What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW, AnotherSpin and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Rued Langgaard.

The Symphonies.
Disc V.

No 9 "From Dagmar"s City"/
No. 10 "Yon Hall of Thunder".
No. 11 "Ixion"
Danish National SO, Thomas Dausgaard.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 2 in A major
Paul Lewis (piano)

Operafreak

Sibelius: Symphonies Nos 3, 6 & 7- Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vänskä
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mirror Image

Now playing Strauss Der Rosenkavalier Suite with Ormandy and the Philadelphians:

TheGSMoeller

Seeing a lot of Sibelius posts the past few days, ironically that's been spinning at my home a ton the past week. Perhaps it's the changing of the seasons, I've always found Sibelius' music to be very pastoral and ethereal and his tone has been hitting me different lately. I've always loved his music but recently have been able to connect to it on a much more personal level.
A few notes... I love how some of the movements from his symphonies don't always end on a full resolution but rather conclude briefly as a perfect segue to the following movement, more of a quick turn of the page and on to the next chapter of a book. I think of the 4th and 6th symphonies as examples of these transitions.
Anyways that's only one note really, but here are just a few of the recordings I've been enjoying recently...

Mirror Image

Now playing Shostakovich Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 54 with Previn and the LSO:

I bought all of Previn's Shostakovich recordings as Japanese reissues and love them all.

Cato

Quote from: Cato on May 18, 2022, 05:20:13 PM

Courtesy of someone from the Schoenberg website: an excellent rendition of the First String Quartet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00175rr

I should mention that the link will be valid for about 3 more weeks.

In recent days:

Cesar Franck: Psalm 150  I have loved this work since I first heard it at my parish church over 60 years ago. I cannot believe that a CD of it is nearly impossible to find right now.  Mine apparently is out-of-print, a performance with a mixed choir of boys and men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ik4tRKNoOc

Also:

[asin]B09RCL55GJ[/asin]

Chamber music from the post-Romantic Nikolai, the 20th-century modernist Alexander, and the more experimental Ivan.  All the pieces have different strengths and things to fascinate you!

The Flute-player is the widow of Ivan Tcherepnin.

And...

[asin]B000TMCG8S[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Papy Oli

Olivier

Spotted Horses

Although Brahms is the most important composer to me, there are a few of his significant works that I seem to have been "saving" for my old age, or at least so I can look forward to discovering something new from him. Today I started on one of those bits of undiscovered territory, the late piano works.

Op 116, Paul Lewis.

Too profound to be absorbed at one sitting, but I found myself mesmerized. Just out of curiosity I listed to the first piece from the set in recordings from Wilhelm Kempff and Aldo Ciccolini. Wow, a wide range of interpretation is possible in this music. The Lewis recording is superbly performed and recorded.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on May 18, 2022, 10:15:13 PM
I like Platti, and have some of the discs you pictured!  :)

I also have the recordings below, and very happy with them.
These are presumably the same sonatas as in the Calligione recording on Brilliant, but in a version whith the lute as basso continuo?

Hi Que - I've looked at that set and decided my other was fine (cannot remember if I did a Spotify listen though - will take a look) - on my Amazon perusal not much more available and many used and way overpriced (like the second pic below) - the Loreggian piqued my interest, but was $20+ USD there - only $16 at PrestoMusic and in my cart but need to add 5-6 more items to justify shipping.  Ravizza is now in a 4-disc box - I have the first CD but the Fanfare reviews were somewhat negative as to the sound recording (again, maybe a Spotify listen?), but w/ his first and the other of last sonatas, I already own half, so may be enough?  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: just ordered the Loreggian from the PrestoMusic sale, about $14 USD (including the shipping); added 5 other CDs.

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 19, 2022, 07:20:44 AM
Although Brahms is the most important composer to me, there are a few of his significant works that I seem to have been "saving" for my old age, or at least so I can look forward to discovering something new from him. Today I started on one of those bits of undiscovered territory, the late piano works.

Op 116, Paul Lewis.

Too profound to be absorbed at one sitting, but I found myself mesmerized. Just out of curiosity I listed to the first piece from the set in recordings from Wilhelm Kempff and Aldo Ciccolini. Wow, a wide range of interpretation is possible in this music. The Lewis recording is superbly performed and recorded.

Agreed
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Pleyel, Ignaz (1757-1831) - Austrian born French composer, publisher, and piano maker (along w/ his son) - nice bio HERE; a pupil of Haydn - Pleyel was a prolific composer w/ over 700 works in the Benton catalog (Rita Benton, Ignace Pleyel. A Thematic Catalogue of His Compositions. New York: Pendragon Press, 1977), including 40 Symphonies, 36 String Quintets, and 70 String Quartets!  My collection has 20 recordings mainly of the works listed in the previous sentence - don't plan to listen to all but starting w/ the ones below - also, there is a Pleyel thread for those interested w/ a LOT of recordings shown and discussed.  Dave :)

Bachtoven

I saw this on another forum and had to buy it! It's very good--lots of motor energy in the outer movements and almost child-like simplicity in the slow movement. DSD64 from NativeDSD.com. (It's an "EP"--only 20 minutes of music.)

Maestro267

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Staatskapelle Dresden/C. Davis

Bachtoven

The heir to Julian Bream's throne.

Symphonic Addict

Leifs: Trilogia Piccola, op. 1

Three granitic and powerful little pieces. A very substantial Opus 1.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Granville Bantock
Celtic Symphony

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ritter

First listen to this new acquisition:

Most enjoyable... :)