What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Bach

Back to the organ again...

CD 1

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 26, 2024, 06:33:03 AMThread duty.  An amazing performance of La Mer and the Nocturnes:

You've got to love the look on Boulez's face here "What? You want to take another photo of me? I'm about to have lunch!" ;D
"Music is not a salvation, but it helps you to endure...endure until you finally can lay down and rest." ― Allan Pettersson

Mirror Image

NP:

Bartók
Five Hungarian Folksongs, Sz 101, BB 108
Júlia Hamari, mezzo-soprano
Hungarian State Orchestra
András Kórodi

From this OOP set -

"Music is not a salvation, but it helps you to endure...endure until you finally can lay down and rest." ― Allan Pettersson

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 26, 2024, 06:33:03 AMThread duty.  An amazing performance of La Mer and the Nocturnes:

Agreed. In almost every case I prefer Boulez' earlier recordings on Columbia (Sony) to the later recordings on DG.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Before heading out for the day (thank goodness it's my Friday):

Bax
Saga Fragment
Margaret Fingerhut, piano
LPO
Thomson

@Harry got me to thinking about Bax from his listening the other day, so why not listen to a work I haven't heard in probably 15 years.

A side note: I really ought to spend more time exploring Bax's oeuvre.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 26, 2024, 07:25:08 AMAgreed. In almost every case I prefer Boulez' earlier recordings on Columbia (Sony) to the later recordings on DG.

Me, too. Although there are some exceptions, it seems to me there is a greater energy in his earlier performances, but I do rather like his Mahler cycle on DG. It would've been nice to hear him in the Mahler symphonies during his New York Philharmonic heyday, though.

Karl Henning

Today's reading always puts me in mind of this anthem:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DaveF

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 26, 2024, 07:48:06 AMToday's reading always puts me in mind of this anthem:

Well, it always reminds me, whether I want to be or not, of:

Who's yours by, Karl?  I was hanging in waiting for some polytonal note-clusters that would reveal it as Ives having a laugh, but they didn't arrive.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2024, 07:43:15 AMMe, too. Although there are some exceptions, it seems to me there is a greater energy in his earlier performances, but I do rather like his Mahler cycle on DG. It would've been nice to hear him in the Mahler symphonies during his New York Philharmonic heyday, though.

And I will be listening to his Bruckner 8 which everyone is talking about but yeah I also agree with you two... I want to revisit sony/columbia Boulez especially in Stravinsky and Schoenberg.  It has been awhile.

SonicMan46

Today I'm 'downsizing' my Goldberg Variations collection from just over a dozen (3 categories: non-piano KB, piano, & other instruments, including small chamber groups) - below my 'keepers' for the harpsichord-clavichord group (latter w/ Tuma who also does a harpsichord performance). There are just TOO many good recordings over decades of these works on keyboard instruments to pick easily!  :D   Dave

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 26, 2024, 08:59:31 AMAnd I will be listening to his Bruckner 8 which everyone is talking about but yeah I also agree with you two... I want to revisit sony/columbia Boulez especially in Stravinsky and Schoenberg.  It has been awhile.

I hate to rain on the parade, but Boulez' Bruckner 8 did nothing for me. I did enjoy his recording of Mahler 6, although did not displace my favorites.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: DaveF on May 26, 2024, 08:45:31 AMWell, it always reminds me, whether I want to be or not, of:

Who's yours by, Karl?  I was hanging in waiting for some polytonal note-clusters that would reveal it as Ives having a laugh, but they didn't arrive.
David McK. Williams.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Claude Debussy
Images

Pianist: Jean-Efflam Bavouzet

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Symphonic Addict

Delius: Appalachia

Whenever I give this work a spin, I'm convinced it has to be one of my favorites by him.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Offenbach: Concerto Militaire, for cello and orchestra

Fun and demanding work for soloists.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

brewski

Schnittke: Tango from Faust Cantata (Fiona Kimm, mezzo-soprano / London Schools Symphony Orchestra / Sian Edwards, conductor). Of course, once I started poking around, there are many versions of this striking sequence, such as this one. Especially grateful for the English translations of the text.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

SonicMan46

Well, still on my Bach Goldberg Variations - have reduced my half dozen non-KB recordings to just the three below, i.e. Aulos Quartett w/ two oboes, Trio Echanton (a string trio) and Kurt Rodarmer on guitar BUT not solo, using multiple guitars (esp. two for this project, including a 'bass' instrument), he multi-tracts himself playing multiple guitars to simulate the playing of a keyboardist - the most interesting listening of the threesome - a must hear IMO - recommended to me by another member of the forum (sorry, forgot who?) - Dave

Symphonic Addict

Toch: Piano Concerto No. 1

Such a brilliant score, with the right dose of dissonances to make it tasty and quirky. It could easily make my list of favorite 20th century piano concertos. BTW, the Piano Concerto No. 2 is the Symphony for piano and orchestra.

Noam Chomsky