Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka, Lisztianwagner (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jo498

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 22, 2016, 07:59:47 AM
What was his intent? How about getting just getting performed and maybe just make a few $$$?
He utterly failed at this front most of the time. Some of his symphonies were premiered in versions for two pianos because he could nor raise enough money or enthusiasm.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Quote from: André on June 21, 2016, 12:09:22 PM
His innate lack of confidence led him to revisit, revise and alter his scores, mostly to the good.
Bruckner had quite a lot of confidence, although he did rely on the opinions of friends and colleagues as well -- but certainly without confidence he would never have written the way he did, and would have been trained out of his characteristic style and into something more "normal" very early.

He did, however, probably have something we'd now recognise as obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is a more likely explanation for the constant revision (especially considering how numerically focused it was) and his occasional bouts of insecurity and depression. At least, that tallies with everything I've seen in the literature.

Jo498

Some of his quirks like counting windows of buildings or meticulously making sure that he observed the rules for fasting days also point toward some obsessive-compulsive tics.
As he started out from a very humble situation he also craved public recognition, that's why even as a fairly experienced musician he took exams in counterpoint etc. to get official statements that he was a master of the craft.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Parsifal

Quote from: amw on June 22, 2016, 11:19:38 AM
Bruckner had quite a lot of confidence, although he did rely on the opinions of friends and colleagues as well -- but certainly without confidence he would never have written the way he did, and would have been trained out of his characteristic style and into something more "normal" very early.

There is a distinction between having confidence in your own ability and having confidence that you will receive recognition for your work.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 21, 2016, 11:18:30 PM
"Here's a question for everyone: what do you think Bruckner's intent was in his music? You could definitely call this music absolute music in the sense that there's no kind of program with any of the works with only the subtitle of Romantic given to Symphony No. 4 and that subtitle alone hardly tells us anything. What do you guys think the music is expressing?"

I think that Bruckner was a mystic, attuned to the energy of the universe (which he would have called "God"). This is why most of his symphonies begin with the famous string vibrato, which is an expression of the buzzing potential energy of the universe. His symphonies then explore the different expressions of this energy, the different tempi, ranging from energetic scherzi to slow movements that are very slow. But whatever the tempi he explores, they are counterpointed to the timeless tempo implied by the opening vibration. Bruckner when working on his symphonies may have had in mind certain programmes (as in the 4th) or certain programmes for parts of symphonies (as in the 8th) and he certainly referred to objective sounds like one of the calls of the Great Tit in the first movement of the 4th. And I think you can also say that different parts of his symphonies have different moods: calm and contented, mysterious, elated, even panic-stricken (parts of the Ninth). However, these are foreground to the cosmic background as it were.

I meant tremolos

:)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2016, 12:18:38 PM
There is a distinction between having confidence in your own ability and having confidence that you will receive recognition for your work.
Exactly, and what do composers want more than anything else: to get their works PERFORMED, or else why publish them? Bruckner was going to do anything: re-orchestrating, chopping, others rewriting, anything to his works performed. During his time these were works that were tediously long, requiring vast orchestral forces that the run-of-the mill orchestras just couldn't do.

And he did receive recognition for his work, the 7th symphony was an unqualified success and the 8th while not as lionized was premiered by a major orchestra.

Mirror Image

What does everyone think of Haitink's Bruckner cycle?

I've owned this set for years, but I don't think I've listened to it all that much. Any standout performances?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2016, 04:06:27 AM
What does everyone think of Haitink's Bruckner cycle?

I've owned this set for years, but I don't think I've listened to it all that much. Any standout performances?
Not really.  Sorry, a pretty superfluous set as anything out there is better. Only interesting if you must have the Dutch orchestra in this music, otherwise a real bore. 5 and 6 are ok but not real standouts. The others I don't remember being in any way memorable.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 23, 2016, 04:29:43 AM
Not really.  Sorry, a pretty superfluous set as anything out there is better. Only interesting if you must have the Dutch orchestra in this music, otherwise a real bore. 5 and 6 are ok but not real standouts. The others I don't remember being in any way memorable.

I'm starting to now remember what I don't like about this particular cycle. As you mentioned, I didn't really hear anything in Haitink's interpretations that stood out to me, which I suppose what prompted me to inquire about it.

André

The 1st and 8 th are dynamic and superbly played. Among my favourite performances. There are better accounts for the rest.

Brian

Well, there's somebody on GMG who thinks that set is among the best there is - I remember hearing that recommendation. I think Haitink comes close to getting the tempo right in 7's first movement - which is a rare quality. Am currently enjoying the Ninth from that set.

Karl Henning

At (I think) Jens's suggestion, I fetched in Haitink recordings of the Fifth (Bavarian Radio) and Sixth (Dresdner Staatskapelle) . . . also the Seventh (Chicago);  and I certainly enjoy all those thoroughly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Marc

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2016, 09:49:42 AM
At (I think) Jens's suggestion, I fetched in Haitink recordings of the Fifth (Bavarian Radio) and Sixth (Dresdner Staatskapelle) . . . also the Seventh (Chicago);  and I certainly enjoy all those thoroughly.

I enjoy that Dresdner 6th, too.
The other recordings I don't know, but then, I have to say, I'm not a true Bruckner connaisseur.

Apart from that: from the above mentioned Haitink set, I prefer the 'young' Bruckner symphonies, especially nos 1 & 2. They're bold and fresh and Haitink makes them sound like true masterpieces.
He later re-recorded nos 8 & 9 in the early 1980s with the Amsterdam forces (now officially OOP), and I consider them to be errr... quite magnificent. There's a noble depth in those performances, combined with supreme sound quality. Speaking of which: the boxset recording quality is splendid, too. I remember feeling very sad when I heard that Philips was to quit the recording bizz, because I loved their issues so much.

I never heard much mediocrity and dullness in Haitink's performances btw. If you want emotion and intensity on call, then go for conductors like Gergiev. If you want a recording that lasts a lifetime, and which will grow on you during the years, then go for Haitink.

Well, to some this may sound like utter bullshit, but there's nothing against bullshit, as long as God's blessing rests upon it, that's what I always say.
(Loosely translated, after Dutch writer Gerard Reve.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Marc on June 23, 2016, 11:05:58 AM
. . . from the above mentioned Haitink set, I prefer the 'young' Bruckner symphonies, especially nos 1 & 2. They're bold and fresh and Haitink makes them sound like true masterpieces.

He later re-recorded nos 8 & 9 in the early 1980s with the Amsterdam forces (now officially OOP), and I consider them to be errr... quite magnificent. There's a noble depth in those performances, combined with supreme sound quality. Speaking of which: the boxset recording quality is splendid, too. I remember feeling very sad when I heard that Philips was to quit the recording bizz, because I loved their issues so much.

I never heard much mediocrity and dullness in Haitink's performances btw.

I hold many* of his Shostakovich recordings and his entire Vaughan Williams cycle in high regard, indeed . . . which has at times seemed the contrarian position  8)

* I do not think I have heard all 15 symphonies from his Decca cycle.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Marc

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2016, 11:13:34 AM
I hold many* of his Shostakovich recordings and his entire Vaughan Williams cycle in high regard, indeed . . . which has at times seemed the contrarian position  8)

Right now I'm listening to Haitink's Bruckner 9 from 1981 (not in the above mentioned box) and it moves me. The Adagio is beautiful. Haitink doesn't turn the old Bruckner into a Mahler-avant-la-lettre, but gives this music its own space and time to sink in. Works great for me.

André

A powerful interpretation of the 7th. The disc cover mentions 1954. What I have is a copy a friend gave me, with his own notes. He mentions Aug. 5, 1964. John Berky's web site lists it as 1964 too. To me the sound is clearly 1964, not 1954 (clean, big dynamic range, very little hiss). Anyone has access to more information?

Be that as it may, it's one of the top performances of the work, ever.

Pat B

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2016, 07:50:08 AM
Well, there's somebody on GMG who thinks that set is among the best there is - I remember hearing that recommendation. I think Haitink comes close to getting the tempo right in 7's first movement - which is a rare quality. Am currently enjoying the Ninth from that set.

I don't know if you care but the 9th you posted in the listening thread is the later one Marc mentioned, not the one from his cycle.

Pat B

Quote from: André on June 24, 2016, 07:44:22 AM

A powerful interpretation of the 7th. The disc cover mentions 1954. What I have is a copy a friend gave me, with his own notes. He mentions Aug. 5, 1964. John Berky's web site lists it as 1964 too. To me the sound is clearly 1964, not 1954 (clean, big dynamic range, very little hiss). Anyone has access to more information?

Be that as it may, it's one of the top performances of the work, ever.

Hard to tell from that JPG but that's a 6.

http://testament.co.uk/carl-schuricht-2-cd-set-for-the-price-of-1-5.html

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2016, 11:13:34 AM

I agree with Karl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2016, 07:50:08 AM
Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2016, 09:49:42 AM

The former, not me. The latter, absolutely! I think that Haitink's Non-Official cycles tend to be better (for whatever reason; perhaps age) than the official ones... be it Mahler or Bruckner. I have that main Philips Bruckner cycles and I have his Vienna Bruckner recordings... and I really ought to listen to them more carefully again... but until now I've not been really caught swooning. But those extracurricular Bruckner recordings are real bangers. [Uhm, phrasing?!]