What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 17, 2020, 07:34:42 AM
I should revisit that work. Lutoslawski's symphonies haven't exactly hit me like so many of his other have.

What compositions do you prefer? Lutoslawski is kind of a new composer to me, although I heard about him long time ago.

ritter

Some Igor Fyodorovich this morning: Perséphone, Ode, Monumentum pro Gesualdo di Venosa, all coducted by the composer.

CD 19 of the "cheap" edition (the one I keep at the office).

Artem

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 17, 2020, 02:44:21 PM
Outstanding work, so are the symphonies 1 and 3. The No. 4 is a bit ellusive to me.
Will need to look for those at shops here.

Harry

Ignatz Waghalter.

Violin music.
Royal PO, Alexander Walker.
Irmina Trynkos, Violin.
Giorgi Latsabidze, Piano.

I am a great admirer of this composer. But he seems to get little attention, which is a pity.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good morning all.

Satie - 3 Sarabandes

Olivier

vandermolen

Bliss: A Colour Symphony
A fabulous performance and recording. This is now my favourite, much as I like the Groves version. I hadn't realised that it's dedicated to Boult and am surprised that AFAIK he never recorded it:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Harry

Intermezzi del Verismo.😊

Philharmonisches Orchester Graz, Lodovico Zocche.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 17, 2020, 11:21:19 PM
Poor Debussy! Poor Villa-Lobos! Betrayed and stabbed in the back.  ;D
:laugh: I like that when John goes 'full-in', he goes 'full-in'.  Like someone who has found a new love, he totally forgets the charms and appeal of his old love (at least for a while).  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Traverso

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Revisiting Darius Milhaud's Le carnaval de Londres.

I was very favourably impressed by this work when I first encountered it a couple of days ago, but this time around I'm positively blown away. This is so happy music! In essence, its an orchestral suite with themes from The Beggar's Opera, and this is what the liner notes of the Hyperion CD (written by Robert Matthew-Walker) say about its gestation:

As was Milhaud's custom, no sooner had he completed his arrangements of Gay's ballad-opera than he utilized several of the tunes in a concert work for small orchestra (single wind, timpani, harp, percussion and strings), calling it Le carnaval de Londres and completing it by the end of September. Milhaud conducted the broadcast premiere of his version of The Beggar's Opera on Radio Marseille; Manuel Rosenthal conducted the first performance of Le carnaval de Londres in 1939 at a Revue Musicale concert. As with Le carnaval d'Aix, it is not necessary to know the story of the seminal work to appreciate the skill and charm, the beauty and allure of this enchanting work, whose joie de vivre is so typical of this composer at his most light-hearted. His settings of the old themes, and folk material – notably Lillibulero – are accomplished with considerable affection and artistry.

The opening Bal -- Ouverture is an unlikely arrangement of Over the Hills and far Away using a....rumba rhythm! Outlandish, but really effective and engaging, and quite wonderfully scored. The recording under Ronald Corp is excellent.

Here's the whole work, but in another recording. If you listen to the first 1'21" (the overture), you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, the percussionist in  this particular reading seems to have some trouble with the rumba rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/v/c-Xi6xJoxZQ&t=32s

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2020, 05:44:33 AM

I was very favourably impressed by this work when I first encountered it a couple of days ago, but this time around I'm positively blown away. This is so happy music!

[size=9pt]this enchanting work, whose joie de vivre is so typical of this composer at his most light-hearted. [/size]

What? No seriousness, no profound thoughts on love, death and fate? Mere happy, light-hearted music beguiling the audience? And you are blown away by it? The end is near!  ;D

Buenas tardes, don Rafael!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on November 18, 2020, 05:59:25 AM
What? No seriousness, no profound thoughts on love, death and fate? Mere happy, light-hearted music beguiling the audience? And you are blown away by it? The end is near!  ;D

Buenas tardes, don Rafael!
Good afternoon to you, Andrei!

Harry

Paul Ben Haim
Symphony No. 1.
Fanfare to Israel.
Symphonic Metamorphoses on a Bach Chorale,
"Wer nun den lieben Gott last walten".

NDR Radiophilharmonie Hannover, Israel Yinon.

A fine performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on November 17, 2020, 11:21:19 PM
Poor Debussy! Poor Villa-Lobos! Betrayed and stabbed in the back.  ;D

I don't consider Debussy or Villa-Lobos Romantic composers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2020, 05:44:33 AM

I was very favourably impressed by this work when I first encountered it a couple of days ago, but this time around I'm positively blown away. This is so happy music! In essence, its an orchestral suite with themes from The Beggar's Opera, and this is what the liner notes of the Hyperion CD (written by Robert Matthew-Walker) say about its gestation:

[size=9pt]As was Milhaud's custom, no sooner had he completed his arrangements of Gay's ballad-opera than he utilized several of the tunes in a concert work for small orchestra (single wind, timpani, harp, percussion and strings), calling it Le carnaval de Londres and completing it by the end of September. Milhaud conducted the broadcast premiere of his version of The Beggar's Opera on Radio Marseille; Manuel Rosenthal conducted the first performance of Le carnaval de Londres in 1939 at a Revue Musicale concert. As with Le carnaval d'Aix, it is not necessary to know the story of the seminal work to appreciate the skill and charm, the beauty and allure of this enchanting work, whose joie de vivre is so typical of this composer at his most light-hearted. His settings of the old themes, and folk material – notably Lillibulero – are accomplished with considerable affection and artistry.[/size]

The opening Bal -- Ouverture is an unlikely arrangement of Over the Hills and far Away using a....rumba rhythm! Outlandish, but really effective and engaging, and quite wonderfully scored. The recording under Ronald Corp is excellent.

Here's the whole work, but in another recording. If you listen to the first 1'21" (the overture), you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, the percussionist in  this particular reading seems to have some trouble with the rumba rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/v/c-Xi6xJoxZQ&t=32s

Good day to you, Rafael. A very cool, fun work, indeed. I rather enjoy it --- the enthusiasm and joy in the music almost has an unhinged quality about it and I could say this about a good bit of Milhaud's work.

On a similar note...NP:

Milhaud
Violin Concerto No. 2, Op. 263
Steinbacher
Munich RO
Pinchas Steinberg

Harry

Anonymous-Six Concertos.

Aus der Sammlung Mus. 2Q-21, Schranck II der Sächsisches Landesbibliothek-Staats und Universitäts bibliothek Dresden.

Les Amis de Philippe, Ludger Remy.

A must for every Baroque enthusiast.