What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Walter Kaufmann: Symphony No.3
Aaron Avshalomov's 1st Symphony (familiar to you all I'm sure) came to mind as did Ernest Bloch and Respighi.
It's a magical and memorable score with a distinct Chinese feel to it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 17, 2024, 06:51:29 AMI found time to listen to the Dutilleux sonata, and it is indeed a brilliant work. Queffelec is superb, as always.

Indeed. It blew me away the first time I listened to it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 17, 2024, 08:01:16 AMI haven't heard of those works before now.  Did somebody else complete them?  What's the story, morning glory?  :)

PD

According to Wikipedia, King Arthur Suite was arranged from incidental music for a BBC Radio production (1937) by Paul Hindmarsh.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on May 16, 2024, 02:35:58 PMThis is the real thing.... :)

Sounds great! Nice recording.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 16, 2024, 03:35:11 PMRegarding Belgian music, that CD has become a sort of classic.

Yes, one of my favorite Marco Polo recordings.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Leopold Nowak and Te Deum Temple Univesity Choir. Maria Stader soprano, Helen Vanni Mezzo - Soprano, Stanley Koke Tenor, Donald Gramm Bass, Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy

Bachtoven

This is quite dark and violent at times. He reminds me a bit of Allan Pettersson.

Lisztianwagner

Ralph Vaughan Williams
English Folk Song Suite*
In the Fen Country
The Lark Ascending

Hugh Bean (violin)
Sir Adrian Boult & London Symphony Orchestra*/New Philharmonia Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Traverso

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 17, 2024, 10:26:51 AMSounds great! Nice recording.

great series, World Music Library from King Records

Linz

Elgar The Black Knight & Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands, Richard Hickox; London Symphony Orchestra; London Symphony Chorus

Lisztianwagner

Alfred Schnittke
Concerto for Piano and Strings

Igor Khudolei (piano)
Valeri Polyansky & Russian State Symphony Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bacewicz SY 3 and 4.

Linz

Bruckner Mass No. 2 in E minor, Choir of St. Hedwig's Cathedral, Berlin - Berliner Philharmonker, Karl Forster
Symphony in D Minor, "Nullte" (1924 Version, Ed. J. von Wöss), Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, Eduard van Beinum

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 17, 2024, 09:49:19 AMIndeed. It blew me away the first time I listened to it.

Same here. I have no qualms about Queffelec, but I noticed that I have a recording by John Ogden in a box set, and that there is a Kathryn Stott recording (and I am an admirer of hers). It's always nice to have different views of a complex work.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Bloch: String Quartet No. 3

Rather airless and dry recording.

Unfortunately, the Pro Arte Quartet doesn't sound much better, like it was recorded in a bathroom.

Uhor

Bachtoven

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 17, 2024, 08:01:16 AMOut of curiosity, I just checked out the listings on Amazon (for the individual CD).  The highest prices that I saw for it new (or used) was $45 and $35--both by the same vendor.  Did they adjust their price(s?)?  Or did someone actually pay that much for it? 

PD

The vendor isn't listed now.

Maybe they saw my post and got scared.
TD
Opus 71

In B Flat Hob. III:69
In D.        Hob. III:70
In E Flat Hob. III:71

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 17, 2024, 02:15:36 PMSame here. I have no qualms about Queffelec, but I noticed that I have a recording by John Ogden in a box set, and that there is a Kathryn Stott recording (and I am an admirer of hers). It's always nice to have different views of a complex work.

I have it with the rest of Dutilleux's piano music played by Robert Levin

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk