What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Harry on April 21, 2024, 05:46:14 AMOn the banks of the Seine.
Dufay Collective.
See back cover for details.
Recorded in 1996.

First of all this is a superb recording, all hail to Chandos. I never heard of this ensemble, never seen it mentioned anywhere.

Indeed, a most captivating recording. The Dufay Collective has been a prominent figure in the early music scene for over three decades. I own many of their recordings, among which I maybe prefer the two CDs featuring medieval estampies (from the Manuscript Royale and from the Italian manuscript now housed in London).

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7946164--medieval-music-a-dance-in-the-garden-of-mirth

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7991018--a-lestampida-medieval-dance-music
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

steve ridgway

Harry

Johnny,Cock thy Beaver.  ;D
See for all details back cover.
Recorded in 1995, Forde Abbey, Chard, Somerset, UK,

An ongoing pleasure the music making by the Dufay Collective. Superb performed and recorded. Especially soothing if your body is asking too much attention to pain points.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 21, 2024, 07:02:46 AMDebussy: La Mer

Meh, all the atmosphere's gone with pianos :'( .

Harry

Quote from: prémont on April 21, 2024, 06:20:48 AMIndeed, a most captivating recording. The Dufay Collective has been a prominent figure in the early music scene for over three decades. I own many of their recordings, among which I maybe prefer the two CDs featuring medieval estampies (from the Manuscript Royale and from the Italian manuscript now housed in London).

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7946164--medieval-music-a-dance-in-the-garden-of-mirth

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7991018--a-lestampida-medieval-dance-music

Both recordings are bookmarked Poul. Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm for this ensemble.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Quote from: Harry on April 21, 2024, 07:35:55 AMJohnny,Cock thy Beaver.  ;D
See for all details back cover.
Recorded in 1995.

An ongoing pleasure the music making by the Dufay Collective. Superb performed and recorded. Especially soothing if your body is asking too much attention to pain points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Up_Your_Beaver

Well you live and learn ;D .

Iota

Beethoven: Piano Sonata in E flat, Op. 7

Plenty of supple charm in Kim's approach to the (many) lyrical aspects of this sonata. Very enjoyable.

SonicMan46

Martinů - will be finishing up today w/ the recordings below (selections from the boxes) - his symphony compositions were concentrated in the 1940s (except No. 6) - David Hurwitz has a nice discussion (at the bottom), if interested; also reviews of the symphonies attached, Bryden Thomson seems to be one of the top choices.  Dave

Spotted Horses

This may be an unhealthy obsession with Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No 4, this time Sudbin, who also play the original 1926 version of the piece.

I think out of the three I listened to, Ghindin (original version), Hough (final version) and now Sudbin, Ghindin made the strongest impression.

The companion piece on the Sudbin was the Medner second concerto. Which seemed a bit weak on a quick sample, and quickly comparing to Demidenko, confirmed that impression (based on 15 second comparisons). I conclude Sudbin isn't my thing.

Reminds me I need to revisit Medtner, who I haven't listen to in ages, and that I should listen to some Rachmaninoff solo piano music, since Piano Concertos aren't really my thing anyway.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on April 20, 2024, 12:39:18 PMRoger Sessions' Symphonies No. 4 and No. 5, and Rhapsody for Orchestra. Christian Badea conducts the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

Who knew that such deliciously thorny music would find a home in Columbus, Ohio?

TD: (cross-post) The recent première of Canta la Sal by my teacher Judith Shatin:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 21, 2024, 05:57:13 AMKaprálová was definitely a major loss - when you see her dates its easy to assume she must have been another victim of the Nazis but apparently she probably died of typhoid fever misdiagnosed as miliary tuberculosis in Montpelier
Yes, I read that too. Such a great loss to music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2024, 07:50:09 AMMartinů - will be finishing up today w/ the recordings below (selections from the boxes) - his symphony compositions were concentrated in the 1940s (except No. 6) - David Hurwitz has a nice discussion (at the bottom), if interested; also reviews of the symphonies attached, Bryden Thomson seems to be one of the top choices.  Dave

Go for your Martinu!  ;D  Enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

VonStupp

Julius Fučík

Traum-Ideale, op. 69
Triglav, op. 72
Attila, op. 211
Czech PO - Vaclav Neumann

Um Mitternacht, op. 93
Czech PCO Pardubice - John Georgiadis

Last of the bits and bobs of Fučík hanging around.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

AnotherSpin

Op. 106, Qobuz names Dubravka Tomsic as performer, but it is Daniel Barenboim.

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
Symphony No.2 in B-flat major

Riccardo Chailly & RSO Berlin

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aukhawk on April 19, 2024, 09:26:13 AMI used to have one of those GEC metal-coned speakers mentioned on page 2 of that article.  Housed in a bulky octagonal bass-reflex cabinet that I (aged about 15) proudly placed in the corner of my parents' living room.  (Google image search:)  It was willed to me by a favourite uncle so my parents could hardly say no.

Ported in the bottom, and filled with long-fibre wool, the speaker very soon became home to a family of mice.

I'm envious!

Linz

Paul Hindemith Complete Cello Concertos, David Geringas, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Werner Andreas Albert