What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Henri Sauguet: Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire'
A most underrated work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on May 15, 2024, 12:46:50 AMI am in the middle of some renovations in my listening room, so ya all have some rest from my incessant posting.
In effect that means I will listen in my office sporadically, for it will take at least another month before all is ready in the listening room. That is if all goods arrive in time. So I know you are all sad that I am temporarily out of the thread duty....or not, but for those interested, now you know ;D  ;D  ;D
I enjoy reading your posts!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on May 15, 2024, 12:46:50 AMI am in the middle of some renovations in my listening room, so ya all have some rest from my incessant posting.
In effect that means I will listen in my office sporadically, for it will take at least another month before all is ready in the listening room. That is if all goods arrive in time. So I know you are all sad that I am temporarily out of the thread duty....or not, but for those interested, now you know ;D  ;D  ;D
What all are you having done Harry?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 09:10:50 AMWhat all are you having done Harry?

PD

Too much to tell now, but when ready I give full enclosure  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on May 15, 2024, 09:07:47 AMI enjoy reading your posts!

I am afraid you are the only one dear Jeffrey,  ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Harry on May 15, 2024, 10:03:59 AMI am afraid you are the only one dear Jeffrey,  ;D  ;D
Oh, I don't think so.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on May 15, 2024, 10:03:59 AMI am afraid you are the only one dear Jeffrey,  ;D  ;D
Noooo!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book, Farnaby,  Anon, Byrd, Inglott, Philips, Peerson and Mundy

vandermolen

Lisztianwagner

Igor Stravinsky
The Rite of Spring

Pierre Boulez & Cleveland Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Bachtoven

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2024, 09:10:01 AMYour new avatar is particularly fitting!  ;)

PD
I have that image on a t-shirt! And this one, too:

Bachtoven

His playing is too pedestrian/ponderous for my taste.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Carter Pann piano concerto.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 In E Major, 1885 Original Version. Ed. Robert Haas, Wiener Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan 

Mapman

Brahms: Piano Sonata #1, Op. 1
Katchen

Mapman

Mendelssohn: Symphony #4
Abbado: LSO

Daverz

Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3 - Paavo Jarvi and the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra.

I'm still not very familiar with the Lobgesang Symphony, but the performance of the Scottish is excellent.

Symphonic Addict

These two works by Britten:

Quatre chansons françaises (Jill Gomez, Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham SO)
Sinfonietta, op. 1 (version with two horns)

Remarkable both pieces.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven