Traverso

Debussy

Children's Corner
Page d'album
La plus que Lente
Élégie

Livia Rev  Saga recordings

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Bach St Matthew Passion in preparation for Easter with Nikolaus Harnoncourt CD1

aukhawk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 14, 2022, 06:59:10 AM
Thanks Madiel & David for your thoughts on the London Haydn Quartet (LHQ); as I'm listening to them along w/ the Q. Festetics (QF) & now Q. Mosaiques (QM) in a kind of A:B comparison, I'm preferring the Quatuors period instruments and performances more - also returned to the Haydn Haus thread and searched on the LHQ - numerous posts w/ much varied opinions about the group - I was likely somewhat awed that the series was still ongoing and many of the reviews quite positive (and some dreadful such as the Classics Today reviewers - however, when Hurwitz goes that low I feel he must have eaten a bad meal -  ;D).  At any rate, I'm quite happy with the period recordings of QF and QM, so a third might not be needed in my collection - perhaps I should look for a 'modern performance'?  Thanks again - Dave :)

The Dorics have done some good Haydn SQ.  Modern instruments and style, but HIP-informed, a world away from LHQ (who I too don't like very much) but also a world away from QF and Kodaly for that matter.

aligreto

Elgar under the baton of Anthony Collins:

Introduction & Allegro for Strings: This is a powerful, intense and atmospheric presentation of this fine work.

Serenade for Strings: This work is light, bright and airy.

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on April 14, 2022, 07:53:56 AM
We can still be friends, Fergus;)

True friendship is accepting one's friend's flaws even if they do not like the sound of solo piano.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on April 14, 2022, 10:28:36 AM
True friendship is accepting one's friend's flaws even if they do not like the sound of solo piano.  ;D

Or conversely, if they listen mostly to solo pano music.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: aukhawk on April 14, 2022, 09:44:47 AM
The Dorics have done some good Haydn SQ.  Modern instruments and style, but HIP-informed, a world away from LHQ (who I too don't like very much) but also a world away from QF and Kodaly for that matter.

Thanks for the recommendation - will take a look - now listening to a 'modern' version of the Haydn SQs, Op. 50 that I've own for a long time - not sure if they did anymore?  Dave :)

Linz

CD2 now

classicalgeek

Quote from: Linz on April 14, 2022, 08:16:40 AM
Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 4 Leon Fleisher and Georg Szell and the Clevelan Orchestra

Nice!! Fleisher/Szell have been always my reference recording for Beethoven Piano Concertos.

TD: more Atterberg, and more spellbinding music:

Atterberg
Suite no. 5 'Suite Barocco'
Suite no. 8 'Suite Pastorale in modo antico'
*String quartet
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Kurt Atterberg
*Saulesco Quartet

(on Qobuz)

The Suites are just charming, and full of beautiful music; the 'Suite Pastorale' has a distinctly Nordic flavor. They remind me of the works of Respighi in the same vein. The String Quartet didn't pique my interest quite as much, but it's still a fine work; it just takes me a little longer to "warm up" to chamber music than orchestral music.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Linz

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 14, 2022, 11:20:07 AM
Nice!! Fleisher/Szell have been always my reference recording for Beethoven Piano Concertos.

TD: more Atterberg, and more spellbinding music:

Atterberg
Suite no. 5 'Suite Barocco'
Suite no. 8 'Suite Pastorale in modo antico'
*String quartet
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Kurt Atterberg
*Saulesco Quartet

(on Qobuz)

The Suites are just charming, and full of beautiful music; the 'Suite Pastorale' has a distinctly Nordic flavor. They remind me of the works of Respighi in the same vein. The String Quartet didn't pique my interest quite as much, but it's still a fine work; it just takes me a little longer to "warm up" to chamber music than orchestral music.
Thank you

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2022, 08:43:09 AM
Yes the Festetics reign supreme in my book.  For MI on the pre-Op 20 SQs I prefer Kodaly, and on Op 20 onwards Angeles and Auryn.  The former is oop though, and the latter is expensive.

Yep David - I've been looking at the MI offerings on Amazon and not much available from your post-Op. 20 suggestions above - the Kodaly box of 25 discs is going for $80 - not ready to buy (have about $20 credit there at the moment) but curious about the packaging, i.e. I hope that this is not 25 single jewel boxes vs. paper or cardboard sleeves?  Any help appreciated - thanks.  Dave

Linz

Finale CD now

André

I found Badura-Skoda's playing here rather ungainly. Impressive but stern and joyless. Another disc I listened to (with 475/457) was excellent. This one's not to my liking

vandermolen

Nielsen 'Pan and Syrinx' Rattle CBSO:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 14, 2022, 11:34:35 AM
Yep David - I've been looking at the MI offerings on Amazon and not much available from your post-Op. 20 suggestions above - the Kodaly box of 25 discs is going for $80 - not ready to buy (have about $20 credit there at the moment) but curious about the packaging, i.e. I hope that this is not 25 single jewel boxes vs. paper or cardboard sleeves?  Any help appreciated - thanks.  Dave

Looks like sleeves: https://denigma.io/post/226

I collected them individually back in the day.

Linz

C P E Bach Die Auferstehung und Himmelfahrt Jesu

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2022, 12:51:38 PM
Looks like sleeves: https://denigma.io/post/226

I collected them individually back in the day.

Thanks David for the link above - definitely 'sleeves' w/ a large booklet - Discogs has the Auryn sets but at outrageous prices and probably true of many of the other suggestions - Kodaly seems like the best current deal?  Dave :)

Todd

Revisiting for the first time in a while.  As good as I remembered.  Primakov really ought to start recording again.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya