What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46, Harry, akebergv (+ 1 Hidden) and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on July 27, 2022, 01:04:16 AM
The pile of culled CD's is getting higher, and I start worrying what to do with them, for no one seems to want discarded CD's.

Same here. No interest whatsoever...
In the UK and Germany there are online companies that will take everything and resell it ( dodax, momox/medimops), but no such luck in the Netherlands. I can buy from them, but not sell...

Harry

Quote from: Que on July 27, 2022, 01:58:41 AM
Same here. No interest whatsoever...
In the UK and Germany there are online companies that will take everything and resell it ( dodax, momox/medimops), but no such luck in the Netherlands. I can buy from them, but not sell...

That's a bummer. Well I will bring them to a charity shop we have in the place I live in, my last option.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 13 Op. 27/1 [Fischer]

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.3 in D minor. Bernard Haitink, Bavarian RSO, etc.

I love this recording. RIP maestro Haitink.

Traverso

Bach

Das Woltemperierte Clavier book 2

Started with book 1 with van Asperen, now on with book 2 and Glen Wilson.

Glen Wilson Harpsichord 

( Sassmann & Kramer,Húckeswagen, after Christian Zell,Hamburg 1728)

Madiel

Sibelius: Kyllikki

Exciting stuff in Mertanen's hands.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 27, 2022, 03:17:23 AM
I love this recording. RIP maestro Haitink.

In the autumn of his life he made some amazing recordings in Munich and Dresden.

aligreto

Brahms: Violin Sonata No. 2 [Perlman/Ashkenazy]

The opening movement is wonderfully lyrical and it is played with refinement and a restrained passion which is wonderfully expressive. I find that this performance, although animated in places, also has quite a serene aspect to it. The slow movement is also wonderfully lyrical, expressive and serene. It also has a playful section to it which is wonderfully played. The tone and atmosphere of the final movement is not that much different from the two preceding movements. This does not lend for great musical contrast but it does lend for great musical uniformity. There is no sustained final flourish.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on July 27, 2022, 03:37:24 AM
In the autumn of his life he made some amazing recordings in Munich and Dresden.

+1

Que

"This recording presents the première recording of the Grande Sonate, an anonymous arrangement for fortepiano and basset clarinet of Mozart's Clarinet Quintet. Mozart's Clarinet Quintet and Clarinet Concerto were originally written for the basset clarinet which has four more chromatic notes at the bottom of its range than the standard clarinet."

Madiel

Sibelius, The Captive Queen op.48

After regularly writing works for choir and orchestra, this would be Sibelius' last new work of that kind for over a decade. Some good moments but maybe overall it's a bit too bound up in Finnish patriotism of the time to travel well.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Malcolm Arnold, Clarinet Concertos No. 1 & 2.
Scherzetto for Clarinet and Orchestra.

Elizabeth Machonchy.
Concertino No. 1 & 2.

Benjamin Britten.
Movement for clarinet.

Thea King, Clarinet.
English chamber Orchestra, Barry Wordsworth.

A wonderful mix of Clarinet music on this CD. And really well recorded. Thea King is a sublime Clarinetist.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Poulenc, La Courte Paille

I feel Felicity Lott delivers a couple of wobbly moments in the first song (including right at the start), but in general this maintains the quality of the rest of this excellent disc. On to volume 2!

bhodges

A fabulous new film version of Steve Reich's Violin Phase (1967) with Jonathan Morton, principal violin of the London Sinfonietta. (Hat tip to technology, with Jonathan x 4, which makes the phasing even clearer.) Morton takes it a bit faster than the original recording, with the late, great Paul Zukofsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF479y9Gsr8

--Bruce

André

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 27, 2022, 02:59:02 AM
Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 06 
    Adrian Boult, London Philharmonic Orchestra

I don't think I really knew that Boult ever did Shostakovich. But this 1958 sounds as if it was recorded yesterday, and I think Boult brings a special depth to the performance. The long, slow opening movement seems to suit him very well, for example.

This is plain and simple the most honest and natural performance of the work I know. I keep returning to it to hear what Shostakovich wrote, not what insights a conductor has.

Papy Oli

R. Strauss - Horn Concertos No.1 & No.2 (Kempe box)

Olivier

André

Bridge Records have been generous in their advocacy of Lerdahl's music, with at least 6 discs in their catalogue. This comes with an encomium by fellow composer Carl Voss. The program is varied and well put together: an orchestral work, a series of 12 waltzes for violin, viola, cello and double bass, then a substantial Duo for violin and piano and finally another work for orchestra. Boredom never sets in and the works are all interesting. I'm happy to have this but don't intend to buy more.

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on July 27, 2022, 01:04:16 AM
I am on a culling spree through my collection.
Today I removed all Chamber music I have by Malcolm Arnold.
Meaning the Hyperion and Naxos recordings. The Music did not appeal to me anymore, that happens sometimes.
The symphonies though are still favourites with me, so not all is lost.
The pile of culled CD's is getting higher, and I start worrying what to do with them, for no one seems to want discarded CD's.

Hi Harry - same problem here - I've been going through my classical collection most of this year and have culled out dozens if not several hundred or more CDs (most to reduce the size but also some replacements and very few additions) - I use to have 3-4 places that would buy them for a dollar or two but now it's down to nickels and dimes.  For several years I've donated them to a local charity, along w/ books - they have an annual 'book sale' and make 20 or 30K dollars which pays for a lot of their budget.  Never asked what they made off my CDs?  But would be curious?  Dave :)