragan's version of it) many times now, and it is a wonderful ride!

The few revisions which I prefer from the Nowak version are outweighed by the great stuff missing in it.

And this is a wonderful performance:

[asin]B0000060D5[/asin]

I love this also. The Tintner cycle is one of the best inexpensive purchases I have ever made. Been reading some of this thread today, and been reminded how much I am moved by Bruckner.

This at the moment:

TheGSMoeller

Loved Vanksa's 3rd with the BBC Scottish SO, now had the pleasure of listening to his 4th (1888 version) with the Minnesota Orchestra via Spotify. Another successful interpretation to these ears, very detailed with a consistent emotional drive, cymbals and all.
Any other takers?

Cato

While hearing a football game in the background, my ears suddenly pick up one of the main motifs from the Bruckner Symphony #5!!!    ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Specifically bar 477 at X (in the Nowak score) of the first movement.  The game was Missouri vs. Georgia and I believe the Missouri band played it.

J

Quote from: Cato on October 12, 2013, 01:27:39 PM
While hearing a football game in the background, my ears suddenly pick up one of the main motifs from the Bruckner Symphony #5!!!    ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Specifically bar 477 at X (in the Nowak score) of the first movement.  The game was Missouri vs. Georgia and I believe the Missouri band played it.

It's pretty well known (at least here in the Columbia, Missouri area) that the "Mizzou" fight song incorporates that motif from the 5th Symphony (who says middle America lacks all cultural sensibility?).  As the story goes,
back in the early 70's a graduate student in the School of Music, who also happened to be a fanatical Bruckner admirer, won a contest for updating that game anthem you were hearing, and later admitted to the appropriation (after a big hullabaloo in the local press, and some interrogation from School Administration).  Supposedly there's other snippets of Bruckner in the song, - though I can't remember exactly from where now.

Cato

Quote from: J on October 13, 2013, 01:47:56 PM
It's pretty well known (at least here in the Columbia, Missouri area) that the "Mizzou" fight song incorporates that motif from the 5th Symphony (who says middle America lacks all cultural sensibility?).  As the story goes,
back in the early 70's a graduate student in the School of Music, who also happened to be a fanatical Bruckner admirer, won a contest for updating that game anthem you were hearing, and later admitted to the appropriation. Supposedly there's other snippets of Bruckner in the song, - though I can't remember exactly from where now.

Wow!  Great to know, J!  That explains what I heard!

And as an Ohioan in Middle America (aka "Flyover Country"), I agree with the objection to the claim of the snobs (e.g. my sister-in-law in California) that cultural sensibility cannot be found here!

Most of the dreck in our kulcher is created on the coasts!

The Toledo Symphony, as I have reported here throughout the years, has established a tradition of playing a Bruckner symphony every year in the Roman Catholic cathedral in Toledo.  And the performances have been excellent!

calyptorhynchus

Does anyone know of an article which explains in the reconstructed finale of the Ninth, as recorded recently by Rattle.

To my ears it sounds completely convincing, and, of course I can hear what's going on thematically, what I'd like to know about is the tonal scheme.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Cato

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 18, 2013, 05:09:30 PM
Does anyone know of an article which explains in the reconstructed finale of the Ninth, as recorded recently by Rattle.

To my ears it sounds completely convincing, and, of course I can hear what's going on thematically, what I'd like to know about is the tonal scheme.

This should answer your questions:

http://www.abruckner.com/Data/articles/articlesEnglish/cohrsB9finale/BG_Cohrs_Introduction_SPCM2012.pdf

calyptorhynchus

Thanks, that's interesting, but it's not what I'm looking for.

I want a narrative which says "the finale starts in x major.... then modulating to y minor for the contrasting theme..... ending in D major".
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton