Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2014, 04:20:00 AM
I heard the Ninth in all its effulgence!

Karl, how did you enjoy the performance you attending of B9 performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra?  Was it apocalyptic?  ;D

Karl Henning

Just fabulously beautiful, Ray.  In fact . . . Masha has a show opening this Sunday, and is taking thought for music for each of the three larger rooms, and she wants the first movement of the Ninth as part of her "playlist" for the landscapes.  So you may judge what a positive impact the concert had!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: trung224 on January 23, 2014, 12:56:39 AM
Apart from a complete cycle 1956-1958, Jochum recorded several individual Bruckner's symphonies for DGG. Good as the stereo remakes are, the mono ones are even more flexible and blazing.
[asin]B000001GXM[/asin]
[asin]B00006L76U[/asin]

Oh, this remains a dangerous place for me . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 23, 2014, 04:35:26 AM
Just fabulously beautiful, Ray.  In fact . . . Masha has a show opening this Sunday, and is taking thought for music for each of the three larger rooms, and she wants the first movement of the Ninth as part of her "playlist" for the landscapes.  So you may judge what a positive impact the concert had!  0:)

Mmm, excellent Karl.  I've only heard the 7th so far in live performance, and it was an unforgettable experience indeed.

Leo K.

I'm enjoying this account of the B5 by Knappersbusch this afternoon. Schalk edition aside, this is marvelous!

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 23, 2014, 04:28:03 AM
Both Greg.  I enjoy both immensely.  Jochum is definitely my Bruckner conductor.  :)

Amen, Brother!  I say Amen!   0:)

Yet others have their moments, as named above, but let me add Carl Schuricht to the listings here in more recent pages.  We have mentioned him fairly often before, but let me do it again, just to be sure that he is not forgotten!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 23, 2014, 04:28:03 AM
Both Greg.  I enjoy both immensely.  Jochum is definitely my Bruckner conductor.  :)

Quote from: Cato on January 24, 2014, 01:57:30 PM
Amen, Brother!  I say Amen!   0:)

Been sampling the Jochum sets online, interpretations are similar, choice seems to be centered around sound quality and orchestral performance, which both succeed in quite well.  8) Thanks, Gents, for the info.

Other news: Just did an inventory of my Symphony No. 3 recordings, I think I'm covered in terms of capturing the scope of this piece...

No. 3
Tintner - 1873
Inbal - 1873
Norrington - 1873
Solti - 1877
Harnoncourt – 1877
Sinopoli - 1877
Vasnka - 1877
Dohnanyi - 1878
Barenboim - 1878
Chailly - 1889
Celibidache – 1889
Karajan - 1889
Skrowaczewski - 1889

Mirror Image

I have quite a large Bruckner collection, I'm thinking of pulling out one of Jochum sets. Which one should it be? DG or EMI? Let's filp a coin...

Mirror Image

And the set I'll be listening to...

The coin landed on tails which was the DG set. I'm not a huge Jochum fan and I considered both of his Bruckner sets to be jerky, edgy, and a typical stop-and-go affair, but it's been years since I've heard any of these performances from Jochum.

J.Z. Herrenberg

That Jochum set contains my favourite performance of the Adagio of the Sixth Symphony.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 24, 2014, 07:01:59 PM
Other news: Just did an inventory of my Symphony No. 3 recordings, I think I'm covered in terms of capturing the scope of this piece...

No. 3
Tintner - 1873
Inbal - 1873
Norrington - 1873
Solti - 1877
Harnoncourt – 1877
Sinopoli - 1877
Vasnka - 1877
Dohnanyi - 1878
Barenboim - 1878
Chailly - 1889
Celibidache – 1889
Karajan - 1889
Skrowaczewski - 1889

You're missing the 1890 revision Bruckner did with the brothers Schalk. Recordings I own: Szell/Cleveland, Sanderling/Gewandhaus, Rozhdestvensky/LargeSORadioTV, and Knappertsbusch/Vienna Phil. Barbirolli and Schuricht also used the 1890 in their performances.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 25, 2014, 03:30:39 AM
You're missing the 1890 revision Bruckner did with the brothers Schalk. Recordings I own: Szell/Cleveland, Sanderling/Gewandhaus, Rozhdestvensky/LargeSORadioTV, and Knappertsbusch/Vienna Phil. Barbirolli and Schuricht also used the 1890 in their performances.

Sarge

Thank you, Sarge! I shall seek it out!
Do you have a preferred version and recording to match?

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 25, 2014, 03:07:17 AM
That Jochum set contains my favourite performance of the Adagio of the Sixth Symphony.

That's it? Nothing else is memorable about it, Johan? What about the EMI Jochum set?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2014, 06:33:49 AM
That's it? Nothing else is memorable about it, Johan? What about the EMI Jochum set?

I generally love Jochum's performances. I haven't made an exact comparison of these readings with the Staatskapelle Dresden set, though. Lack of time. The Ninth in the DGG set was the second Bruckner symphony I ever bought and heard (after the Szell 3), and I loved it. That's all I can offer, alas. Apart from the fact, as already stated, that the Adagio of the Sixth gets the best performance I yet have heard (those closing minutes are indescribably moving).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 25, 2014, 06:53:40 AM

I generally love Jochum's performances. I haven't made an exact comparison of these readings with the Staatskapelle Dresden set, though. Lack of time. The Ninth in the DGG set was the second Bruckner symphony I ever bought and heard (after the Szell 3), and I loved it. That's all I can offer, alas. Apart from the fact, as already stated, that the Adagio of the Sixth gets the best performance I yet have heard (those closing minutes are indescribably moving).

Cool, thanks Johan. 8) Seeing as the 6th and the 9th are my favorite Bruckner symphonies, I'll definitely check these two performances out first.

TheGSMoeller

A truly solid 7th. The finale has a particular drive that seems to be missing from a lot of recordings that find the need to always pump the brakes on the tempo when climaxes arrive. Not that either way is right, but slower doesn't always result in a more transcendent sound. But that's the beauty of Bruckner recordings, is that we can experience the best from all facets of his music.
Harnoncourt created a monumental, spacious 5th, and an optimistic 9th, both of which I hold in high regard, that will now be joined with his 7th. Also helps to have the glorious, and formidable Vienna Phil. playing along in large Teldec sound. I'm looking forward to future spins of this disc, probably much sooner than later.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 25, 2014, 04:18:02 AM
Do you have a preferred version and recording to match?

Despite it not being as structurally sound as the earlier versions, I like the 1889 best. Celibidache/Munich and Maazel/SOBR are the favorites. Jochum/Dresden is growing on me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Leo K.

As a relatively new Brucknerian (2007-) I've found the Jochum DG set to live up to the legend. The Jochum B6 is so amazing! This symphony (along with the 3rd and 5th) is becoming my favorite Bruckner.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Leo K. on January 28, 2014, 11:41:48 AM

As a relatively new Brucknerian (2007-) I've found the Jochum DG set to live up to the legend. The Jochum B6 is so amazing! This symphony (along with the 3rd and 5th) is becoming my favorite Bruckner.

Nice to hear you can appreciate the Jochum B6 as much as I do. (I think his B5 with the Staatskapelle is more spectacular, by the way.)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Cato on January 28, 2014, 12:41:31 PM
With some trepidation, allow me to quote an excerpt from my unpublished novel, which contains a scene where a young organist (Tom) has adapted the last part of the slow movement of Bruckner's Sixth Symphony for the funeral of a child killed in a bicycle accident:

I love the word 'angelicity'.

I think you describe those final minutes very well. That mighty and passionate descending phrase in the strings - I have always felt that as a bridge between heaven and earth, too.

Quote from: sanantonio on January 28, 2014, 12:49:10 PM
You mean to say you prefer this one?

Interesting.  I have the DG but the Dresden is on NML and I have never heard anything from it.  Will give it a listen since you've brought it up.

My B5 with the Staatskapelle is part of a Brilliant box. The performance is dated February 1980, Lukaskirche, Dresden.